Granite My brushed motor went out. Upgrade or replace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you wanted to save yourself some aggravation Horizon hobby has 50 off of the blx Granite. You can just buy the better model.
+1
X-Mas in July Sale. Code "Jolly". 50% discount thru 7/31. The Red body is left. Going fast.
At only $290. for a 3s V3 Granite, I think it make so much better sense.
It's just simple math, and some common RC sense.

The Granite Mega is also on sale for $230 with the 40% discount. ( code jolly) thru 7/31,FWIW.

>>> The difference of $60 between the Mega and 3s models has to make you wonder and think!
Spending $110., and in reality actually more than this to upgrade any Mega platform to 3s BLX specs makes no sense at all.(n)
The V3 BLX 4x4 will even come with the Better connectors, there already.

>>>Buying the Mega from the start to save just 3 nickels never makes sense.
Mega is a child level model and Because the Mega can be dog slow for so many after a few runs. Boring. Then the immediate response is to upgrade to BLX. When it is Not really practical, and the Mega was never really worth the 3 nickels saved at all.
Usually just a quick impulsive uninformed Mega purchase.

Makes more sense to just buy another 3s model now. Getting The 2 year warranty along with it. Saving the Mega for most of the spare parts that you will need anyway , or just sell the Mega, if you really need to save 3 more Nickels. Spending for ALL the BLX upgrade parts with JennysRC comes with No warranty for these BLX Electric parts. The main advantage of the Arrma NIB 2 year warranty. It's the BLX electrics that usually Fails anyway.
No fiddling with Upgrading your Mega is needed, while actually costing more $coin$, when you do this. Then your total Mega 4x4 investment becomes 30-40% more $$ than a NIB V3 3s BLX 4x4.
Most newbs end up finding this out much Later than sooner. :rolleyes:
At least you heard it here from me.

Govern yourself accordingly, with info in hand and what works for you.
This has been discussed a million times here on AF over the years.
Why make this hobby any more of a money pit than it already is.

:cool:

Last edited:
How does it make more sense from a financial standpoint to buy a new truck at almost $300 vs upgrading his current for 110 plus shipping?
Its a mega, not like his current has had a rough life.
It may be better to start with a blx, but he isn't. He started with the mega for whatever the reason. Be it money or thats what he wanted..... so this is where he is at...

Warranty is great on the higher end more expensive items but we are talking 35 and 45$ items individually. If something craps out big woop buy another.

You try to make a good point but it comes across wrong. Telling folks they have a child level rc.... Even if you believe that people are proud of what they spend money on and putting it down is down right crappy.
+1
X-Mas in July Sale. Code "Jolly". 50% discount thru 7/31. The Red body is left. Going fast.
At only $290. for a 3s V3 Granite, I think it make so much better sense.
It's just simple math, and some common RC sense.

The Granite Mega is also on sale for $230 with the 40% discount. ( code jolly) thru 7/31,FWIW.

>>> The difference of $60 between the Mega and 3s models has to make you wonder and think!
Spending $110., and in reality actually more than this to upgrade any Mega platform to 3s BLX specs makes no sense at all.(n)
The V3 BLX 4x4 will even come with the Better connectors, there already.

>>>Buying the Mega from the start to save just 3 nickels never makes sense.
Mega is a child level model and Because the Mega can be dog slow for so many after a few runs. Boring. Then the immediate response is to upgrade to BLX. When it is Not really practical, and the Mega was never really worth the 3 nickels saved at all.
Usually just a quick impulsive uninformed Mega purchase.

Makes more sense to just buy another 3s model now. Getting The 2 year warranty along with it. Saving the Mega for most of the spare parts that you will need anyway , or just sell the Mega, if you really need to save 3 more Nickels. Spending for ALL the BLX upgrade parts with JennysRC comes with No warranty for these BLX Electric parts. The main advantage of the Arrma NIB 2 year warranty. It's the BLX electrics that usually Fails anyway.
No fiddling with Upgrading your Mega is needed, while actually costing more $coin$, when you do this. Then your total Mega 4x4 investment becomes 30-40% more $$ than a NIB V3 3s BLX 4x4.
Most newbs end up finding this out much Later than sooner. :rolleyes:
At least you heard it here from me.

Govern yourself accordingly, with info in hand and what works for you.
This has been discussed a million times here on AF over the years.
Why make this hobby any more of a money pit than it already is.

