Mojave Mojave EXB suspension tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast EXB
I have a Mojave EXB with a hobbywing max6/1650 combo running on 6s. Today was my first chance to run it, and it was pretty impressive. Its hard to keep the front wheels on the ground (ran it mainly on gravel and wet grass). I am not too experienced with suspension setups. It handled well, but I feel like the stock setup could be stiffer, like it may be a little soft for how much the truck weighs. It is currently stock with threaded adjuster on yhe springs anout a quarter inch from the top. I know that adjusting them down will increase ride height, but that is as much as I know. Any suggestions from those of you who own mojaves and have adjusted the shocks?

Be careful when adding ride height because you still need to make sure droop screws are adjusted (and evenly bilaterally) so as to maintain the suspension under slight load at full extension ideally. I don't know if adding stiffness via preload is the best solution but worth trying if you can keep it from getting "bouncy". You don't want your shocks hyper-extending and you don't want your outdrives/hubs binding-up under no-load situations.

Haven't gotten around to it but have some heavier-than-stock springs to try, especially on the rear. The Mojave is basically setup to offer the best suspension and handling for the platform out of the box but stiffer springs and maybe playing with shock valves and oil weights a bit wil give you what you want?

I have a Mojave EXB with a hobbywing max6/1650 combo running on 6s. Today was my first chance to run it, and it was pretty impressive. Its hard to keep the front wheels on the ground (ran it mainly on gravel and wet grass). I am not too experienced with suspension setups. It handled well, but I feel like the stock setup could be stiffer, like it may be a little soft for how much the truck weighs. It is currently stock with threaded adjuster on yhe springs anout a quarter inch from the top. I know that adjusting them down will increase ride height, but that is as much as I know. Any suggestions from those of you who own mojaves and have adjusted the shocks?
I swapped out the shock oil to 80wt.. 👌🏻

Last edited:
I've gone with 1k cSt (80w) front and 800 cSt (60w) rear. However I swapped the rear springs for Kraton springs. I think on a dirt track it would be okay stock albeit still very soft, but it's usually short grass that I run on with some jumps

this is crazy/awesome/wild!

I literally came on to ask the same question.

I ran my v4 kraton and my MEXB. the kraton was like a porsche 911 hugging the terrain. The MEXB was soooo annoying to drive. It bounced around like one of those low riders in cali. To much float, not enough bite.

The max6/1650 is amazing! so fast, etc... but without a windshield that opening catches wind and literally flips over.

Let us know if you get around to changing the oil weight.

this is crazy/awesome/wild!

I literally came on to ask the same question.

I ran my v4 kraton and my MEXB. the kraton was like a porsche 911 hugging the terrain. The MEXB was soooo annoying to drive. It bounced around like one of those low riders in cali. To much float, not enough bite.

The max6/1650 is amazing! so fast, etc... but without a windshield that opening catches wind and literally flips over.

Let us know if you get around to changing the oil weight.
I’ve changed mine to 80... it took a lot of that floaty feeling away. I would for sure recommend it!

I decided to keep the shock oil the same for now and get some more drive time. I want to see how it feels once I break it in some more. Just want to make sure it isn't lack of skill on my part.

I don't see how thicker fluid can compensate for soft springs. Adding preload is just going to jack the car up and ruin the suspension. Stiffer springs are your best bet. Arrma sells two rates stiffer and two rates softer.
If you want plush suspension, set the ride height halfway the travel. That's more or less with the A arms straight
Don't drop the car to test. Just push the chassis down and see how far the car rebounds.
I settled for the second stiffest springs.

I don't see how thicker fluid can compensate for soft springs. Adding preload is just going to jack the car up and ruin the suspension. Stiffer springs are your best bet. Arrma sells two rates stiffer and two rates softer.
If you want plush suspension, set the ride height halfway the travel. That's more or less with the A arms straight
Don't drop the car to test. Just push the chassis down and see how far the car rebounds.
I settled for the second stiffest springs.
You are a bit late to this thread...

Be careful when adding ride height because you still need to make sure droop screws are adjusted (and evenly bilaterally) so as to maintain the suspension under slight load at full extension ideally. I don't know if adding stiffness via preload is the best solution but worth trying if you can keep it from getting "bouncy". You don't want your shocks hyper-extending and you don't want your outdrives/hubs binding-up under no-load situations.

Haven't gotten around to it but have some heavier-than-stock springs to try, especially on the rear. The Mojave is basically setup to offer the best suspension and handling for the platform out of the box but stiffer springs and maybe playing with shock valves and oil weights a bit wil give you what you want?
+1
I would drive as is . The Mojo is well dialed in the suspension department. Learn to drive it that way. What you are experiencing is more probably the diff oils needing to be changed to better thicker weights oil. I run 60K front/ 500k Center/ 30k Rear. It is aSCT, and designed to drive that way. It is not a Big Air "Send It" type of rig. The rapid compression and rebound of the shocks actually keeps the Mojo planted well. Learn its driving characteristics first.. Adapt to the rig and get used to it. It is not meant for very rough terrain. It's not a big wheeled MT.
I recommend getting ScorchedRC Inner mud guards to keep most of the debris out of the chassis. Food for thought. Mojave is among my favorite Arrma RC's. I upgrade mine, chassi and all. BuT I never changed the shock oil or springs at all, I wouldn't want to. Adjust the shock preload and the Droop settings. Like state dabove. All you need for now. You can always alter the Shocks angles. Lay them down more if you want. There are tuning guides in regards to this.
In the end it is your rig, Trial and error gets it the way you want it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back