New member to the family. WLToys 144001. So much fun for under $100. Added post with home made LED mod for night driving to last page.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never noticed the WL Toys ball ends were larger. I just tried to put the LC Racing ball cups on and I couldn't get it on there. OMG how did you get the RPM ball cups on those balls? I left imprints in my fingers from trying to get those suckers on there
Brute force and ignorance. Hopefully I didn't damage the rpm rod ends.

Ended up using arrma ball ends. That was expensive. Got 8 and did the front end. I just got the big ones 12mm or something. Had to cut down the ones on the steering hubs.

That was all the LHS had for 4.3mm ball ends. Used TLR 4.8mm balls and rod ends for the rear.
Ended up using arrma ball ends. That was expensive. Got 8 and did the front end. I just got the big ones 12mm or something. Had to cut down the ones on the steering hubs.

That was all the LHS had for 4.3mm ball ends. Used TLR 4.8mm balls and rod ends for the rear.
16266617196891399335662995584588.jpg

I've been working on mine too.
I really want to know why WL Toys felt the need to use none standard sized bearings in this thing.
I replaced all of the axle carriers with LC Racing ones so I could run 4x8x3mm bearings, instead of those none standard sized 4x7x2mm open pieces of crap.
Removed every Phillips head screw and replaced with hex.
Added a Hobbywing 10BL60 esc.
Front LC Racing shock rods, pistons and springs.
Rear LC racing shock springs.
LC Racing a arms.
LC Racing rod ends and balls in the rear, I ran out of the longer sized ones and didn't feel like only replacing half of the front.
LC Racing wing.
LC Racing pill inserts.

20210718_224554.jpg
20210718_224607.jpg
20210718_224612.jpg
20210718_224621.jpg

To do list.
Buy a motor.
Buy LC Racing balls.
Buy replacement top plate.
Buy replacement shock towers.
Buy adjustable motor mount.
Buy Phat Bodies Atak body.

Last edited:
Dude. Serious. I have spent now 3 times the purchase cost on hop ups and repairs. So my 400 CAD WLtoys was a terrible decision financially but in terms of my enjoyment in making and breaking it? Priceless. It's just going to go on it's first run tonight after some pretty serious repair. I am pretty excited.

It's brought me lots of joy tinkering with it

I should maybe have moved on long time ago because as a pet project it has not been cheap. Initial purchase price: cheap. Stuffing all new electronics and keeping it running slash making it fit everything??

Well the journey has brought me lots of joy.

Is that a full out typhon wing on yours??

Mine is like a leftover chunk of mangled typhon wing.
Please send me part numbers for those hundred carriers.
*hub carriers*

And any advice or dimensions of driveshafts. Lengths, diameter blah. I need to replace mine eventually
They are so bent I cannot get them true ever.

Yup. So totally mangled a rear stub axle. The cup for the driveshaft is bent af.
M
So are the driveshafts tbh.

Ordered some front driveshafts to put in the rear.

Dude. Serious. I have spent now 3 times the purchase cost on hop ups and repairs. So my 400 CAD WLtoys was a terrible decision financially but in terms of my enjoyment in making and breaking it? Priceless. It's just going to go on it's first run tonight after some pretty serious repair. I am pretty excited.

It's brought me lots of joy tinkering with it

I should maybe have moved on long time ago because as a pet project it has not been cheap. Initial purchase price: cheap. Stuffing all new electronics and keeping it running slash making it fit everything??

Well the journey has brought me lots of joy.

Is that a full out typhon wing on yours??

Mine is like a leftover chunk of mangled typhon wing.
Please send me part numbers for those hundred carriers.
*hub carriers*

And any advice or dimensions of driveshafts. Lengths, diameter blah. I need to replace mine eventually
They are so bent I cannot get them true ever.
Lc Racing EMB-TGH wing.

Spindle set https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...th=171&product_id=1582&sort=p.price&order=ASC

Aluminum upgrade kit if you want to spend the $$ includes all of the hubs and spindles plus the aluminum steering bellcrank setup(not 100% sure if this is a direct fit or not you might need the Lc steering posts and steering rack bearings) https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...uct_id=1851&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100

The best driveshafts for these are not the cheapest option.

Other than that your cheapest option is to run dog bones all the way around.
It is kind of hard to see but there is an oring in there.

20210719_235223.jpg

Last edited:
The 3660 3300kv motor I put in here is too slow. So I'm going for the no cut 2445 5400kv brushless motor and 15T pinion. Pinion is coming via slow boat and I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the extra $2.00 to get the red motor instead of the blue one.

217535013_4648467058514181_3816472840553077208_n.jpg

20210728_011111.jpg

Is that a Castle Motor?
No its a X-TEAM 3650. Never used one so not sure how good it is. Seems good quality.

I do also have a China fake Castle CM3650 6900kV to try after this one. Going to change out the bearings first though.

got mine out and sheared a drive shaft universal in like 2 minutes. We did get 3 standing backflips in mind you.

The last one was actually 1 and ½ back flips. That's what killed the driveshaft no doubt.
Breaking a Big block WL144001
What body you running?

Wish I knew this so I wasn't still struggling with Philips.
I lied they are M2.5 not M2.6.

This is how mine sits now.
Amazon special aluminum shock towers and top deck.
Racerstar 2445 5400kv motor.
eBay special esc.
eBay special 3 wire servo.
Flysky GT2 rebrand radio,
Aliexpress 15t pinion.
eBay special steel spur.
LC Racing shocks and springs.
LC Racing turnbuckles and camber links.
LC Racing a arms.
LC Racing pills for the suspension mounts.
LC Racing hubs so I can use real bearings instead of the proprietary open ones from WL Toys.
LC Racing hinge pins.
Hex screws throughout the entire car.
Front diff filled with Bad Horsie diff locking grease.
Rear diff filled with a mix of Bad Horsie diff locking grease and Lucas Red N Tacky.
LC Racing wing and wing mount.
Tbone Racing front bumper.

I still need to replace the rubber steering rack with something better, might go with the LC Racing rack so I can again use normal non proprietary bearings. And I want to do this mod https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/wl-toys-144001-124018-124019-custom-driveshaft-upgrade-mod
20211003_172855.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back