Granite My brushed motor went out. Upgrade or replace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreaknPurple

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
Ok so i'm new to the hobby i got an older Arrma granite 4x4 mega from my uncle recently and it had leaky shocks and a bad battery, i replaced the shocks and i got a 2s LiPo and put the ECS in LiPo mode. but nontheless the motor did not agree and went out, i have the gearbox out now and can confirm that its not the slipper clutch. I do want to go brushless and i want to know everyones opinions and experience. I also would like to know the process of going brushless from brushed. Go easy on me lol

I watched a few videos on the process, looks fairly easy. I don't really know how fast i want it to go, ive never driven anything faster than the stock granite mega i have now. I also don't really mind replacing drivetrain parts as they break if i go with motor thats a little more powerful. And i believe that i can solder a new dean plug onto the ECS. As of now i don't plan on going any bigger than 2s.

Last edited:
I started with a granite mega 4x4, and when my motor went out I upgraded to 120a Spektrum esc and 3660 3200kv Spektrum motor. Had to change slipper to 57T 0.8 mod, and pinion I have 17T 0.8mod. it's more than fast enough for me on 3S and so far (10 months) only stripped one spur and one rear diff/input gear. Driveshafts I have replaced with new stock ones, just because old ones was really sloppy after a while. Didn't break tho.👍 I think with upgrading to brushless and run it on 2S would still be faster than stock brushed setup, and would last you longer. I'd recommend if you have the money. Sure is expensive to start with brushed and upgrade to brushless, instead of just buy the 3s version.

Just replace the motor with another brushed . If you Never clean them out and lube the Bushings, they will always fail much sooner than later. Motor cleaning, and lubing should be done often, like every 5 runs or so. As the brushes wear, the dust from the brushes fouls out the whole motor, and causes it to get much hotter. Shorter run times results as well. Need to clean out the dust and dirt often and lube the Bushing at both ends.
Buy yourself some Automotive Electrical Contact spray ( safe for motors and evaporates fast) and some Synthetic Oil. Spray out the motor once removed, Flush it out until no dirt comes out anymore. Brushed motors need regular maintenance. Also, the brushes just normally wear out. But the stocker motors are cheap to replace when they do. So its best to maintain them more, or just expect replacing them frequently . Brushed RC motors are this way. Nothing new. Get used to this. You can also buy A Rebuildable brushed motor and replace the Brushes as well. They have more performance to them as well as Ball Bearings instead of the Cheap Bushings. Still clean them out etc. But the brushes are replaceable. How I fly with all of my Brushed Crawler Rebuildable motors.
I wouldn't bother to upgrade any Mega platform to BLX.
Better to just buy a new 3s BLX 4x4. Cheaper this way.

The only Upgrade I would advise is a Brushed Rebuildable motor, and Not go with a BLX (Brushless setup). Get a 10T or 12T Brushed rebuildable motor. Have some new spare brush pairs on hand also. There are videos in regards to servicing rebuildabale motors. And Rebuildables aren't that much more expensive over a sealed stocker motor.
Look to Holmes Hobbies Brushed motors if you want the $best$.
Otherwise, AMZ has Apex and other less expensive Rebuildable brushed motors.
>>>It is always advisabe to Break-In any new Motor or when you change out to new brushes.
The brushes will last longer and have better performance. Because the Brushes will seat better to the Commutator,
Search for videos on Brushed motor Break-in procedures and maintenance. The Arrma manual will never show this.

Last edited:
If a solder a new Dean's plug onto the ESC will I be bogging anything down?
I do still plan on going brushless. But I understand where you are coming from. But for the most part this is something that I'm not rushing. I just drive it around lol I'm not doing anything crazy for now.
I respect you for putting time into an answer and I'll take all advice to heart, but I definitely want to go brushless

Last edited:
I started with a granite mega 4x4, and when my motor went out I upgraded to 120a Spektrum esc and 3660 3200kv Spektrum motor. Had to change slipper to 57T 0.8 mod, and pinion I have 17T 0.8mod. it's more than fast enough for me on 3S and so far (10 months) only stripped one spur and one rear diff/input gear. Driveshafts I have replaced with new stock ones, just because old ones was really sloppy after a while. Didn't break tho.👍 I think with upgrading to brushless and run it on 2S would still be faster than stock brushed setup, and would last you longer. I'd recommend if you have the money. Sure is expensive to start with brushed and upgrade to brushless, instead of just buy the 3s version.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/hd-57t-slipper-set-0.8mod/ARA310949.html
Would this be the right Slipper mod?
https://www.hobbytown.com/arrma-pinion-gear-0.8-mod-17t-ara310420/p661191
And this the pinion you used?

Yes. You could go 15T pinion as well, it ran cooler on 15T on my truck, on 3S. I have fan and heatsink on motor, and also upgraded stock fan on the 120A esc. I don't have heat issues on 17T, it just gets a little hotter. I take break between packs, and run my other truck for 20-30 mins, then back at it on the granite 😁

I wont be changing from 2s for awhile so I think I wont be needing a fan on the motor yet.

