Limitless Need some help and opinions fellow speed runners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So many of you know I got into speed running the beginning of the year and have been absolutely hooked! So current Limitless setup is MMX8S, full Basherqueen set, GP5 diffs, and last few passes TP 4050 2100kv and before was TP 4060-cm 2080kv for PB of 138mph. So question is what would you suggest for a motor to get into 150's to 160's? Would you suggest Castle 1717 or 1520 1650kv being Y wind and sensored? Would you suggest a different TP motor? I plan to go to XLX2 eventually but I think first a new motor until MMX8S is absolutely maxed out what I can get from it. Now money has been tight but I just got my retirement (401k) in the mail unexpectedly as I'm guessing the plan expired since I no longer work for the company. Now hold on I know what your thinking don't spend your retirement on RC's, but I'm not. So since loosing my job somehow retirement was still being paid by the company so I've gained an extra $1500+/- that was not expected so I'd like to use some of the extra unexpected funds for my hobby "therapy". The other $7k will go into an IRA when I decide which I'd like to choose, also if you have input for a good IRA please let me know. So what are your suggestions? Also I'd like to thank and repay anyone that has offered and helped me out along the way in any way I can so please send me a PM so I can pay it forward back to those that have been so amazing to me. Again thank you for any suggestions on either the motor or the IRA, Ian

I know your plate is full but if there is anyway I can help get you back up and chasing your goals let me know.

I know your plate is full but if there is anyway I can help get you back up and chasing your goals let me know.
I appreciate it very much but I'm all good to go. Just waiting on parts in the mail to get the Lim back going. Like I said I have some funds now so I don't want to ask for any help but instead would like to give back as I've been helped tremendously. I'm just not to confident in my motor/ESC setup to get me to my goal of 150mph that's why I asked for suggestions on a better motor than the TP 4050 2100kv I'm having to run now. Again I appreciate the offer very much!

Nice. So glad things are looking up for you!!!!
Oh man us too!! Also just had our property appraised to help get rid of the PMI insurance and thankfully value went up by almost 80k in 2 yrs so that dropped our mortgage payment down $400 a month!

I’m hesitant to give advice to someone who’s gone 1mph faster than me, but I do want to say I’m glad you had a twist of good fortune and glad to see you back in the game. 💪🏻

I’m hesitant to give advice to someone who’s gone 1mph faster than me, but I do want to say I’m glad you had a twist of good fortune and glad to see you back in the game. 💪🏻
Thank you brother, and I really appreciate all your help, support and suggestions since I've joined the forum! Just know that 1mph faster definitely is thanks to a lot of your helpful suggestions and knowledge along the way!

You really cannot beat the torque of the 1/5 scale motors.
My current #1 recommendations would be the following 2 options:
1. Castle 1100kv 2028 (4 pole)
2. TP5660 1460kv ( wye-wind 6-pole)

I believe castle ESCs run a little better on y-wind motors, at least for now.
Worlds fastest open wheel limitless and GT Limitless both run #2 noted above.

Thanks for the info @LibertyMKiii!

With the Castle 1100, which spur/pinion combo would you suggest at, let's say, 100, 120, 140 (mph)? Thanks buddy, Dave

With the Castle 1100, which spur/pinion combo would you suggest at, let's say, 100, 120, 140 (mph)? Thanks buddy, Dave
There are many factors that will make the numbers vary. Batteries being the largest one effecting voltage drop.
When giving gearing it can be different if you have a Typhon/Limitless/Infraction V1 vs a setup using the Infraction/Felony 2.8 diffs.

I have recently liked using final drive ratios instead of specific spur and pinion combinations. My recommendation is to download a RC gearing app and get used to playing with the gears and voltage to match what your run did. This will help you make gearing decisions.

Example a Limitless with the original 3.3 diffs with a 29T spur and 34T pinion would be a FD ratio of 2.81
If this car had the 2.8 diffs then the FD ratio would be 2.39

FD 2.8 around 110 mph
FD 2.6 around 120 mph
FD 2.4 around 130 mph
FD 2.2 around 140 mph

At lower speeds the voltage drop will be less and the calculated speed likely will be higher. As you increase in speed and the amperage load increases the voltage drop will be larger making the motor output less rpms and you will see less top speed. Again battery quality and their capacity have a large impact on this. Weight, aerodynamics, and harmonic vibrations are another big factor.

Generally when running at speeds around 130+ the 8s voltage drops down around 23-24.5 volts. The speeds provided above were with the assumption voltage drops to around 24v.

Therefor with the 1100kv requiring such FD's, putting the GP5 (2.8) diffs in the limitless is basically a must have

PPS Adjustable motor mount also helps quite a bit as it allows more adjustment than the factory motor mount.

There are many factors that will make the numbers vary. Batteries being the largest one effecting voltage drop.
When giving gearing it can be different if you have a Typhon/Limitless/Infraction V1 vs a setup using the Infraction/Felony 2.8 diffs.

I have recently liked using final drive ratios instead of specific spur and pinion combinations. My recommendation is to download a RC gearing app and get used to playing with the gears and voltage to match what your run did. This will help you make gearing decisions.

Example a Limitless with the original 3.3 diffs with a 29T spur and 34T pinion would be a FD ratio of 2.81
If this car had the 2.8 diffs then the FD ratio would be 2.39

FD 2.8 around 110 mph
FD 2.6 around 120 mph
FD 2.4 around 130 mph
FD 2.2 around 140 mph

At lower speeds the voltage drop will be less and the calculated speed likely will be higher. As you increase in speed and the amperage load increases the voltage drop will be larger making the motor output less rpms and you will see less top speed. Again battery quality and their capacity have a large impact on this. Weight, aerodynamics, and harmonic vibrations are another big factor.

Generally when running at speeds around 130+ the 8s voltage drops down around 23-24.5 volts. The speeds provided above were with the assumption voltage drops to around 24v.
Thanks so much, grease-brother. You know, I am now planning on another Arrma car. The Felony is sweet-looking. BTW, I am using a 1/5scale motor mount. I set the car up 29S/34P and it doesn't reach. The only other pinion IO have is a 40T. Thanks so much for your help, Dave

Thanks so much, grease-brother. You know, I am now planning on another Arrma car. The Felony is sweet-looking. BTW, I am using a 1/5scale motor mount. I set the car up 29S/34P and it doesn't reach. The only other pinion IO have is a 40T. Thanks so much for your help, Dave
I think the smallest you can run on the L v2 is 32/39. Also I think when referring to gearing its pinion/spur not sure. jus fyi.

Probably has to do with the 1/5 mount. Most 1/5 motors are lower KV so you need a larger pinion to go fast.

With that low 1100 kv you could probably get away with a 40tp and 34ts. You also have to look at the total tooth count of 74t and make sure the mount can do that count. I believe they all can handle 74t.

That setup if the batteries are decent on 8s should net in the 115-125 mph range.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back