Limitless New to building custom speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ageguy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello again all. I finally got my motor mount issue on my limitless V1 figured out. Now on to the next one. I had bought several different pinion gears from 28-39T. Went to install them and now with the new V2 mount and the 56mm plate none of them will line up and mesh with the spool. They are to far away. I still have the stock spool in it. Is there anywhere you guys would suggest to look for a new spool gear in a larger size so I can get my piñon to mesh? I think I have the 39T spool gear so need something much bigger. Checked the Arrma site but biggest is the 39T. Thanks.

What motor and KV do you have? Depending on the RPMs the motor will output that may not be a good option for speed running.

So if I follow you correctly you have a 39t spur gear and the 39t pinion wont reach it?

How fast are you planning on going? A different motor mount may be necessary or possibly larger gears.

Last edited:
With the stock motor plate and the 4990 (1650kv) I had to start with a 32t. I did make a 31 fit but I had to mod the motor plate some to make it mesh with the 39 stock spur. Do you think that the 56 motor plate moves the motor over that much?

Wow that is a great price. I was paying $20 per gear with Saga (although the quality may not be as good as Saga...)
I believe I have these RCP pinions in every car I own, which is a lot. Even my big 8S cars.

I think they’re rebranded Surpass pinions, which is a good thing. I haven’t had a single pinion strip or fail, and have only had a couple wear down and need replacement.

They’re the no-brainer choice IMO.

I believe I have these RCP pinions in every car I own, which is a lot. Even my big 8S cars.

I think they’re rebranded Surpass pinions, which is a good thing. I haven’t had a single pinion strip or fail, and have only had a couple wear down and need replacement.

They’re the no-brainer choice IMO.
too bad I have already spent $400 on pinons with Saga over the past years.

I have bought the HOBBYWING 5690G2 along with a max 5 ESC. I had to install the V2 limitless motor mount to be able to mount the new motor. I am not 100%sure I have the 39T spur just guessing looking at stock replacement parts on Arrma website. I’ll get some pictures tonight when I get off work. Thanks

I am still missing data on the motor plate you have but some useful info none the less. Id guess you need to be at 72+teeth total with the bigger motor.

25mm spacing motors = 40mm to 49mm cans usually
30mm = 56 and 58mm usually

Arrma 6s Limitless V1 came 34 + 27 = 61 (for 25mm spacing motors)
Arrma 6s with 30mm spacing pattern = ?
PPS short adjuster screw 25mm bolt pattern allows = 60 -78t
PPS long adjuster screw 25mm bolt pattern allows = 71-91t
PPS short adjuster screw 30mm bolt pattern allows = 65-82t
PPS long adjuster screw 30mm bolt pattern allows = 76-96t
Scorched Rotolock 25mm bolt pattern allows = 62 to 88t
Scorched Rotolock 30mm bolt pattern allows = 72 to 88t

Last edited:
I have the 30mm and the highlighted motor mount plate and the stock V2 limitless mount if that helps. I did look at ops but they are down right now moving so not sure when they will be back up so I went this route .

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

I still have a lot of space under the spit gear to go with a bigger one. Just trying to find one is the fun part. I am not looking to set any speed records just looking to break the 100mph mark is all.

I have the 30mm and the highlighted motor mount plate and the stock V2 limitless mount if that helps. I did look at ops but they are down right now moving so not sure when they will be back up so I went this route .

View attachment 366742

View attachment 366743

View attachment 366744

I still have a lot of space under the spit gear to go with a bigger one. Just trying to find one is the fun part. I am not looking to set any speed records just looking to break the 100mph mark is all.
I plugged your setup in my gearing calculator.
3.3 diff / transmission ratio
39/39 gearing
1250kv motor
voltage at 27v (8s run accounting for some voltage sag)
100mm tires
This would put you at 100-125 mph range.

v2 has 2.80 diffs. does the V1 have 3.30?

Ok so I was off a little my biggest piñon is the 37T and as you can see it does not reach. Am I better off just getting bigger piñon and leaving the spit alone or should I find a bigger spur?

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0390.jpeg

v2 has 2.80 diffs. does the V1 have 3.30?
Correct.

Ok so I was off a little my biggest piñon is the 37T and as you can see it does not reach. Am I better off just getting bigger piñon and leaving the spit alone or should I find a bigger spur?

View attachment 366760

View attachment 366761

You likely need a bigger spur. If you are larger on the pinon than the spur then it will start to be geared for the 120-150 mph range which will just make the system work harder.

Posted above was a link to well priced gears. You will need the 8mm bore Mod 1 sizes.

I only see piñons as an option. Is there anywhere else you might suggest? Thanks for all the help

I only see piñons as an option. Is there anywhere else you might suggest? Thanks for all the help
Pinions are the same as a spur. Just make sure you get the 8mm bore for use as the spool's spur gear.
This is why I purchase motors with an 8mm shaft because then you can swap gears between the spool and motor ;)
Your 5690G2 has 8mm
1715894489344.png

Back