MXL-6S / MM2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to pick up a Traxxas MXL-6S for about $40 bucks. As most of you know, it's a rebranded Castle Mamba Monster 2. I don't have a specific project that I could throw it in, but I figured it's a great price to snag a Castle ESC for either way. I've read pretty good things about the MM2 as well. Should I pull the trigger, or pass on this? Thanks.

For $40 I would.
Thanks Slick. Anything I should be careful about regarding this ESC? I'm not an ESC guru by any means, but I know some models (like the red BLX esc) are known for catching fire. I think you're somewhat familiar with my builds, as you've given me plenty advice along the way. I have the AE-4 (Sidewinder 8th) powering my K6 and it's performed beautifully since day one, no thermal issues or anything. I'm thinking of possibly dropping this MXL-6S into an Infraction 6S roller. I just want to drift around and burn up tires with it, not looking to do speed runs or anything extreme.

It is a good ESC overall. For the price that is hard to pass up.
Thanks man, I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. Just wish I could find another one for parts so that I can get rid of that blue Traxxas housing lol.

Thanks Slick. Anything I should be careful about regarding this ESC? I'm not an ESC guru by any means, but I know some models (like the red BLX esc) are known for catching fire. I think you're somewhat familiar with my builds, as you've given me plenty advice along the way. I have the AE-4 (Sidewinder 8th) powering my K6 and it's performed beautifully since day one, no thermal issues or anything. I'm thinking of possibly dropping this MXL-6S into an Infraction 6S roller. I just want to drift around and burn up tires with it, not looking to do speed runs or anything extreme.
Not sure about the Traxxas MXL6S but the MM2 the switch is just straight garbage as is the fan shroud. Both of the MM2 escs I have had the switch scrapped out in the first week and the fan cages broke. You can buy replacement fan shrouds but they just break again. The crappy thing is that you can't just eliminate the fan shroud because you can't screw the fan to the esc, the shroud holds the fan on and only 1 hole lines up. You also can not replace the stock fan with a better one without finding an adapter as it's a non standard sized fan at 30x7mm.......

And FWIW Castle does not recommend using the MM2 in the Infraction, Limitless, Felony or the Traxxas Xo1 even though the XO1 comes with the MM2 stock 🤷‍♂️ .

Screenshot_20231101_115205_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about the Traxxas MXL6S but the MM2 the switch is just straight garbage as is the fan shroud. Both of the MM2 escs I have had the switch scrapped out in the first week and the fan cages broke. You can buy replacement fan shrouds but they just break again. The crappy thing is that you can't just eliminate the fan shroud because you can't screw the fan to the esc, the shroud holds the fan on and only 1 hole lines up. You also can not replace the stock fan with a better one without finding an adapter as it's a non standard sized fan at 30x7mm.......

And FWIW Castle does not recommend using the MM2 in the Infraction, Limitless, Felony or the Traxxas Xo1 even though the XO1 comes with the MM2 stock 🤷‍♂️ .

View attachment 329538
Castle definitely makes me scratch my head sometimes. I knew the XO1 comes with a MM2 from the factory, yet they advise against using it. Makes absolutely no sense. Screw it, it's only $40 bucks. I'll see how it performs, if it blows up then it just blows up. Thanks for the heads up regarding the fan and power switch.

It is a smaller ESC and its ability to handle heat is not up to par with heavier 1/8 or 1/7 scale rigs.
I think that ESC works great on 4s in those rigs though...

I have seen people run it in lighter rigs like a buggy (without heavy tires)

It is a smaller ESC and its ability to handle heat is not up to par with heavier 1/8 or 1/7 scale rigs.
I think that ESC works great on 4s in those rigs though...

I have seen people run it in lighter rigs like a buggy (without heavy tires)
It can handle more power than the BLX185 and the Firema 150a. I run one in my Outcast with the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor.

It can handle more power than the BLX185 and the Firema 150a. I run one in my Outcast with the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor.
Really?? That's quite interesting. It sounds like Castle is more conservative with their power ratings, while Spektrum tends to overrated their stuff.

I’d also look at a Hobbywing 8BL150 G2 as a best budget ESC. <$70 AliExpress

Really?? That's quite interesting. It sounds like Castle is more conservative with their power ratings, while Spektrum tends to overrated their stuff.

It is pretty under rated. Prior to the XLX the MM2 was the go too esc for speed runners.

I’d also look at a Hobbywing 8BL150 G2 as a best budget ESC. <$70 AliExpress
Thanks for the info, I'll look into those! Thee only thing I hate about AliExpress is the wait for the slow boat 😖 Their prices are unbeatable though!

I usually jump on 14 day guarantees, haven’t been let down yet!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back