MIP For The Win!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottster

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
I went to remove the FHCS holding the factory motor mount on my Kraton EXB 6s roller and damn, someone was pissed at the factory. This sucker was in so tight... So I hit it with heat from my micro torch and still wouldn't budge with my MIP driver. I figured "No way was this going to beat my 2.5mm craftsman T handle" and it twisted the hex right out of both the driver and the screw. Crap, now I'm going to have drill, right? Not in the mood, so I hit it again with more heat, the MIP grabbed the remaining internal hex and I was able to coax it out... I could swear the shaft was twisting 15 degrees and was just waiting for it to pop. The key is to never apply torque to a MIP driver at an angle, always at a direct line to the fastener or it'll crack from the side load as they are heat treated super hard to just under brittle. Nice tools!
IMG_6261.JPG

MIP is worth every penny. Glad it worked out for you, time for some button heads.

These are the 4mm FHCS that run from the chassis into the motor mount from the bottom and are countersunk into the chassis to prevent any movement. BHCS or SHCS screws won't work in this specific application and these were installed by the factory. Probably the only tight screws out of the box, lol. I have extras in my "kit" so no worries now that it is out. Better know now than when I have to upgrade to a better motor mount.

And yes sir, MIP tools are worth every penny, no doubt. There is always a compromise in regards to flex or hardness, brittleness or toughness. For example, I have a knife that I use at work every day made of D2 tool steel. Holds an edge for months and hard to sharpen, but micro chips if I hit one of those giant staples. On the other hand I have a sword made of 5160 spring steel that holds an edge ok but always springs back and won't chip or crack.

Last edited:
Wiha>Wera…

Eight are about as good as you’ll find as well.

I’ve used Wiha for years in industrial maintenance setting, and they’re hard to beat. For my RC’s, I am actually quite partial to the Protek ultra lite, and MIP. Hudy, and Arrowmax RC makes some very nice stuff too imo.

Back