Infraction Build - Motor Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatebowman124

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
I have newly acquired a Infraction 6S that I am going to be upgrading quite heavily. I am wanting to put a XLX2 from castle to run 8S. I am looking for a TP Power motor or something of the sort. The problem lies in I do not know how to navigate the site to find a motor that is capable of 8S as well as what thee best option would be for my build. If you have any incite on what I should do please help. I am wanting to build a racer that is capable of high speed but can drift and do all the fun things we all love.

I have newly acquired a Infraction 6S that I am going to be upgrading quite heavily. I am wanting to put a XLX2 from castle to run 8S. I am looking for a TP Power motor or something of the sort. The problem lies in I do not know how to navigate the site to find a motor that is capable of 8S as well as what thee best option would be for my build. If you have any incite on what I should do please help. I am wanting to build a racer that is capable of high speed but can drift and do all the fun things we all love.
Do you want to keep stock motor mount? Some of the longer TP Motors will require ditching a battery tray and flipping the mount around to fit. If you're willing to go as far as XLX2 though it might be worth considering. You can fit MMX8s in the stock ESC position without additional parts and the castle 1717 1650kv just barely, or even the Max6 G2 and 4990 motor just barely, or even the 5690 just barely if you gear high enough. But in terms of motor length your absolute limit in stock position is 90mm long without flipping the mount. Most TP Power motors should say the highest battery they can run, but those are based on high speed runs and not necessarily good for drifting. For drift motor on 8s you will likely wanna stay under 1700kv, and to be safe you might wanna think about lower like around 12-1400kv range.

It is nearly impossible to have a speed setup and also a drift setup with the same motor.

Your best bet as mentioned might by to use a bashing setup around 1400-1700 kv and then gear up when you want to speed run.
You will still need a good cooling setup on the motor when drifting around.

If it doesn't say what the max voltage is that the motor can handle, take the max RPM and divide it by the KV of the motor. That will give you the max voltage it can take. As for what motor to get, that's going to be a solid "it depends". What's your goal? What are you going to use the car for? If this is your first foray, I wouldn't go crazy and get too exotic. I would recommend getting either a 4070CM or 4070SVM (they both have stainless steel sleeved rotors for higher max RPM over the standard motors). That will give you plenty of power for just about anything you'd want to do (even speeds north of 160mph if that is your aim). You can go either Delta or Wye (D or Y wind, respectively) wound, it doesn't really matter and with few exceptions, most of them will handle 8S (anything up to 2200KV).

The XLX2 is a bit finnicky when it comes to 6-pole motors (all of the 56xx and 58xx motors are 6-pole) that's why I'd suggest going with a 4070 which is a 4-pole. You would have to flip the motor mount around as it's too long to fit. If you want to keep the motor mount in stock orientation you'd need to stay under 85mm, a 4050CM, for example, would fit there (still lots of power).

I run the Max6 and 4990 1650kv in my felony for speed and drifting. The power is too much on 8s even on 6s I can blow the tires off the rims, at will. One run one set of tires! :( On most days I run it at 75% 6s. Just so you know front and rear gears are the same now and tires are 53-100 rear and 42-100 front. On my Infraction 6S I have been running the stock system on 6s 100% and its way better to control than the Felony with all its power.

I’m running the Spektrum limitless set. Says 100 on the box. Bit running stock spur and a 32 tooth pinion I’m not quite hitting 100.im sure it’s because I haven’t had a long clean run without smashing it. Driver error and a sketchy road equals? I’ll get there. Skyline body next

IMG_3526.jpeg

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

I just built a Lim V2, and for those of you playing by the old V1 rules, things have changed. I’m running an XLX2 in the stock ESC location and a TP 4070 in the stock motor mount position without flipping it. I’m even running the stock RX/servo mount. It all fits just fine. I’m even using the stock battery trays!
IMG_3093.jpeg

I just built a Lim V2, and for those of you playing by the old V1 rules, things have changed. I’m running an XLX2 in the stock ESC location and a TP 4070 in the stock motor mount position without flipping it. I’m even running the stock RX/servo mount. It all fits just fine. I’m even using the stock battery trays!
Awesome, so how much you want for this?
1709068167078.png

I’m running the Spektrum limitless set. Says 100 on the box. Bit running stock spur and a 32 tooth pinion I’m not quite hitting 100.im sure it’s because I haven’t had a long clean run without smashing it. Driver error and a sketchy road equals? I’ll get there. Skyline body next

View attachment 351226

View attachment 351227

View attachment 351228
I'm pretty sure it says 85+ on the box but I've been wrong before...once. The stock ESC can manage 100mph on a good day, but barely. The conditions and car prep have to be on point as well. But, as said, that's on the best of days. The motor can do that and more easily (Slow RC Mike hit 130mph on 3S with the Spektrum 4074 2050KV the other day). The ESC is the weak link in the stock electronics.

