Senton New to RC - Senton 3S BLX or Typhon 3S BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th.son

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hi,

Looking to get my first RC truck and have settled on Arrma as a manufacturer.
I plan to run just around my neighborhood. There is a park not to far that has some gravel walk ways and large concrete slabs, grass, etc to drive on.
I have been looking mainly at the Senton 3S BLX, but recently came across the Typhon 3S BLX.

I understand that these are different vehicle types so it is hard to directly compare them.
Purely from an aesthetic point of view I prefer the look of the Senton.

I have some questions/observations regarding the Senton:
  • I've seen some videos of the Senton being driven in a skate park and could hear it bottoming out when landing. Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal for all SCTs? Is it something that could be resolved with adjustments to the shocks? Is it something I should be worried about?
  • Does the Senton have a tendency to wheelie? I've seen videos where it seems to stay stuck to the ground. Then others where all it does is wheelie. Curious about what others have experienced.
Speed
  • The two vehicles seem to be close in comparison.
Control/stability
  • I understand that buggy's have better control then SCTs? Am I correct in my understanding?
  • Are there characteristics about each different truck worth noting that might sway a person from one to the other?
I am still leaning towards towards the Senton, but I am just curious if there is any reason why someone might go with the Typhon instead?

Sorry if any of these questions/comments seem stupid. I only just started looking into RC and don't have any experience to go on.

Cheers

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The bottoming out, or chassis slap, is perfectly normal. It prevents unneeded stress on the suspension system when landing from a jump.
You'll learn to love the sound it makes after a big jump.
The wheelies depend on what diff fluid you put in your diffs, the pinion on your motor, shock fluid weight and so on. You can make most Arrmas wheelie or not depending what you do with them.

Different people are going to have different opinions on what's better or what you should buy. I say, get what you like and then customize it to ride however you want.

The Senton will be a little bit more forgiving during your learning curve. It has bumpers and a body to help distribute the impact forces from your crashes resulting in fewer broken parts. I personally look at the typhon as a more advanced car for those who are more finesse and speed oriented. Senton is a great beginner basher. just MY thoughts... your results may very. ENJOY!!!

Last edited:
Hi,

Looking to get my first RC truck and have settled on Arrma as a manufacturer.
I plan to run just around my neighborhood. There is a park not to far that has some gravel walk ways and large concrete slabs, grass, etc to drive on.
I have been looking mainly at the Senton 3S BLX, but recently came across the Typhon 3S BLX.

I understand that these are different vehicle types so it is hard to directly compare them.
Purely from an aesthetic point of view I prefer the look of the Senton.

I have some questions/observations regarding the Senton:
  • I've seen some videos of the Senton being driven in a skate park and could hear it bottoming out when landing. Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal for all SCTs? Is it something that could be resolved with adjustments to the shocks? Is it something I should be worried about?
  • Does the Senton have a tendency to wheelie? I've seen videos where it seems to stay stuck to the ground. Then others where all it does is wheelie. Curious about what others have experienced.
Speed
  • The two vehicles seem to be close in comparison.
Control/stability
  • I understand that buggy's have better control then SCTs? Am I correct in my understanding?
  • Are there characteristics about each different truck worth noting that might sway a person from one to the other?
I am still leaning towards towards the Senton, but I am just curious if there is any reason why someone might go with the Typhon instead?

Sorry if any of these questions/comments seem stupid. I only just started looking into RC and don't have any experience to go on.

Cheers

In my opinion the Typhon is better. The Senton seems to roll over a lot. My buddy had one and sold it a few weeks later.

I'm 44 years old. I've been a buggy guy since the 80's. I bought a typhon 3s. I'd like to pick up a senton sometime. It's all personal preference IMO.

All the Arrma rigs are great. When buying a new Arrma you are in a good position of NOT trying to make a bad decision as there isn't one. My suggestion is to simply buy the one you can afford and you like the look of best. Pretty simplistic but experience says that whatever you buy, you will want to buy another and another over time anyway. If your budget allows, then I would recommend you go with one of the 6S models. If you aren't sure about handling the more powerful vehicle, then you can always "detune" it so to speak with lower punch settings and 4S battery until you get the hang of it. That way you will have a vehicle that will grow as your expertise and confidence grows without buying another vehicle.....that's my opinion anyway

In my opinion the Typhon is better. The Senton seems to roll over a lot. My buddy had one and sold it a few weeks later.
Idk my Typhon traction rolls so easily.

Get a big rock crewcab
Do you happen to be on the Facebook Arrma page?? I used to see this all the time. Someone asks if they should get either A or B and most people tell them to get C instead.

As far as the OP's questions:

Don't worry about either truck bottoming out on big jumps. They are designed to do that. No adjustment to the stock shocks will change that with the exception of heavier shock oil but the stock shocks are perfect for the trucks with the exception that they tend to leak.

Wheelies will depend on grip. I had Badlands on mine and they get excellent traction on grass and dirt. It would wheelie. It wouldn't on pavement. SCT's really shouldn't be wheelie machines though.

As far as handling, my 3s Senton handled fine. I don't own a 3s Typhon but it does have longer arms thus making it wider. In theory this would help with traction roll. My 6s Typhon is my best handling truck but it is not a fair comparison. Completely different setup.

