My Kraton EXB.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hello guys, I believe this is my first post on the forum, despite being a member for years...... (maybe not, looks like I have posted!)

Ive always wanted to get an Arrma, but for whatever reason its never happened.

I recently got back in to the hobby after a few years out, and got a Traxxas Rustler 4x4. The bug was back and I decided I needed something else. I wanted an Xmaxx, cause theyre awesome. I don't care what any of you say, I don't care if you hate Traxxas. Its the best RC there is. It just is. End of argument. That said, I've had 3, and I sunk a fortune into my last one, so anything I brought would either cost a fortune (which I cant afford), or not be as good. Plus, Ive had 3.

So it came down to theTekno MT410 and the Kraton EXB. They both work out the same sort of money (epecially as the combo/servo in my EXB are £350). Id have loved to have built a kit, but I've owned two Tekno's and never an Arrma.

So, the pipe dream was the EXB. I had no intention of getting one for a few months. I couldnt really afford one for a few months but hey. I spent most of the days over Xmas watching videos, and building up an EXB on online baskets.

I didnt intend on buying it yet, but Im in the UK, Horizon and Brexit scare me so Im anticiapating the price going up. So on New Years Eve, by hook or by crook, I ordered my new dream R/C.

Kraton EXB
Hobbywing Max 6/1650kv Combo
Savox SB2292SG Servo
Noble GT4 Computer Radio
gensacearespammers Lipos

I also ordered diff oils, pinion etc

And big props to Wheelspin and DPD, it came today

As you can see, a minor issue...... No Motor and ESC.......

The Max 6/ 1650kv combo was out of stock
:(
So will have to wait for that.

I ordered an array of diff oild because no one could seem to agree on a set up that worked. Also got some new Lipo's (cause you lot told me too) and went mental on servo, it was silly money but hey.

No idea when Ill get it up and running, as waiting on the ESC and the Mrs wants to walk up some hills today for some reason? But I need to check and rebuild the diffs and decide on connectrors anyway.....

Not going to bother installing anything, but quick look over.

My first ever Arrma remember......

Shell looks very nicely finished and the tyres definately seem much better than anything out of the box I've felt. No idea how they perform mind. Wing and bumpers look good quality.

Taking the shell off, bear in mind this is the upgraded EXB.....

The shock towers and braces look thicker than anything I'm used too, thats a positive. Shocks seem good quality. In fact, the whole truck does.

HOWEVER. The A-Arms and Turnbuckles are supposedly thicker and better for the EXB. If im honest, they look standard 1:8th size too me (by eye, I don't have anything to physically compare them too). They look fine for 1:8th, but its made me think how thin are they on the rest of the non EXB range?

Im not a big basher, so it wont be a problem, but maybe its cause you can see the thickness of the braces and the towers, but im not convinced by the chassis. Yes its 7075 this time, but its still 3mm. I'd have much rather paid an extra £40/50 for this to have a 4mm chassis with recess'd cut outs like the Tekno. Id PERSONALLY prefer it to be black without all the silly writing on, bash it, send it etc, but Im a boring old man?

Roll on ESC/Motor time

Congrats. (secretly hoping that one guy doesn’t post his dissertation AGAIN on why XMaxx old design, is the past ?) A-Arms do not seem to be a weak spot on the EXBs, so I would not worry too much about that. Stickers are easy to pull off. Enjoy it!

I’ve broke many EXB arms. Recorded in my YouTube channel. Of course I was sending mine off of 20 ft and one time a 65 ft rock pile. Point is if you just want to bash in the backyard you good to go, otherwise the arms are pretty durable. But nothing like RPM

My boy’s first run of his Kraton EXB just now. Storage voltage 4S battery. I built the rear diff as LSD with 5,000 weight fluid. Cant tell how it handles with the snow and ice.

Any “cheap” upgrades worth looking into before I run it?
There isn’t much of any upgrades unless you want to go full ham and buy an aftermarket chassis. I would just get a new RPM front bumper and RPM wing mount just in case. If you are going full mf send get extra Arms, if you watched my YT vid above you can use front upper RPM arms for a little extra strength/flex. Other than that you’ll just get screws loose, such as the front upper rear hinge pin block where the small set screw backs off also explained in my video. Oh and make sure to go in and check all three diffs for extra assurance. I’m sure the new EXBs come with those large ring shims for the bulkhead gear side bearing shimming. Again and after that is done go ride and have all the damned fun because you won’t have to worry about a damned gear and send it 60+ any which way you want to send this animal off just send it!!

Hello guys, I believe this is my first post on the forum, despite being a member for years...... (maybe not, looks like I have posted!)

Ive always wanted to get an Arrma, but for whatever reason its never happened.

I recently got back in to the hobby after a few years out, and got a Traxxas Rustler 4x4. The bug was back and I decided I needed something else. I wanted an Xmaxx, cause theyre awesome. I don't care what any of you say, I don't care if you hate Traxxas. Its the best RC there is. It just is. End of argument. That said, I've had 3, and I sunk a fortune into my last one, so anything I brought would either cost a fortune (which I cant afford), or not be as good. Plus, Ive had 3.

So it came down to theTekno MT410 and the Kraton EXB. They both work out the same sort of money (epecially as the combo/servo in my EXB are £350). Id have loved to have built a kit, but I've owned two Tekno's and never an Arrma.

