Granite Need help upgrading my Arrma 4x4 Mega 550 brushes to a 3S BLX brushless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjeev Garg

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am very new to this RC car hobby and I got my first car a few weeks ago. My first car was a Arrma granite 550 Mega brushed 4x4 and after running it a few times I realized that I wanted something faster and more powerful. Since I have a limited budget I can’t buy a new 3S big rock or vortex. I looked at a couple YouTube videos about how to upgrade this existing brushed granite to a 3S BLX brushless 4x4. I didn’t understand half the things they were saying because of my limited knowledge of the parts and all in this hobby 😅. If someone could please guide me and tell me what parts and upgrades I need to order to make this 3S power capable then it would be fantastic! Thanks in advance and sorry for any confusion in my explanation due to my inexperience in this stuff.

If you are on a budget, your best bet is to sell the Granite Mega and buy a 3S BLX brushless vehicle.

Buying just the essential parts from a kit breaker like Jenny's will run you close to $160 - retail even more.
3S BLX motor mount and heat sink/fan: $19.47
Firma Motor: $44.29
Pinion: $2.47
Slipper Assembly: $44.47
BLX100 ESC: $47.29

and that's not including a "better" crappy servo and actual turnbuckles you would get with a 3S BLX version of the vehicle. You also get a two-year warranty when buying a complete 3S BLX vehicle instead of no warranty by putting parts together.

If you are on a budget, your best bet is to sell the Granite Mega and buy a 3S BLX brushless vehicle.

Buying just the essential parts from a kit breaker like Jenny's will run you close to $160 - retail even more.
3S BLX motor mount and heat sink/fan: $19.47
Firma Motor: $44.29
Pinion: $2.47
Slipper Assembly: $44.47
BLX100 ESC: $47.29

and that's not including a "better" crappy servo and actual turnbuckles you would get with a 3S BLX version of the vehicle. You also get a two-year warranty when buying a complete 3S BLX vehicle instead of no warranty by putting parts together.
Ahhh got it. I didn’t consider the fact that I can sell this one 😅. Anyways thanks for the information, this will really help me decide what I want to do!

Hello!
I am very new to this RC car hobby and I got my first car a few weeks ago. My first car was a Arrma granite 550 Mega brushed 4x4 and after running it a few times I realized that I wanted something faster and more powerful. Since I have a limited budget I can’t buy a new 3S big rock or vortex. I looked at a couple YouTube videos about how to upgrade this existing brushed granite to a 3S BLX brushless 4x4. I didn’t understand half the things they were saying because of my limited knowledge of the parts and all in this hobby 😅. If someone could please guide me and tell me what parts and upgrades I need to order to make this 3S power capable then it would be fantastic! Thanks in advance and sorry for any confusion in my explanation due to my inexperience in this
What engineer said, dude. You have to like working on them for it to be worth it because it’s simply not cost effective. If you want to try, you can get much of the parts you need pretty cheap (see engineers post) on Jenny’s RC. They’re almost always out so you have to sign up for the email reminder and wait.
Good luck!

Hello again!
is it possible for me to make the granite 550 straight into a 4s by putting in a 4s motor and 120 amp esc?

Hello again!
is it possible for me to make the granite 550 straight into a 4s by putting in a 4s motor and 120 amp esc?
Yes. But I would look into replacing the input gears and getting a 4s slipper clutch with a metal spur gear. At the very least get the hd 13t input gears. As well as the BLX motor mount or the Hot Racing motor mount.
Obviously you would have to make sure the spur and pinion gears have the same pitch teeth. The BLX spur and pinion have 0.8 mod gears or 32p. Spur has 57 teeth.

Last edited:
Yes. But I would look into replacing the input gears and getting a 4s slipper clutch with a metal spur gear. At the very least get the hd 13t input gears. As well as the BLX motor mount or the Hot Racing motor mount.
Obviously you would have to make sure the spur and pinion gears have the same pitch teeth. The BLX spur and pinion have 0.8 mod gears or 32p. Spur has 57 teeth.
4s slipper clutch? And 13t inputs. I must look into that.
0.8 mod and 32 pitch are the same thing. sweet and thanks man…helped me learn a couple somethings before 1pm this Saturday 🤪

Back