Notorious Notorious- binding sound/ no loss of power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manley00

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Just built a Notorious. Drove the first day everything ran fine. 2nd day the car is making a binding noise. First thought was diffs.

Removed front diff and ran- noise stopped. Replaced that diff with another functioning and noise still persisted.

Replaced center diff with functioning center diff from another. Noise still persists.

When low speed there is no noise- under throttle there is what can only be described as a cracking noise/ think baseball card in tire spokes but a higher pitch.

I feel like something has loosened somewhere. It can’t be internally in the diffs because they have all been swapped from a working Kraton. Like I said- when removing the front differential the car did not make the noise any longer.

Any thoughts? Anything someone has ran into before?

Take a video of the noise. Does it happen when you roll it by hand with the power off?

Honestly- the noise isn’t prevalent in the video over the rest of the audible rc noises. Someone here recently posted a video that sounded exactly like it- all thought their issue was a differential.

Noise is not there by hand or all powered off. Only under slight to significant throttle. Car seems to function fine. All though noise is obviously not good. All driveline seems to be secure. Input shafts loom correct on both.

Is it possibly a bearing?

Is your front center driveshaft bent? A wire hitting it possibly? Did you change the entire bulkhead or just the diff itself?

Sounds like diffs to me, but I don’t own that rig to be an expert here. Others will chime in.

Output gear is my closest guess at this point. What’s odd is I swapped diffs from this rig to a Kraton and no issues in the diff. Vice Versa also. I’ll remove bulkhead and swap to see if it may be there. So odd- one day working no noise- next day- noise.

The sound went away when removing the front diff from the equation. Would that be audible the entire time or only under throttle?
I appreciate ALL the help!!!

Check your front pinion gear. It can look ok until you put it next to a new one and realize how worn it can get.

Broke down the bulkhead... what a pain in the arse! Changed the bearing out. Moved the front chassis brace a little. No more sound. I hate when I fix things and have no clue what it was.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back