Kraton METAL DIFF CASE #ARA220050

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had no problems with mine and it's been in my Infraction since I got it, it's filled with 500k no leaks and none of the screws have come loose...??? I used blue 243 on the screws..?

View attachment 69470

Only issue I had was I picked up some rocks/stones somewhere and it ended up looking like this...?

View attachment 69471View attachment 69472

My OCD wouldn't let me continue like that so I bought another new one..??
I hate mine. lol I swear I didn't do anything wrong (I often do it wrong.) ...the screw holes refuse to line up no matter what I did!
I do have a couple new plastci stock ones that I'm going back to. I'm sad that it didn't work for me lol

I have all my diffs repalced with the arrma aluminum. Works great and fits perfect. Make sure to shim it correctly. Also use orange thread locker on those diff screws. I forgot to use any thread locker on the center diff and the screw slippped out and chewed my center mount. View attachment 69423
Hey I'm just about to install the ARA220050 in my centre do you shim it the same as the front and rear? 2 on one side 1 on the other for total of 6 inside plus 2 outside bearing ones? And I guess no need for the tombstone pieces in the metal dif?

Built mine no problem so far. I used 1 shim behind each planetary gear and 2 shims on 1 side and 1 on the other for the internal satellite gears total was 8 shims so just 2 more then stock filled with 500k and put on a HR 50T harden steel mod 1 spur gear part# AON50T. Hopefully it works out well I still have to do the front and rear but that will be another night 2:30am where I'm at guess I should get some rest
15919430872873229818489766624470.jpg
15919431243908122876270734690527.jpg

Last edited:
Built mine no problem so far. I used 1 shim behind each satellite gear and 2 shims on 1 side and 1 on the other for the internal gears total was 8 shims

satellite gears are the little internal gears ... the planetary gears are the big ones on both sides of the diff cup..

When you put them together the instructions say to do 2 on each planetary... I’d definitely do that part. As for the internal satellite gears id add the extra shim on one each just like a standard diff cup. That’s just my thoughts. Made mine nice n snug. ??

satellite gears are the little internal gears ... the planetary gears are the big ones on both sides of the diff cup..

When you put them together the instructions say to do 2 on each planetary... I’d definitely do that part. As for the internal satellite gears id add the extra shim on one each just like a standard diff cup. That’s just my thoughts. Made mine nice n snug. ??
How many shims total did you use?
I tried to put 2 on the planetary but could not stick the pin in the hole. there was not enough room to slide the pin through I did use the new O ring then 1 shim on top and it fit snug

How many shims total did you use?
I tried to put 2 on the planetary but could not stick the pin in the hole. there was not enough room to slide the pin through I did use the new O ring then 1 shim on top and it fit snug
So, it would be 10 total. 2 under each planetary =4 and then 2-1 2-1 on the satellite gears =6 I hope that makes sense.

Have you seen the TP video for the bulletproof diff that is stickied somewhere here? I built it just like that. Except you don’t use the tombstones with the aluminum cup :).

I’m thinking maybe the O-ring May have not been fully seated not allowing the 2nd shim in. I use a mess of the green slime to make sure it seats then I push the o-ring down with the 1st shim I put in and hold it snug as I slide the lubed diff cup through then put the 2nd planetary shim on and then pin in.

Yeah I watched the video I think it maybe because I'm only using the Arrma shims that come with the diff assembly I don't have any thinner ones atm
Is that 50T HR spur lighter than the stock Arrma one..??
I'm not sure of the weight but I'm guessing it's lighter due to all the holes ?

So, it would be 10 total. 2 under each planetary =4 and then 2-1 2-1 on the satellite gears =6 I hope that makes sense.

Have you seen the TP video for the bulletproof diff that is stickied somewhere here? I built it just like that. Except you don’t use the tombstones with the aluminum cup :).

I’m thinking maybe the O-ring May have not been fully seated not allowing the 2nd shim in. I use a mess of the green slime to make sure it seats then I push the o-ring down with the 1st shim I put in and hold it snug as I slide the lubed diff cup through then put the 2nd planetary shim on and then pin in.
I can't find the vid you are talking about. When you have a moment could you find it and link it here please.

So it is just 1 shim behind the planetary not 2 that makes sense as I couldn't fit 2 ?

So it is just 1 shim behind the planetary not 2 that makes sense as I couldn't fit 2 ?

The instructions https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA220050 say to use two shims. I had no issues using two shims. The vid linked earlier is for building the composite diffs. Not trying to brag but I have built 12 of these diffs with the 220050 cups and all of them have 2 shims under the planetary gears. One shim on each satellite gear. And 1 shim as a bearing retainer on the outdrives. 10 total shims for me and I have no issues with any of them.

