Notorious Notorious throttle only backwards/calibration won’t work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshdyrect

Reaction score
Hey, I just picked up a notorious and when powering it up, the steering works and reverse works but no forward throttle. I read that it may need calibration so I tried that. It goes into calibration mode, does 1 beep for neutral but when I pull the throttle and try to calibrate the second beep nothing happens. I’ve tried it 2-3 times with no luck. I’m not sure what’s supposed to be plugged into the transmitter so I took a pic. Esc is plugged into the batt/prog. Let me know if you have any ideas and thanks in advance!

IMG_2951.jpeg

Make sure the throttle trim on the radio is not zeroed out. If it’s set too low the calibration won’t work sometimes.

Hey, I just picked up a notorious and when powering it up, the steering works and reverse works but no forward throttle. I read that it may need calibration so I tried that. It goes into calibration mode, does 1 beep for neutral but when I pull the throttle and try to calibrate the second beep nothing happens. I’ve tried it 2-3 times with no luck. I’m not sure what’s supposed to be plugged into the transmitter so I took a pic. Esc is plugged into the batt/prog. Let me know if you have any ideas and thanks in advance!

View attachment 302954
The ESC needs to be plugged into the THR channel, not the batt/prog channel. The batt/prog channel is only for running nitro cars, and for programming certain ESC's.

Yes, ESC is always on THR/channel 2. Servo is always channel 1. The old adage: One to turn, Two to burn!
And welcome to the forum!

1 to bend
2 to send!

Thanks for the responses, and hello! I plugged it into the THR channel and it’s still entering calibration mode, 1st beep after neutral calibration but then won’t beep twice when holding down the throttle. Not sure what to try next.
This is a used notorious btw. I think I’m going to try a factory reset next.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, and hello! I plugged it into the THR channel and it’s still entering calibration mode, 1st beep after neutral calibration but then won’t beep twice when holding down the throttle. Not sure what to try next.
This is a used notorious btw. I think I’m going to try a factory reset next.
What ESC is in it? I just realized you said it is used, which means the ESC could be a replacement, and thats why it wont calibrate. Different ESC's have different setup procedures. Even if it is the stock one, some of them can be beyond tricky using the set button sometimes. I have had some where, it doesn't calibrate, go through the procedure 3 or 4 times, then, all of a sudden, it just magically works. I have also had some that acted like they were good, but werent. Another thought, but, is it plugged into the ESC the correct way? I cant tell from the pic what color wires are on the ESC and servo plugs.

Are the motor wires connected correctly? A-B-C on the ESC need to be connected to A-B-C on the motor. Possible it is in FWD/BRK mode only, and you have the motor wires incorrectly plugged into the motor. That would also cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Are the motor wires connected correctly? A-B-C on the ESC need to be connected to A-B-C on the motor.
I was always under the impression that, for brushless, they can be connected in any configuration, and, most manuals state that if the motor runs backwards when connected, just swap two of the motor wires around.
Possible it is in FWD/BRK mode only, and you have the motor wires incorrectly plugged into the motor. That would also cause the symptoms you are seeing.

I was always under the impression that, for brushless, they can be connected in any configuration, and, most manuals state that if the motor runs backwards when connected, just swap two of the motor wires around.
Yes, the orientation of the motor cables only matters on sensored motors.

Yeah, that's my point. If you have A-B-C connected to B-A-C and you have FWD/BRK only set in your ESC, you will get exactly the behavior the OP sees. But nobody mentioned that to him/her.

ABC connected to BCA or CBA will work, so you don't need exactly the ABC->ABC combo, but it's the easiest way to check if you have the motor wires out of order.

Well to prove how much of a noob I am lol all it took was to bind it to the remote again and it calibrated fine and everything works. These things rip! Thanks for the advice everyone

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back