Motor spinning without torque! Please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkhlouf

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Talion
I am almost done with my limitless build. Today I started the esc (xlx) programming and Calibration with a very disappointing issue. When I hit the throttle my TP power motor spin but not power/torqueI can even hold the wheel with my hand. The motor and esc temperature started to increase even without running the rig. The rig was standing during the subject testing

My setup
Esc: xlx
Motor: tp power 4050 cm 2300kv (8s)
Cappack EMPERFORMANCE

Please help!

Is the pinion tight? I know it seems simple but if the motor spins and you can hold the car power isn't getting where it needs to .

Everything checked and found properly tighten. In fat, I can hold the wheel while the car is on the stand. The motor seems to be dead! I hope NO?

I don’t know how to trouble shoot this issue!

thank you so much for the reply

Everything checked and found properly tighten. In fat, I can hold the wheel while the car is on the stand. The motor seems to be dead! I hope NO?

I don’t know how to trouble shoot this issue!

thank you so much for the reply
You indicated the motor was spinning, is it spinning or just humming?
As previously mentioned please post up a video.

Easiest is probably Youtube if you have a Google account.

Here we go. I learned something new by the way ?? how to upload a video into YouTube

Maybe I'm missing something, holding one wheel just transfers power to the other wheel i.e. that should spin.
Is it actually driving?

Sounds all ok and when you hold the wheel I see the power shifting somewhere else, as it should.

That sounds like a bad diff gear if I had to guess.
Maybe @jondilly1974 can chime in.
He is the resident speed freak.
Also way smarter than me. ?

I am done for today. I will throw it outside tomorrow morning and check how it goes on the road. Is it normal to get the motor/esc temperature ? increasing while the rig is on the stand without any load I mean? I stopped the testing as the motor was getting hot ? around 140 with no load!

gearing 28P/34S

I am done for today. I will throw it outside tomorrow morning and check how it goes on the road. Is it normal to get the motor/esc temperature ? increasing while the rig is on the stand without any load I mean? I stopped the testing as the motor was getting hot ? around 140 with no load!

gearing 28P/34S
Something is spinning and eating up power whatever it may be so yes heat will build.
The motor is doing something we just need to figure out what.

Can you take a video of all 4 tires while you do that? Sounds like bad diff. Motor sounds fine.
Motor sounds ok, but check diffs, all of them, it is easy to miss align the sun gear pin and have it spin under the gear. But also when i first got my Max6 esc it came off as underwhelming. Everything calibrated fine, however I had calibrated it backwards. I know doesn't sound like a big deal, switch two wires right? Wrong! A lot of ESCs are designed to run in a certain direction, and simply reversing your tx channel, or swapping motor leads will make the esc run a lower powered reverse speed. So if you found you had to reverse your throttle channel when you hooked up your XLX, you probably need to go back to where you had her to begin with, recalibrate, reverse motor leads if necessary. ??

Waaaa ?. I was struggling with the direction. So I reversed the throttle channel in the tx as the motor wires swapping was not giving the desired direction ?. Please can you explain again the steps to fix this issue. In addition, I will check all the diff as well

Waaaa ?. I was struggling with the direction. So I reversed the throttle channel in the tx as the motor wires swapping was not giving the desired direction ?. Please can you explain again the steps to fix this issue. In addition, I will check all the diff as well
Which tx are you using? For instance futaba, and some generics of futaba radios you have to have the throttle set to reverse. But for Spectrum radios the throttle channel stays in "N" or normal. If you calibrated and then saw you were running in reverse then simply clicked the reverse channel switch your motor is running foreward in observation, reverse in reality. If the motor is on the right (passenger side) with the pinion facing forward then the motor direction in the esc settings should be set to CCW. 90% of 1/8th scale vehicles use this motor direction. If your settings do say CCW, then swap two motor wires, flip your tx back to where it was and recalibrate.

I am using the radiolink 6 channels. After several attempts to fix the issue with the direction I concluded that the issue is coming from the motor. No break, no throttle even after several calibrations. I finally dropped another motor and it seems to be ?. In fact, I dropped a complete new esc/motor set from my Kraton and it seems working. I didn’t tested yet on the road as I spent huge time to troubleshoot this issue.
I keep you updated.

I take this opportunity to thank all the community to the engagement and support! ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back