Vorteks Motor issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
I recently switched to metal gears and added 4x4 upgrade to my Vorteks, and since then I've smoked two motors. The first motor after upgraded to the 57t .8 mod spur gear, I was using the 15t .8 mod pinion and I assumed the gear ratio was too high. Got the motor replaced and switched to an 11t .8 mod pinion and smoked the motor again. I've made sure to have a proper gear mesh, and I'm not sure what could be my problem. Is the motor just not capable of pushing the 4x4 and the metal gears?

I recently switched to metal gears and added 4x4 upgrade to my Vorteks, and since then I've smoked two motors. The first motor after upgraded to the 57t .8 mod spur gear, I was using the 15t .8 mod pinion and I assumed the gear ratio was too high. Got the motor replaced and switched to an 11t .8 mod pinion and smoked the motor again. I've made sure to have a proper gear mesh, and I'm not sure what could be my problem. Is the motor just not capable of pushing the 4x4 and the metal gears?
Hello and welcome!

I am no expert on gears...question did you monitor temps? How hot did the motor get during the run if periodically checking?

Hello and welcome!

I am no expert on gears...question did you monitor temps? How hot did the motor get during the run if periodically checking?
I checked the temp after about a 15 minute run and it was around 150 which I thought was ok, next day I ran it 15 or so minutes and it smoked.

I checked the temp after about a 15 minute run and it was around 150 which I thought was ok, next day I ran it 15 or so minutes and it smoked.
Does not take long for temps to escalate when trying new gearing, pinions, etc until you get a baseline. Not saying this was the issue but something you'd want to bring her in more often to check during the run to see how temps are while in the bash.

Yes, 150F is not bad want to say below 170F with motors but certainly going over that for a long period of time and upwards towards 200F can cook the internals of a motor.

The right gearing is the question and waiting for an answer on that one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back