View attachment 351229
The V2 can accommodate with the new motor position. But I didn't want to suggest he go out and buy a Lim V2 since he just got the Infraction. ;-)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it says 85+ on the box but I've been wrong before...once. The stock ESC can manage 00mph on a good day, but barely. The conditions and car prep have to be on point as well. But, as said, that's on the best of days. The motor can do that and more easily (Slow RC Mike hit 130mph on 3S with the Spektrum 4074 2050KV the other day). The ESC is the weak link in the stock electronics.
I would wager a few dollars that the new Black 150 spektrum ESC can handle a bit more.

Awesome, so how much you want for this?
View attachment 351230
Aw heck, I ain’t even got the bullets on it yet! Seriously though, I have to get the bullets on it and run it in my motor analyzer to see what the KV is. It isn’t labeled, and I can’t find the purchase details. So outside of it being a non-sensored TP 5670 I don’t even know what the heck it is. Outside of it being real, real, purty of course.

The V2 can accommodate with the new motor position. But I didn't want to suggest he go out and buy a Lim V2 since he just got the Infraction. ;-)
Well, let it be known that my head was securely lodged in my arse for a moment. I incorrectly thought we were talking Lims here. At the moment (after securing parts for my upcoming build) I’m so broke I can’t even pay attention.

I would wager a few dollars that the new Black 150 spektrum ESC can handle a bit more.
I'll take that wager. So you're betting that black color increases performance and I'm betting that 150A is 150A, no matter what color you paint it (not that you can paint electricity but, that's beside the point). How much did you say we're betting? One month's salary? You're on!

Does the stock 4074 2050kv motor pull 120a max?
I suspect it's capable of drawing more amperage than that. It's all a question of what you ask of it (and how much the power system can deliver of course).

I'm pretty sure it says 85+ on the box but I've been wrong before...once. The stock ESC can manage 00mph on a good day, but barely. The conditions and car prep have to be on point as well. But, as said, that's on the best of days. The motor can do that and more easily (Slow RC Mike hit 130mph on 3S with the Spektrum 4074 2050KV the other day). The ESC is the weak link in the stock electronics.

I mean the box on the motor ESC combo. It’s 8S. I can’t even sniff 100. Have this in the felony Vette. 98 on stock gearing. On 6s. Almost there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I mean the box on the motor ESC combo. It’s 8S.
Ah ok. I thought you were talking about the box the Infraction came in. From the pics it looked like the stock 6S setup. 8S on the Spektrum 160, 100mph shouldn't be a problem (aside from those dastardly trees and curbs that jump out at you while you're gunning it). :LOL: You got this Bud, I BEREEEVE IN YOU!!
1709069955210.png

Does the stock 4074 2050kv motor pull 120a max?
I have pulled a little over 370 amps with it before on a 120 mph run with the MMX8s esc.
I am sure with aggressive gearing you could get it to pull over 500a.

It is the ESC that limits your power.

I have pulled a little over 370 amps with it before on a 120 mph run with the MMX8s esc.
I am sure with aggressive gearing you could get it to pull over 500a.

It is the ESC that limits your power.

I suspect it's capable of drawing more amperage than that. It's all a question of what you ask of it (and how much the power system can deliver of course).
Ah. Got it! I wasn't sure.

Ah. Got it! I wasn't sure.
To expand on that.... If a motor is rated to 4500 watts you can put 9000 watts through it for a short duration like 2-8 seconds.

The larger motors like a TP4070 for example will be more efficient in converting that wattage into mechanical motion because of its size and larger rotor.
I know the TP4070 can handle 18kW for a few seconds, but the heat generated is pretty extreme.

On a small motor if you put tons of amperage through it there is a term called amperage saturation. The motor is not doing anything more or outputting more power despite throwing more amps at it from the ESC. At that saturation point the only thing you get more of is heat.

To expand on that.... If a motor is rated to 4500 watts you can put 9000 watts through it for a short duration like 2-8 seconds.

The larger motors like a TP4070 for example will be more efficient in converting that wattage into mechanical motion because of its size and larger rotor.
I know the TP4070 can handle 18kW for a few seconds, but the heat generated is pretty extreme.

On a small motor if you put tons of amperage through it there is a term called amperage saturation. The motor is not doing anything more or outputting more power despite throwing more amps at it from the ESC. At that saturation point the only thing you get more of is heat.
Thanks for the info! I know very little of the aftermarket motors. I almost got a TP4070 for my K6 build but not knowing very much, I went with a HW Max6 G2 4990 paired combo, since I didn't know what ESC would go with a TP of that size.

if wanting to use the stock motor location I would go here and pick either 3y 1460kv, 4y 1170kv, 7D 1188kv, or 6D 1356 kv. It will take 3-4 weeks.

If you are willing to reverse motor mount you have a lot of options.

TP 4070: 1700kv, 1520kv, 1400kv,
TP 4080CM: 2022kv
TP 5860: 1460kv, 1150kv, 1070kv (love this one in my limitless)
TP 5660: 1460kv, 1356kv, 1170kv,
TP 5670: 1180kv, 1270kv, 1400kv,
TP 5680: 1440kv, 1150kv, 1070kv,

Every single listed motor will work on 8s and is a viable option for bashing and or hitting some good speed numbers for someone not trying to go 200 mph.

Back