Need help picking a motor. Is anyone familiar with Hobbywing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I am looking to replace the Losi Lasenut U4 3660 1900kv motor this summer.

I am happy with the current motor since I bash and run it full throttle. Here is the goal. This summer I will visit my brother in Calif and my friend in Portland. My friend in Portland is also a crawler but has nice trails and other places perfect for the Lasernut...really both states.

I am looking for a sensored motor that is about the same as the stock 1900kv or somewhat equal. I am not looking to overpower it or anything like that. I want a motor that works with the HW Max8 G2 so I can pull the radio trigger for slower speeds and no cogging for trails. Also, when I am back home still bash which is no issue. It's the lower speeds sensored and keep it close to stock I am looking for the HW motor.

When I got the HW Max8 G2 I did not get the combo motor they offer with it: EZRUN MAX8 G2 Motor 4268-2250kv

The HW 2250kv sensored motor is higher kv than the stock 1900kv motor. Is there a concern with the torque loss for this rock racer RC with that motor?

Is there another HW sensor motor I should look at for comparison?

4S power is what it is running on for all motors.

TIA

Last edited:
What torque loss?
Higher kV motors of the same size do NOT have less torque...that's not how brushless motors work.

Also, the 4268 2500kV and 4274 2250kV are both a lot more motor than the stock 3660 motor.

They are both bigger in diameter (42mm vs 36mm) and longer (68mm/74mm vs 60mm) and will have way more torque.

Make sure they actually fit in the Lasernut.

What @Snowmandk said is true. you'll have much much more torque with the 42mm motor.

i'de go for a max10 not max8 system, the 2400kv combo should be perfect for the lazernut, it will give you much more power than the stock system and is sensored

Last edited:
You can use any brand sensored motor with that ESC via this cable.

Check out the Castle 1412 2100kv. It’s the same size as your current motor. You can pinion down to account for the kv change.

Last edited:
I’d go for the HW2250 sensored. I like to run my FTX DR8 on trails and I think it’s more or less comparable in both style and weight. Mine is about 4.7KG without lipo. It’s a 6s rig, but I always run it on 4s. Rebranded HW quicrun esc and 2000kv 4274 motor, which I uograded to a 2000kv 4082 Leopard🙄. On the trails it cogs if I try to run it slowly (Probably also due to a bigger pinion I run).
I’m actually considering that HW sensored combo you mentioned if the electronics need replacing.
A 4274 has no problem with a 1/8 scale rig, 2250kv would be perfect on 4s and sensored for no cogging👍.

What torque loss?
Higher kV motors of the same size do NOT have less torque...that's not how brushless motors work.

Also, the 4268 2500kV and 4274 2250kV are both a lot more motor than the stock 3660 motor.

They are both bigger in diameter (42mm vs 36mm) and longer (68mm/74mm vs 60mm) and will have way more torque.

Make sure they actually fit in the Lasernut.
Motor and torque all new to me. Thx 😊
I’d go for the HW2250 sensored. I like to run my FTX DR8 on trails and I think it’s more or less comparable in both style and weight. Mine is about 4.7KG without lipo. It’s a 6s rig, but I always run it on 4s. Rebranded HW quicrun esc and 2000kv 4274 motor, which I uograded to a 2000kv 4082 Leopard🙄. On the trails it cogs if I try to run it slowly (Probably also due to a bigger pinion I run).
I’m actually considering that HW sensored combo you mentioned if the electronics need replacing.
A 4274 has no problem with a 1/8 scale rig, 2250kv would be perfect on 4s and sensored for no cogging👍.
Good feedback and explanation. Thx!
You can use any brand sensored motor with that ESC via this cable.

Check out the Castle 1412 2100kv. It’s the same size as your current motor. You can pinion down to account for the kv change.
Thank you...I was not aware of those options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back