The instructions https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA220050 say to use two shims. I had no issues using two shims. The vid linked earlier is for building the composite diffs. Not trying to brag but I have built 12 of these diffs with the 220050 cups and all of them have 2 shims under the planetary gears. One shim on each satellite gear. And 1 shim as a bearing retainer on the outdrives. 10 total shims for me and I have no issues with any of them.
Sorry buddy didn't mean to doubt ya I just got confused when you said you built yours like the video and the video only showed 1 shim guess I'm tearing mine down ?and try to get that pin in ? also the diagram didn't seem to show the O ring but I'm guessing it's still used or just can't see it in the exploded view thanks for your expertise appreciated it i just want to do it right and bullet proof this thing. I do see the O ring now in the photo had to zoom in a bit man my eyes are getting old too lol

Last edited:
Someone else built theirs like the vid. I built mine based off my racing experience. The o-ring is necessary to keep the fluid from leaking.

The best thing when assembling a new diff and shimming is to start with dry parts, assemble dry and check for slop.

The reason I used the two shims (like the instructions) and one shim on each satellite was when assembled dry it would start to bind with more shims on the satellites and was loose with one shim under the planetary.

Also, my outdrives do not shift in or out.

Thanks for the info glad you helped clear things up for me and great advice about assembling dry to test could of saved me this sticky mess I'm about to get into. 500k is super thick any advice? Hate to waste all that new fluid I just stuck in

Thanks for the info glad you helped clear things up for me and great advice about assembling dry to test could of saved me this sticky mess I'm about to get into. 500k is super thick any advice? Hate to waste all that new fluid I just stuck in

I personally treat diff fluid as disposable because it's easier to clean it up by breaking it down with whatever cleaning product you are comfortable with. I use acetone and wooden skewers to clean it out.

I'm glad you guys got these Arrma diff cups to work but I've failed and I can't buy another. lol. I swear I did everything by the book. I fitted it all just like instructed and took it apart so many times and the holes will not line up. I know I got a bad one (on sale) but man...I wasted some time on this female dog.

My bad, ??‍♂️ Sometimes I hate trying to get across in text what I mean in thought. I meant the satalite portion I followed the video instruction. And the planetary portion I went with the alum case provided instruction. Also, as mentioned in another post here I also have the shims on the outdrives so in my application I ended up with 12 total shims.
I tried this first with a dry diff and mine still had some slop, and when I added the one to each side 2-1 2-1 it didn’t bind and took up the slop ??‍♂️Maybe the different shims we were using made a difference. I used the 4 arrma shims and 2 Mugen shims.
Someone else built theirs like the vid. I built mine based off my racing experience. The o-ring is necessary to keep the fluid from leaking.

The best thing when assembling a new diff and shimming is to start with dry parts, assemble dry and check for slop.

The reason I used the two shims (like the instructions) and one shim on each satellite was when assembled dry it would start to bind with more shims on the satellites and was loose with one shim under the planetary.

Also, my outdrives do not shift in or out.
I learned the hard way, I’m on like diff 5-6 and I’ve learned to dry assemble. Makes so much less mess when needing to adjust. :)
I'm glad you guys got these Arrma diff cups to work but I've failed and I can't buy another. lol. I swear I did everything by the book. I fitted it all just like instructed and took it apart so many times and the holes will not line up. I know I got a bad one (on sale) but man...I wasted some time on this female dog.
Did it fit together when it was dry and empty? All holes lined up? Did you assemble without the tombstones (needed for holding the posts in the composite diff cups) ? That’s a bummer :(

My bad, ??‍♂️ Sometimes I hate trying to get across in text what I mean in thought. I meant the satalite portion I followed the video instruction. And the planetary portion I went with the alum case provided instruction. Also, as mentioned in another post here I also have the shims on the outdrives so in my application I ended up with 12 total shims.

I tried this first with a dry diff and mine still had some slop, and when I added the one to each side 2-1 2-1 it didn’t bind and took up the slop ??‍♂️Maybe the different shims we were using made a difference. I used the 4 arrma shims and 2 Mugen shims.

I learned the hard way, I’m on like diff 5-6 and I’ve learned to dry assemble. Makes so much less mess when needing to adjust. :)

Did it fit together when it was dry and empty? All holes lined up? Did you assemble without the tombstones (needed for holding the posts in the composite diff cups) ? That’s a bummer :(
Yes I tried everything. I couldn't fit with tombstones even in a dream. I promise it's a bad part.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back