So, the pipe dream was the EXB. I had no intention of getting one for a few months. I couldnt really afford one for a few months but hey. I spent most of the days over Xmas watching videos, and building up an EXB on online baskets.

I didnt intend on buying it yet, but Im in the UK, Horizon and Brexit scare me so Im anticiapating the price going up. So on New Years Eve, by hook or by crook, I ordered my new dream R/C.

Kraton EXB
Hobbywing Max 6/1650kv Combo
Savox SB2292SG Servo
Noble GT4 Computer Radio
gensacearespammers Lipos

I also ordered diff oils, pinion etc

And big props to Wheelspin and DPD, it came today

As you can see, a minor issue...... No Motor and ESC.......

The Max 6/ 1650kv combo was out of stock
:(
So will have to wait for that.

I ordered an array of diff oild because no one could seem to agree on a set up that worked. Also got some new Lipo's (cause you lot told me too) and went mental on servo, it was silly money but hey.

No idea when Ill get it up and running, as waiting on the ESC and the Mrs wants to walk up some hills today for some reason? But I need to check and rebuild the diffs and decide on connectrors anyway.....

Not going to bother installing anything, but quick look over.

My first ever Arrma remember......

Shell looks very nicely finished and the tyres definately seem much better than anything out of the box I've felt. No idea how they perform mind. Wing and bumpers look good quality.

Taking the shell off, bear in mind this is the upgraded EXB.....

The shock towers and braces look thicker than anything I'm used too, thats a positive. Shocks seem good quality. In fact, the whole truck does.

HOWEVER. The A-Arms and Turnbuckles are supposedly thicker and better for the EXB. If im honest, they look standard 1:8th size too me (by eye, I don't have anything to physically compare them too). They look fine for 1:8th, but its made me think how thin are they on the rest of the non EXB range?

Im not a big basher, so it wont be a problem, but maybe its cause you can see the thickness of the braces and the towers, but im not convinced by the chassis. Yes its 7075 this time, but its still 3mm. I'd have much rather paid an extra £40/50 for this to have a 4mm chassis with recess'd cut outs like the Tekno. Id PERSONALLY prefer it to be black without all the silly writing on, bash it, send it etc, but Im a boring old man?

Roll on ESC/Motor time
I just got one last week just before the new year. Servo ordered, along with the Radio/transmitter/receiver. I'll probably go with the CCMMx8s 1717 sensored motor 1650kv. I didn't realize how big this thing was until that box arrived. Hope it puts a smile on your face on your first BASH with it!

Hi guys as you all saw, I received my Kraton EXB on Saturday and just started to rebuild it up. I've had over 100 R/Cs, and this is my first Arrma..... Must admit im MASSIVELY dissapointed so far... There is a ridiculous amount of play in the suspension. I don't mean in the suspension mounting points, I mean in the shock shaft to body.... It appears the shock shaft is around 1mm too thin for the body and results in a massive amount of play? Also, this thing is such a head ache to work on? Im by no means new to the hobby, but All I want to do is refill and shim the diffs, Ive done the front and gave up! The Centre diff looks like a hell of alot of work to remove? Anyone else had these issues?

Thanks

Nope. Just refilled the diffs and rebuilt the rear as LSD on my son’s. I didn’t rebuild the shocks but I have no such issues. Of the shock shaft was too small it would leak would t it?

Getting the front and rear diffs out is easy. Disconnect the sway bar (two screws) and it’s four whole screws in the front. In the rear I take the wing mount off but you don’t have to. The center is 4 screws and it slides out. I don’t understand what is difficult about that?

Site contributor and content creator @razorrc has a video that may help save you time.

I should have specified, the Centre Diff. Im using page 12 of the manual, involves removing the dirt guard, removing one of the centre brace screws etc. Just seems so extra, but agree to disagree.

There is considerable movement in my shocks, it obviously isnt cause by th shaft been too thin, as you would say, that would leak, but there is considerable play......

I should have specified, the Centre Diff. Im using page 12 of the manual, involves removing the dirt guard, removing one of the centre brace screws etc. Just seems so extra, but agree to disagree.

There is considerable movement in my shocks, it obviously isnt cause by th shaft been too thin, as you would say, that would leak, but there is considerable play......
I have the front and rear done as well in my channel. I really hope my videos helped

Last edited:
Plenty of cheap upgrades out there, just depends what you call cheap £££s ?

As for diff oils, I run F60k/C200k/R20k in mine.

Seriously. Three screws and then the 4 on the diff cover. That’s it. I’m not sure how you think they could have designed easier access with a tower to tower brace. This takes what, three minutes?

Hi guys,

So the centre diff escapade was my bad, simple to sort in the end, initally thought the front mud guard was one piece so couldnt see how to remove it as it passed under the brace. Instructions would have saved me, but thats all done now. Diffs are re oiled, fully and thicker and correctly shimmed.

However, shock play. I've taken the shock off, removed the spring, and Ill let you guys decide if this is accepatable? The first part of the video, the shock is fully extended, and wobbles a huge amount. I then compress the shock a bit to insinuate the truck is resting under load and there is still IMO a fair bit of play with the shock shaft, but make of this what you will:

Open it up, see if the piston is loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back