Limitless Need help with Limitless first time build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumpy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have just built my first speed run car, I am having issues with it and I think it's the motor but I'm not sure. I have put in a Torox 185 esc and a Kuron 825 motor out of a team Corally Punisher.
I am running a 32 tooth pinon with the stock 39 tooth spur with a DumboRC x6 transmitter and X6FG receiver and two 3s lipo 120c.
I know not the best combo, but I wanted to start with the bits I had. The best speed I have had is 71mph, but the motor seems to cut out and then restart, that's the only way I can explain it. I feel like the motor has more in it.
I have an FTX Supafoza and I can get 89mph with a 23 tooth pinon with the stock motor, which is the same 2050kv as the Kuron. What am I doing wrong with the the Limitless?

Any help would be really appreciated.

20230803_192451.jpg

20230803_192457.jpg

20230803_192605.jpg

It's likely the ESC cutting out, not the motor. What ESC is in the SuperForza and how do you like that car overall?

It's likely the ESC cutting out, not the motor. What ESC is in the SuperForza and how do you like that car overall?
Thanks will try swapping in out with a 6s arrma esc, the ftx is awesome on stock its quick and fun to drive plus the tyres are cheaper than the felony.

Thanks will try swapping in out with a 6s arrma esc, the ftx is awesome on stock its quick and fun to drive plus the tyres are cheaper than the felony.
The Torox should perform better than the 6S arrma ESC. It is a rebrand of the Hobbywing Max 8, while the Firma 150 is a rebrand of the lower quality Hobbywing 8BL150.

My point wasn’t about that ESC in particular, just that the symptom seems to be more of an ESC problem than motor problem. It could also be a poor connection somewhere. Check your solder joints. What battery are you using?

The Torox should perform better than the 6S arrma ESC. It is a rebrand of the Hobbywing Max 8, while the Firma 150 is a rebrand of the lower quality Hobbywing 8BL150.

My point wasn’t about that ESC in particular, just that the symptom seems to be more of an ESC problem than motor problem. It could also be a poor connection somewhere. Check your solder joints. What battery are you using?
Thanks will check everything, batteries I have tried are Zeee 120c, DXF 160c seems to have same issues on both batteries,

Don't stare blindly on those high C ratings, effectively they will be much closer to 30C.

Low voltage protection (due to voltage sag) or over amp protection or over temperature protection of the esc certainly kicks in. A motor doesn't hold back unless its burned and you will certainly smell it.
Go down on gearing. If there were no restrictions it would want to go up to 125mph with its current gearing. Except for some castle esc's none other is capable of dealing with the amp draw this asks.
26T pinion would gear it to 100mph.

Also don't squeeze the trigger, you need a long road and subtle acceleration to acheive 100mph

Rotuaq is right. Took me a while to get into the habit of being patient with the throttle. I am just getting used to it doing 100mph! From what I was advised to to was, get used to getting up to a certain speed, then try for a bit faster, then get used to that etc.🚘

RTR-type ESCs usually will limit you to around 90-100 mph. You likely have some more speed you can squeeze out of it.
The biggest thing is that all of these hobbywing based ESCs have amperage limiting. (This is why all speed runners use Castle XLX2 or MMX8s)

You will have to work on a very slow throttle application this will help avoid the amp limiting from hitting. This will lend to needing a long run and strong radio range. You will quickly see how one thing leads to another and it all costs $$$.

Sorry I have not replied, had a heart bypass late last year and have ran in to a few issues, thanks for all the help. I have ordered an MMX8 esc, I would like to run a 26t pinion like rotaug said but will I need to change the motor mount as the smallest I can fit is a 32t pinon?
Again thanks for the help you guys are amazing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back