New Kraton EXB Owner Motor Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomB88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have wanted a Kraton for a while and finally bought a used EXB with a max6 and 4274 2200kv motor. Looking for some advice on motor/pinion setup as I am new to brushless RC's (have a few 1/5 petrol).

The previous owner has been running on a 15t pinion, but I read here that may be too much for 2200kv and that kv is too much for the Kraton.

I have some options and would like your experienced input. I don't want to fry anything on the first outing - not so bothered about the motor, but don't want to bugger the ESC.

1. Keep the 2200kv motor and 15t pinion whilst monitoring temps
2. Keep the 2200kv motor and gear down (the lowest I have on hand is 14t)
3. Swap a 4092 Leopard 1480kv motor from a Hyper ST conversion (that I never finished) - would require swapping bullet connectors
4. Buy a Hobbywing 4985 for £85 and gear up to a 20 ish t pinion

I will be running mostly on very short/well trodden grass, some of which is rutted/uneven possibly with some dirt/mud thrown in sometimes if that makes a difference.

Grateful for any input.

Cheers

2200kv is too much for 6s. Especially in a heavy rig like yours.
Ideally, for efficiency and reliability and heat control, your motor should be kept to 30k-35k rpm on the voltage you intend to use. 2200kv on 22.2 volts is just under 50k rpm. That motor is more suitable for 4s. That's another option you could consider. But it may heat up quickly, just like the stock motors tend to do. They are simply a bit small for Arrma 6s cars.
Since you already have a 4092, you might want to try that. People seem to like that motor. It will handle 6s just fine.
The 4985 motor in 1650kv, is the strongest of the motors you mentioned. On 6s it will throw the car around like a ragdoll and won't break a sweat doing so. With the Max6, it is a very popular combo that even runs surprisingly well on 4s.

If it’s an EZRun motor, that’s a great combo and you could probably go up 16T with a fan on fortress tires. Depends on usage for larger volume can/lower kV, could gear up even more and be happy with 4S on a course. Temps will give you the best feedback for your application. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have wanted a Kraton for a while and finally bought a used EXB with a max6 and 4274 2200kv motor. Looking for some advice on motor/pinion setup as I am new to brushless RC's (have a few 1/5 petrol).

The previous owner has been running on a 15t pinion, but I read here that may be too much for 2200kv and that kv is too much for the Kraton.

I have some options and would like your experienced input. I don't want to fry anything on the first outing - not so bothered about the motor, but don't want to bugger the ESC.

1. Keep the 2200kv motor and 15t pinion whilst monitoring temps
2. Keep the 2200kv motor and gear down (the lowest I have on hand is 14t)
3. Swap a 4092 Leopard 1480kv motor from a Hyper ST conversion (that I never finished) - would require swapping bullet connectors
4. Buy a Hobbywing 4985 for £85 and gear up to a 20 ish t pinion

I will be running mostly on very short/well trodden grass, some of which is rutted/uneven possibly with some dirt/mud thrown in sometimes if that makes a difference.

Grateful for any input.

Cheers
you mite be alright with a 15t in winter. but I would run a 13t or 14t with high speed fans depends how you run it really. any motor will get hot running full trigger all the time unless its freezing out

you mite be alright with a 15t in winter. but I would run a 13t or 14t with high speed fans depends how you run it really. any motor will get hot running full trigger all the time unless its freezing out
Pretty much nailed it. If its below 65f out I can run the speed pinion (15t or 16t don't remember) with a fan no problem but in the summer I run a 13t and watch the temps with a temp gun. I also tend to run pretty hard for the duration of my packs. You may be fine depending how you run it. I would suggest getting a temp gun and see if you need to upgrade.

Run it and watch temps. Make changes depending on how it performs for you. If it runs hot and you like the speed try fans. If you want more torque lower kv and adjust pinion. Tire size and weight will factor in too. Drive that sucker and use your finger to judge heat . If it burns your finger it’s too hot if it doesn’t you’re good. Or buy a temp gun and stay below 160 lol 😆

Kraton is a 12lb+ rig (close to 14lbs+ with batteries).

The 2200kv motor will be fine as long as you gear down on the pinion and add a fan if you're running 6S.

Back