New Big Rock upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is crazy but I won another raffle for $1000 at a hobby shop. I am looking to upgrade my Big Rock, lookin for suggestions.
With that loot geez that's a shopping spree😁👍. upgrade everything.get all the bling ..new motor .ESC.servo..suspension.wheels get it all 👍

Are you being paid in cash or do you have to put the funds into something at that hobby shop?

Yes I’m shocked

It’s a gift certificate at the hobby shop, I pay shipping.
How far is the hobby shop from you? If it's not far you could save on shipping but then again if there is shipping mentioned most likely it's not in your state.hopefully prices at the shop didn't get jacked up .
Absolutely agree with this. Buy another truck. DO NOT spend $1000 worth of upgrades on your big rock LOL
Hey now what's so bad about spending money on a Big Rock 🥺?

How far is the hobby shop from you? If it's not far you could save on shipping but then again if there is shipping mentioned most likely it's not in your state.hopefully prices at the shop didn't get jacked up .

Nothing wrong at all! I just recently got the CNC diff for the rear on my own big rock. But don't spend AAAALLLL of that $1000 on the big rock :ROFLMAO: There are alot of RCs out there that are awesome. I'm saying take this opportunity to explore more of them and try one of them!

Nothing wrong at all! I just recently got the CNC diff for the rear on my own big rock. But don't spend AAAALLLL of that $1000 on the big rock :ROFLMAO: There are alot of RCs out there that are awesome. I'm saying take this opportunity to explore more of them and try one of them!
I hear ya bud😁 good call.question and sorry to ask on someone's else's thread but what are them CNC diffs you speak of.? Going 4s on mine and and I'm interested .could you plz either pm me or go in my build thread and show me and a link plz .I would appreciate it a lot thank you

With that loot geez that's a shopping spree😁👍. upgrade everything.get all the bling ..new motor .ESC.servo..suspension.wheels get it all 👍
I’m very green, any suggestions on exactly what to get?
I’m thinking of getting 2 mini rock crawlers

I’m in Fl they are in Long Island
Everything I do get must be pairs. For me and Dad. Both have big rock

Last edited:
I’m very green, any suggestions on exactly what to get?
First thing would be to change out that stock servo.my experience it won't last.im taking your using your big rock as it's meant for and that's for bashing .like off-road use and if so then it's not going to hold up well .example I only do off road and moderate speed passes with mine and after 3 weeks it went out on me so off road is more abuse so I would imagine it's worse..get a servo..then suspension.lower control arms and tei rods..and cv axles.i don't know if you plan on taking there advice and buying a whole new different truck cause if you do then there won't be much left of that 1000.. especially if you go 6s.just the lipo batterys will cost a lot plus the right charger.you could easily spend well over 400 just in that ..it all depends what you want..plus if you go bigger then expect things to cost more and you might loose interest in the hobby due to cost of breaking things ..the big rock is cost effective and you can still have a blast and enjoy the hobby without breaking the bank.its gonna jump just like any other rig out there and it's durable.im not a off-road bashers so I decided to transform mine into a stretched street speedster.thats what I enjoy .👍😁

Last edited:
I hear ya bud😁 good call.question and sorry to ask on someone's else's thread but what are them CNC diffs you speak of.? Going 4s on mine and and I'm interested .could you plz either pm me or go in my build thread and show me and a link plz .I would appreciate it a lot thank you
I bought ARA311072 just recently, but now it says its discontinued...? You can still buy the pieces separately though and use the internals from your existing diff:
AR310885
AR310886
AR310772

The alternate is the standard metal gear diff, which is in the 4s kraton and notorious - ARA311156.

I bought ARA311072 just recently, but now it says its discontinued...? You can still buy the pieces separately though and use the internals from your existing diff:
AR310885
AR310886
AR310772

The alternate is the standard metal gear diff, which is in the 4s kraton and notorious - ARA311156.
So changing my diffs in my v3 is needed once I put in the MM2 and castle 2650? I'm a little confused because some say the v3 already has 4s capable diffs .but all the gears are not metal so I don't get how they say that.im thinking with more power means I would need all metal because to me plastic and metal shouldn't work together.common sense metal gears will eventually wear out plastic.Must I remind you that I only do moderate speed passes and occasionally a little street bashing nothing crazy so not sure if I need metal diffs.whats your take?

So changing my diffs in my v3 is needed once I put in the MM2 and castle 2650? I'm a little confused because some say the v3 already has 4s capable diffs .but all the gears are not metal so I don't get how they say that.im thinking with more power means I would need all metal because to me plastic and metal shouldn't work together.common sense metal gears will eventually wear out plastic.Must I remind you that I only do moderate speed passes and occasionally a little street bashing nothing crazy so not sure if I need metal diffs.whats your take?
I never recommend upgrading things until they break. But that's just my style and budget.

However, if you are going to do something outside of what the car was designed for (so like running 4s), i might consider doing a few pre-emptive upgrades, but i would keep it limited. Off road, the stock diffs won't last long on 4s unless you are VERY gentle with it. On road w 4s, they might last if your easy with braking and accelerating.

Long term, i think you'd want at least an aluminum diff yoke, like the Hot Racing. The aluminum diff yoke will help the plastic diff last longer, but it's not snake oil. Big shock loads on the drive train will eventually cause the plastic diffs to break teeth. But if it's running, then i wouldn't bother changing out to metal diffs just yet.

For OP, if you're looking for big rock upgrades, get the HR diff yokes for sure (at least in the rear).

I never recommend upgrading things until they break. But that's just my style and budget.

However, if you are going to do something outside of what the car was designed for (so like running 4s), i might consider doing a few pre-emptive upgrades, but i would keep it limited. Off road, the stock diffs won't last long on 4s unless you are VERY gentle with it. On road w 4s, they might last if your easy with braking and accelerating.

Long term, i think you'd want at least an aluminum diff yoke, like the Hot Racing. The aluminum diff yoke will help the plastic diff last longer, but it's not snake oil. Big shock loads on the drive train will eventually cause the plastic diffs to break teeth. But if it's running, then i wouldn't bother changing out to metal diffs just yet.

For OP, if you're looking for big rock upgrades, get the HR diff yokes for sure (at least in the rear).
I PM ed you👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back