Big Rock New electronics running hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robingro

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a hobbywing max10 sct 120a paired with a 4068 2200kv motor running a 20t pinion(trying to match stock top speed) thought this setup would be stronger and run cooler but it coggy and overheating. Is the esc insufficient?

Edit: running 3s, badlands mx28, offroad surface

Last edited:
Welcome @Robingro . I would install a 15t or so pinion on it and a fan on the motor. Get a temp gun from amazon for 20 or so and check your motor and esc temps. Yes, You may be asking a lot from the combo you have. Is that a big rock you have?

Welcome @Robingro . I would install a 15t or so pinion on it and a fan on the motor. Get a temp gun from amazon for 20 or so and check your motor and esc temps. Yes, You may be asking a lot from the combo you have. Is that a big rock you have?
Yes its a big rock, yeah was thinking of trying the stock pinion, but that would give me a theoretical speed of 30ish mph wich isnt to appealing, the whole reason i got the 4068 was because i wanted more torque but maybe a 3670 2500kv would be a better fit?

Is it faster than stock setup??always make sure it's faster going forward than reverse...could possibly need to change motor direction on esc

How well does the truck pass the push test?
With the power unit install and then without it installed?

Agreed that those electronics shouldn't be struggling with that gearing. Which makes me think you've got losses or binding somewhere else that you'll want to investigate. Perhaps a bad electrical connection?

It's never the esc fault (unless it's really faulty) If the esc is insufficient it will cutoff.

Also don't look at voltage*kv only for calculating rpms for top speed. A torque-ier motor will spin up faster and might netto do more rpm's than you predict (or actually the stock was doing less rpm's than you thought)

Gear down, and see what it does.

Thanks for the replys, i'll definitely try gearing down, i'll update on how it goes :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back