Yes. You could go 15T pinion as well, it ran cooler on 15T on my truck, on 3S. I have fan and heatsink on motor, and also upgraded stock fan on the 120A esc. I don't have heat issues on 17T, it just gets a little hotter. I take break between packs, and run my other truck for 20-30 mins, then back at it on the granite 😁
What connector did you use?

Ok so i'm new to the hobby i got an older Arrma granite 4x4 mega from my uncle recently and it had leaky shocks and a bad battery, i replaced the shocks and i got a 2s LiPo and put the ECS in LiPo mode. but nontheless the motor did not agree and went out, i have the gearbox out now and can confirm that its not the slipper clutch. I do want to go brushless and i want to know everyones opinions and experience. I also would like to know the process of going brushless from brushed. Go easy on me lol
Thats how I got back in the hobby this year..mega granite ...motor went on 2s lipo...said they hell with it and went brushless...then I bought a kraton 4s and sold the granite cause needed more speed and 4s is fast as hell...cant imagine 6s which I didn't want to go for...happy with the kraton but granite was fun while I had it.

Many will go to BLX.
Just understand you will need to upgrade $much more$ than just the ESC and motor. BLX power may be too much for many of the Mega drivetrain components. My main point here.
With connectors, toss that Deans/T-Plug. It is horrible, they fail, come loose/apart when bashing and they wear out all too fast. It is a very cheap old school connector found in the cheaper models. (n) This is common RC knowledge. Even the smaller XT60 is equivalent in Amp capacity and a way better connector over any T-Plug.
Just go with XT90 or EC5 connectors. Way more durable, and this will future proof your setup for BLX power down the road.

Last edited:
Just replace the motor with another brushed . If you Never clean them out and lube the Bushings, they will always fail much sooner than later. Motor cleaning, and lubing should be done often, like every 5 runs or so. As the brushes wear, the dust from the brushes fouls out the whole motor, and causes it to get much hotter. Shorter run times results as well. Need to clean out the dust and dirt often and lube the Bushing at both ends.
Buy yourself some Automotive Electrical Contact spray ( safe for motors and evaporates fast) and some Synthetic Oil. Spray out the motor once removed, Flush it out until no dirt comes out anymore. Brushed motors need regular maintenance. Also, the brushes just normally wear out. But the stocker motors are cheap to replace when they do. So its best to maintain them more, or just expect replacing them frequently . Brushed RC motors are this way. Nothing new. Get used to this. You can also buy A Rebuildable brushed motor and replace the Brushes as well. They have more performance to them as well as Ball Bearings instead of the Cheap Bushings. Still clean them out etc. But the brushes are replaceable. How I fly with all of my Brushed Crawler Rebuildable motors.
I wouldn't bother to upgrade any Mega platform to BLX.
Better to just buy a new 3s BLX 4x4. Cheaper this way.

The only Upgrade I would advise is a Brushed Rebuildable motor, and Not go with a BLX (Brushless setup). Get a 10T or 12T Brushed rebuildable motor. Have some new spare brush pairs on hand also. There are videos in regards to servicing rebuildabale motors. And Rebuildables aren't that much more expensive over a sealed stocker motor.
Look to Holmes Hobbies Brushed motors if you want the $best$.
Otherwise, AMZ has Apex and other less expensive Rebuildable brushed motors.
>>>It is always advisabe to Break-In any new Motor or when you change out to new brushes.
The brushes will last longer and have better performance. Because the Brushes will seat better to the Commutator,
Search for videos on Brushed motor Break-in procedures and maintenance. The Arrma manual will never show this.

It’s fairly easy to upgrade a brushed mega model to blx spec, only need the 3s slipper and motor plate/plastics, new pinion, and a brushless system. Everything else is the same. Would it have been cheaper to get the 3s model in the beginning, sure would. But if they have the cash it’s not so bad to upgrade to the 3s specs.

Motor mount, fan- $17
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...ink-fan-ara4408v2?_pos=3&_sid=f872b9b3c&_ss=r

3660 3200kv motor- $39
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-granite-ar102668?_pos=8&_sid=f872b9b3c&_ss=r

Blx100 esc $47
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-typhon-ara4303v3?_pos=1&_sid=24a2ca597&_ss=r

That is what I'd do..... if/when something gives, upgrade. Prob won't be having any issues running 2s though. Then your setup for 3s when you want. $110ish is way cheaper then buying a new 3s rig.

It’s fairly easy to upgrade a brushed mega model to blx spec, only need the 3s slipper and motor plate/plastics, new pinion, and a brushless system. Everything else is the same. Would it have been cheaper to get the 3s model in the beginning, sure would. But if they have the cash it’s not so bad to upgrade to the 3s specs.
If you have the cash, then even a 6s model would be the ticket.......
Its not about being fairly easier. And easy can be very subjective for many of us.
It's just being $Smart$ about this hobby.
Just with newbs and Arrma and other brands, being stubborn can get in the way.

Edited.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back