Typhon One session by the saltwater and now this is happening...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aliexpress. A bit of silicon glue to where the wires enter the box and works quite well.

View attachment 368335

That's a traxxas design. They use foam between the small top plate and wires with grease to keep water out. The bigger part uses a rubber seal.

It'd work.

I was literally just looking at that exact link. haha.

so here's my problem..I live by the beach...I live in Florida...there's sand literally everywhere....is this something I'm going to have to do all of the time?

I've driven in this same spot a bunch of times without any issue..but I think I might have ripped through some wet sand and that's what did it...you can see that it's literally rusty everywhere in the span on 10 hours...haha...

when these get caked up with dirt/sand/whatever like that, what's the protocol for cleaning it? I use compressed air but that's not always enough....I tried to lightly use my sink to rinse the sand from the A arms, but it's hard to get in there without hitting everhting..

also..does anyone know what that little metal looking bent ring is? what is it and where did ti come from? It looks like it might have come out of that hub
What area?

Like everyone else said, sand and salt water are the worst. Good cleaning recommendations are already above.

Motor bearings are sensitive, don't forget about those.

I use plastic bags in my boats or party ballons. You can always go overboard but they are proven to work.

awesome...thanks guys..this is all very helpful....I didn't realize you could just hose them down like that. I do that to my cheap Hyper Go Chinese ones because they are oddly bullet proof and cheap enough where I don't care..haha..I just assumed that water could potentially get in the motors or differentials, but then again I'm guessing these are supposed to be sealed pretty good like on a full scale automobiles..I know way more about those...the RC cars are new to me.

I don't think that bearing/seal was on it's way out. I bought this car brand new in March and really haven't used it all that much yet. The past 2 weeks are the first times I've really run it "hard." Maybe it was just a factory defect or something.

In the past i've used Silicone Lube on my other RC cars (and my actual cars/motorcycle) because Silicone lube is pretty much safe on EVERYTHING. I ordered some of that dry WD40 so I'll start using that more regularly. I dialed back on the Silicone lube because I kept reading that lube would attracts more dirt/sand. The dry stuff might be the perfect remedy.

As far as that bearing that's missing the seal and full of sand, I WD40's the ever living poop out of it last night and today I ran the car for 20 minutes in the dirt and it rotates freely and sounds fine. haha. Obviously that bearing is going to slowly come apart at some point....once it gets bad, I'm just going to be order the Kraton hubs from Jenny RC and do the truggy conversion that way. Right now I just have 13mm hub extenders....once these bearings are totally cruddy and shot, I'll buy the Kraton hubs and start from scratch....then when those get crappy, I'll try the better bearings mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm also going to completely avoid any kind of mildly wet sand going forward. What a mess.

with that dry WD40, can I pretty much hit any metal on this car with that? bearings, pivit ball, axles, hinge pins, etc....I figure it can't help and it may help prolong the rust issue. Living by the ocean, the rust will be inevitable, but I can at least try to prevent it as long as I can.

with that dry WD40, can I pretty much hit any metal on this car with that? bearings, pivit ball, axles, hinge pins, etc....I figure it can't help and it may help prolong the rust issue. Living by the ocean, the rust will be inevitable, but I can at least try to prevent it as long as I can.

Yes.
You can use it on any moving parts of the RC.
That's how I use it on my rigs.
👍

I went ahead and ordered everything from Jenny's RC to properly truggify my Typhon.....I needed new hubs anyways so I got those, the axles, 17mm kraton hex's, and I also grabbed the screw/nut/bolt kit because why not...

Question:

How tight are you supposed to put those red caps with the 5mm hex on the front hubs? I tightened them tight like I figured you should and then I couldn't steer my car..haha..I loosened them back up and now it's good. Where exactly should I have them tightened to? They weren't exactly tight when I removed the original ones.

How tight are you supposed to put those red caps with the 5mm hex on the front hubs? I tightened them tight like I figured you should and then I couldn't steer my car..haha..I loosened them back up and now it's good. Where exactly should I have them tightened to? They weren't exactly tight when I removed the original ones.
I find it best to remove the tires and the screw connecting your servo linkage. Then adjust them like @jkflow said. No slop around the pillow balls. Then grab the blocks with your hands and turn them back and forth making sure there is no binding and they move nice and easy.

Ok that’s pretty much what I did. I made sure they were screwed into the hubs enough that the little seal on them was doing it’s job, and basically just tight enough that things weren’t sloppy or un-moveable and enough where I didn’t think they were gonna work themselves out. I’ll keep an eye on them after each run.

49BA21F4-D269-4E43-B6AC-9A9ADAD1B4BB.jpeg
218A009F-1FAA-4D44-B315-DCC51F09BF8A.jpeg

Hey guys. I’m assuming there are supposed to be screws in these holes? I just Noticed this while working on it

In the top pic you are missing a steering post screw. Kind of a yikes situation. They generally require heat to remove. I am guessing someone forgot to put it back in. The bottom pic is ok (I think).

I am not very familiar with the Typhon but I think for the posts you'll need these:

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/flat-head-screw-4x12mm-4/ARAC9891.html

Someone can please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I just bought a hardware kit from Jenny's RC so I probably have whatever is missing in that bag somewhere...I just wanted to make sure there was something supposed to be there before I start trying to fit bolts in there...

I just bought a hardware kit from Jenny's RC so I probably have whatever is missing in that bag somewhere...I just wanted to make sure there was something supposed to be there before I start trying to fit bolts in there...
If you have any blue Loctite, it's advisable to put some on those two steering post screws. It looks to me like the one that is in could be tightened a tad more. But I would remove it first, clean it if needed, add the Loctite, and put it back in. (y)

I def have some. I learned real quick how much I needed blue lock tight when I got into this hobby. Haha.

Back