:cool:

This

Have your say.
I am not alone with my opinion.
It is simple math and being practical. An approach that many newbs overlook.

Buyers Remorse sets in and many feel upgrading will $Fix$ that remorse. Sure will.

>They struggle to fight the reality of buying cheap buys twice with an uninformed purchase.

Unfortunately, sometimes it is just smarter to cut your losses. How life is. Sorry if I appear to rain on peoples parades here.
In the end we all do what we want. Coming here for RC advice gets many differing views.
I've been there. And I wont hold anyones hand. We are all grown men here talking about $Toys$.
Now if the OP came here for recommending a Mega versus a 3s Blx 4x4, BEFORE even buying one, I am sure you would have a different opinion in regards. :cool:
I am not Poo Pooing Brushed platforms at all. But the Mega line is for Children. Pretty much most will agree. Quickly outgrown for an adult.
For some of us they are "Good enough" and fast enough. And still fun. Yet For real hard fast bashing, Not so much.

I partly blame Arrma and HH marketting for this. The newcomer to the hobby sees 2 Granites on the shelf, Nice body , same size , yet one is so much cheaper and for a reason. Not being informed as to the differences, the buyer will take the Mega in most cases. Not even knowing what a BLX versus Brushed motor is. Until they drive it. Then see in videos how BLX are so much faster.
I prefer Brushed setups in all 3 of my Crawlers. FWIW. They serve a purpose.

Last edited:
Have your say.
I am not alone with my opinion.
It is simple math and being practical. An approach that many newbs overlook.

Buyers Remorse sets in and many feel upgrading will $Fix$ that remorse. Sure will.

>They struggle to fight the reality of buying cheap buys twice with an uninformed purchase.

Unfortunately, sometimes it is just smarter to cut your losses. How life is. Sorry if I appear to rain on peoples parades here.
In the end we all do what we want. Coming here for RC advice gets many differing views.
I've been there. And I wont hold anyones hand. We are all grown men here talking about $Toys$.
Now if the OP came here for recommending a Mega versus a 3s Blx 4x4, BEFORE even buying one, I am sure you would have a different opinion in regards. :cool:

Your absolutely correct and I made that point clear i thought.
He already owns the mega. That money is spent and gone. He is now in the position of spending big on a new blx or spending significantly less to upgrade his to blx....

Your saying cut your loss and purchase a new rig.
I'm saying upgrade what he's got because its cheaper..

Either route he winds up with the same truck in the end....... one cost more, one doesn't..

I respect your knowledge.... I don't understand how you think purchasing another truck is better money spent though.

It is NOT cheaper. Never is. Not with a BLX upgrade. Of Course the RC industry would have you think otherwise. Its good for business. You are also overlooking the 2 Year warranty aspect of a NIB 3s model alone. The smarter move hands down. Its about future proofing the invesment down the road. Not the immediate gratification/Solution of upgrading. Instead of "Buying Twice". Maybe to some $50. give or take either way is splitting hairs. I just don't share the OP's wallet. Neither do you.
Read what I stated above in my posts.
Would you $swap out$ your 4 cylinder engine in your new Ford Mustang car with a V8, because you realized that the 4cyl is too slow? Sure it can be done. just not practical. Voiding the warranty etc.
You are entitled to your opinion.
All good here.:)

Last edited:
Try a 3s brushed and 10t brushed motor. 37 dollars. Don't need to change anything else. But you can

No one mentioned needing a new remote on top of motor and so on for any of this

Works for me. And keeps going.

Course I haven't tried 4x4 with it. But I wouldn't with the brushed stock one anyways.

Yes. Cheaper to buy a new blx and save the boost for parts.

20230706_144856.jpg

I like the differing opinions. I got the mega for free so it thought I might aswell upgrade it but I know whatever I do isnt gonna be the end of it. Frankly this hobby is pretty easy to get into compared to my other hobby, which would be expensive car parts so I'm not to scared of spending a bit of money on the current RC that I have l. Either way it's about what people enjoy.

So I got the ESC wired up to the motor and the battery soldered with a new plug. But the esc doesn't turn on. Any reason why?

Went to a hobby town in my area and turns out the battery was kaput

So genius me got 2 2S LiPos and now I'm running that. Wayyyyyyy faster than it was before 🤣 it's amazing

Last edited:
So whats the difference between running two 2s batteries vs one 4s battery

Sweet
Had to ask hobby town to tuen down the ESC cause if you touched the throttle at all it flipped

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back