One thing I don't like about SCT's is the giant body over a small chassis. At speed they tend to catch air underneath and lift off the ground. I sailed mine into a tree trying to go fast, lol. They don't rotate really well in the air either due to the small wheels. I was able to backflip mine but it wasn't easy. I can't speak to the rotation of a 3s Typhon but I can all but guarantee it will do regular jumps better. Again, the Senton body acts like a parachute.

At the end of the day go with what you like the looks of best. You can always convert one to the other without a ton of work. Good luck!

Do you happen to be on the Facebook Arrma page?? I used to see this all the time. Someone asks if they should get either A or B and most people tell them to get C instead.

As far as the OP's questions:

Don't worry about either truck bottoming out on big jumps. They are designed to do that. No adjustment to the stock shocks will change that with the exception of heavier shock oil but the stock shocks are perfect for the trucks with the exception that they tend to leak.

Wheelies will depend on grip. I had Badlands on mine and they get excellent traction on grass and dirt. It would wheelie. It wouldn't on pavement. SCT's really shouldn't be wheelie machines though.

As far as handling, my 3s Senton handled fine. I don't own a 3s Typhon but it does have longer arms thus making it wider. In theory this would help with traction roll. My 6s Typhon is my best handling truck but it is not a fair comparison. Completely different setup.

One thing I don't like about SCT's is the giant body over a small chassis. At speed they tend to catch air underneath and lift off the ground. I sailed mine into a tree trying to go fast, lol. They don't rotate really well in the air either due to the small wheels. I was able to backflip mine but it wasn't easy. I can't speak to the rotation of a 3s Typhon but I can all but guarantee it will do regular jumps better. Again, the Senton body acts like a parachute.

At the end of the day go with what you like the looks of best. You can always convert one to the other without a ton of work. Good luck!
That's a common problem with short course trucks. The body turns into a parachute at speed.

You get a short course truck if you want a short course truck because of the looks.

They won't drive as good as a buggy or truggy or whatever due to parachuting and all that extra weight.

But if you want something realistic(ish) looking and still very fast, that's about the only choice.

One good thing is that the body, rollcage and big bumpers offer extra protection for the moving parts!

With the 3s Senton and Typhon, understand they are 95% the same car. Wheels / tires / body/ bumpers/ axles / arms are the only difference. If you don't plan on big jumps, the Senton may be better, for the bumpers. If you jump, the Typhon will fly better (SCT body acts like a parachute).

With the 3s Senton and Typhon, understand they are 95% the same car. Wheels / tires / body/ bumpers/ axles / arms are the only difference. If you don't plan on big jumps, the Senton may be better, for the bumpers. If you jump, the Typhon will fly better (SCT body acts like a parachute).
I thought the axles were the same and it was the steering links and tie rods that were longer?

The wheel axles are different, as the Typhon uses 17mm hex. The driveshafts (and everything inside the wheel u-joints) are the same.
Oh the stub axles yeah. Sorry gets confusing sometimes because so many people refer to the driveshafts as axles.

Hey,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome and friendly advice!!

After reading over the comments it seems more or less it comes down to personal preference. I decided to go with the Senton. The Senton was the truck that originally caught my eye so I figured I would go with it.

The parachuting effect you guys mention sounds like a bit of a bummer. Will have to learn to make due.

I don't think I am going to send it off of any big jumps, at least not in the beginning. I am hoping I can spend more time driving it then fixing it ?

Is there a break in period of RC vehicles? In one video I was watching one guy was saying he likes to drive his cars at half power for the first little bit to break the motors in. Is this a thing?

Thank you again for everyone's feedback though it is really awesome!

Cheers ?

Hey,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome and friendly advice!!

After reading over the comments it seems more or less it comes down to personal preference. I decided to go with the Senton. The Senton was the truck that originally caught my eye so I figured I would go with it.

The parachuting effect you guys mention sounds like a bit of a bummer. Will have to learn to make due.

I don't think I am going to send it off of any big jumps, at least not in the beginning. I am hoping I can spend more time driving it then fixing it ?

Is there a break in period of RC vehicles? In one video I was watching one guy was saying he likes to drive his cars at half power for the first little bit to break the motors in. Is this a thing?

Thank you again for everyone's feedback though it is really awesome!

Cheers ?
He was probably driving a brushed vehicle, with those you should break in the motor, basically you drive around slowly in figure 8's for the first battery pack.
Brushless motors do not need to be broken in. So you can just charge the battery and send it.

Thank you for the feedback. I am sort of glad I don't as I am not sure I could resist going full out.

I was planning to start out with only one battery.

The gensacearespammers Li-Po 50C 5300mAh looks like a decent battery and is a 3S which should give me plenty of power.
Do you guys think a single battery is enough?

Was thinking of pairing this battery with a iSDT T6 Lite 650W DC Charger or iSDT Q6 Lite 200W DC Charger. I understand that with a DC charger I will need an external power supply. Are DC chargers are a good choice? Or should I stick with AC?

Sorry, I've sort of expanded this thread beyond it's original intent. Hope this is okay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back