Castle MM2 vs Arrma BLX185

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-Dude

Very Active Member
Reaction score
The MM2 is 112 grams rated at ? Amps
vs.
Arrma BLX185 at 196 grams rated at 150 Amps.

How do the ESCs compare using the stock Arrma 2050 motor? Just wondering if I should replace the Arrma BLX185 in a 6s Typon running mostly 4s and 6s with a 26t pinion / 39T spur with the Castle MM2. Main reason is to keep the heat down and to acutally not have a thermal shut off before the lipo is down to 30%. Some days just bashing on 4s other doing more bashing with mild speedruns to 140km/h on 6s. Just building a Typhon 6s SWB with Limitless V1 front and rear towers, diffs shocks, center spool etc.

What are your thoughts?

Anybody some input?

Last edited:
The MM2 is 112 grams rated at ? Amps
vs.
Arrma BLX185 at 196 grams rated at 150 Amps.

How do the ESCs compare using the stock Arrma 2050 motor? Just wondering if I should replace the Arrma BLX185 in a 6s Typon running mostly 4s and 6s with a 26t pinion / 39T spur with the Castle MM2. Main reason is to keep the heat down and to acutally not have a thermal shut off before the lipo is down to 30%. Some days just bashing on 4s other doing more bashing with mild speedruns to 140km/h on 6s. Just building a Typhon 6s SWB with Limitless V1 front and rear towers, diffs shocks, center spool etc.

What are your thoughts?

Anybody some input?

I don't think an ESC will help with thermal shutdown. More amps means more power and more heat. It sounds like you have a cooling problem not an ESC problem.

The castle mm2 is definitely better than the stock spektrum 150a. I have no clue how well it would work for your application, but I do know a max 8 g2 would probably handle it really well. If it was me, I'd put an mmx8s in there and never worry about anything ever again, but I bet the max 8 g2 would be good too and cheaper. Hope it helps!

I don't think an ESC will help with thermal shutdown. More amps means more power and more heat. It sounds like you have a cooling problem not an ESC problem.
The MAX6 has a function to shut down at 105 deg C. The BLX185 does not give that option. Blew one on a Talion a few months back. Kind of assumed it would shut down if too hot. :rolleyes: Pinion was too big for soft sand and I was really going at pretty much full speed all the time. At least I can use the body again after it was outside for a few months. Smelled awful.

Screenshot 2023-01-23 212243.jpg

The castle mm2 is definitely better than the stock spektrum 150a. I have no clue how well it would work for your application, but I do know a max 8 g2 would probably handle it really well. If it was me, I'd put an mmx8s in there and never worry about anything ever again, but I bet the max 8 g2 would be good too and cheaper. Hope it helps!

That's very helpful. Have a number of Max6 ESC and a Max5 ESC. They seem to be the safe ESC option for everyday use and are heat protected. But Castle has it's lure. So I am checking out ESC options.

If we crash we all want the cheapest available ESC in the car and in all other scenarios the best ESC.

It's just the difference of beeing able to bash without keeping an eye on temperatures. at max 100km/h or beeing able to do so at higher speed. Think the MMx8s is actually the good option. Just need 3 of them now as I have 3 rigs that I would like to bash at up to 150 km/h without heat problems. So I'm checking out options without spending blindly.

It's just the difference of beeing able to bash without keeping an eye on temperatures. at max 100km/h or beeing able to do so at higher speed. Think the MMx8s is actually the good option. Just need 3 of them now as I have 3 rigs that I would like to bash at up to 150 km/h without heat problems.
Well, that’s what it all comes down to. That’s why you don’t really see many basher speed vehicles because it’s a very fine line between what you can bash with and what you can do speed runs with so me personally what I did was I just went with a smaller gear set up and I went and got me some high-voltage lipos and they made a world of difference. I mean I have a 11 tooth pinion on my stock Creighton, but I run a high voltage genace advanced 6s lipo and she still does just over 50 with the 11 tooth

This Typhon (with all Limitless V1 on top) is just begging me for more than stock electronics. Doing about 105 km/h on 4s. Want to be able to use 6s also but that's not possible with that 26T gearing. Want a setup that works nice and fast on 4s and 6s without switching gears.

20230123_223512.jpg

Lim-Typh2050-4s-26p-39s.jpg

Had GP on it (95mm), now Hoons. Will try normal Buggy tires.

For reference on the original question the MM2 is said to be rated around 180 amps however, castle's amperage rating I think is real and HW/Arrma's is inflated a bit. I think the 6s arrma ESC is closer to 120a

the Arrma BLX 6s ESC will choke around 94-98 mph in a speed run high amperage application, where the MM2 will go well into the 100's or 100-teens.

Did not know that with 180 AMPs. I read 120 Amps for the MM2, could not find that again and it did not add up with what else I read. The BLX 6s choking at the speed is exactly what happened here.

That’s crazy because I did a custom build that was rwd with virtually no gears I made a custom direct drive from the blx185 motor to the rear diff via output cups and dog bone and mind you I did only do like 3-5 runs a at a time with a 6s 120c battery and I had 0 issues getting to triple digits once I added a gyro because that much power on a rwd was next to impossible to control with out one

It's just the difference of beeing able to bash without keeping an eye on temperatures. at max 100km/h or beeing able to do so at higher speed. Think the MMx8s is actually the good option. Just need 3 of them now as I have 3 rigs that I would like to bash at up to 150 km/h without heat problems. So I'm checking out options without spending blindly.
I have a stretched typhon with an mmx8s and tp 4080cm 2022 kv. It's geared 25/44 which is about 93 mph. I can bash on this setup just fine and I don't even bother to check esc temps. How I on road bash might be on the lighter side compared to others though. With that said, I also blew up an mm2 in my typhon 3s while on 4s geared for 75 mph. I was using an apparently nasty tp motor with a high kv though.

Did not know that with 180 AMPs. I read 120 Amps for the MM2, could not find that again and it did not add up with what else I read. The BLX 6s choking at the speed is exactly what happened here.
There is a hard to find MM2 Retro (all in the software/firmware) that does not have amp limiting, however it still likely won't go much beyond 250a
If size is the big concern the MMX8s is the one to use. If you can fit bigger you cannot beat the XLX2 for running temps and power both.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back