Typhon New to Arrma, Have questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolarin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
Greetings! Recently picked up a Typhon as part of a package deal. Never owned an Arrma before. The seller didn't know a lot about it other than it was a Typhon. Is there an easy way to know "what" typhon it is? The rear input gear is broken, and it's missing the front bumper and skid plate, so I'm looking for parts. Thanks!

Greetings! Recently picked up a Typhon as part of a package deal. Never owned an Arrma before. The seller didn't know a lot about it other than it was a Typhon. Is there an easy way to know "what" typhon it is? The rear input gear is broken, and it's missing the front bumper and skid plate, so I'm looking for parts. Thanks!
Hello and Welcome!

There is a paper sticker inside the rigs, but it wears away quickly, which would have the model number. Most of mine wears off quickly.

Go to https://www.horizonhobby.com/ site, search for Typhon, and look at the different models. If you can identify yours, you can download the part view to get the information on that model.

Also, post some pics there so we can help identify the model.

If your model is current, buy parts here... https://jennysrc.com/
Much cheaper and you get more for the $$$

Throw up some pics of the rig in question.
Include several angles and interior shots so we can better help you figure out the model/version.

Well, this is the current state of the rig. It's pretty filthy and I needed to tear it down to fix a few things anyway. It has a Castle brushless motor and a Hobbywing OEM ESC out of a Redcat something or other. Don't laugh, I got a killer deal on it. Everything works except the rear diff.
PXL_20230821_020229243.jpg

Well, this is the current state of the rig. It's pretty filthy and I needed to tear it down to fix a few things anyway. It has a Castle brushless motor and a Hobbywing OEM ESC out of a Redcat something or other. Don't laugh, I got a killer deal on it. Everything works except the rear diff. View attachment 318318

It's a Typhon 3S

I don't see the power module on the box so can't say how good the spur is...

Take a look at JennysRC.com to find all the OEM replacement parts for cheap..

As long as there's no cracks in the chassis and no missing tooths on the diffs ,it should be drivable once you get it put back together.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for all the info and the JennysRC.com recommendation. I'm looking forward to get it going. I'll have to post it up when it's done.

The green body (if it's original to the chassis) is actually the Typhon MEGA 550 brushed model. It is common for people to slap in a budget brushless system but the 48P spur gear and single slipper clutch in them don't tolerate power over a 2S LiPo.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ga-550-brushed-buggy-rtr-green/ARA4206V3.html

Fortunately swapping parts to the 3S transmission is dead easy as it literally slaps right in. The 3S transmission has a much heavier duty 0.8MOD spur gear with 3 shoe pack clutch that tolerates 3s power MUCH better. Horizon even has a complete module for it that will slap right into your truck:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/metal-slipper-power-module-boost-box/ARA210013.html

The 3S trucks also came with the red anodized motor mount plate, where the brushed models use a plastic one. Otherwise, the Typhon MEGA 550 and the Typhon 3S BLX models are identical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back