Notorious Overheating issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westfield81062

Fairly New Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hello everyone. I need your help. I have a 6s notorious with the blx185 system. This is my first arrma. I've ran it twice and both times it went into thermal shutdown within 10 minutes. Everything is stock including the pinion. I ran it on hard pack dirt... A baseball diamond. I'm running it on 2 venom, 3s 5000mah 35c batteries. Also... Would a castle 2200 kv with a Mamba monster X ESC be any better? I already have an extra set. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You may need to try some different batteries. I would recommend at least 5000mah 50C. Have you checked the temps when it shuts down? You should't be going into thermal shutdown that fast with a stock pinion unless it's 110 degrees outside and your running full throttle constantly. :unsure: The Castle 2200 would have more heat problems being a higher kv. Unless you ran on 4s or dropped pinion size or ran smaller tires. Hope you get it sorted man!:cool:?

F if I know- I only *once* was ever able to run my car for more than 10-15 minutes without breaking last night.

And yea- it shut down. Thought maybe it was lvc, but the charger said the battery had 3.72-3 per cell left.

Still consider yourself lucky- today I took the truck out and a front tire tore itself apart the first time I hit the throttle- maybe 15 seconds into my day at most...

Bust out your temp gun next time you run and I bet those Venom batteries will be hot. Everything I have heard about Venom batteries has been bad, I made the mistake of trying some of their Bias line of lipos what a joke those were(that was before I did some research), this happened after about 5-6 runs....

My Hobbywing Max8 and 2200kv motor on a 14t pinion get a bit toasty after about 20-30 min of running on a 70* day.

7ZyZbG5.jpg

I too, suspect the batteries. I had a couple of venoms and had not so good luck with them. I did have an issue with my old BLX that was pretty strange. If my punch level was under 6, it would shut down prematurely, if it was 6 or higher it didn't do it. Since moved on from the BLX. Not sure what caused that problem.

You may need to try some different batteries. I would recommend at least 5000mah 50C. Have you checked the temps when it shuts down? You should't be going into thermal shutdown that fast with a stock pinion unless it's 110 degrees outside and your running full throttle constantly. :unsure: The Castle 2200 would have more heat problems being a higher kv. Unless you ran on 4s or dropped pinion size or ran smaller tires. Hope you get it sorted man!:cool:?
Thanks for the help. I was running it hard but I never had this problem with other rcs.
Bust out your temp gun next time you run and I bet those Venom batteries will be hot. Everything I have heard about Venom batteries has been bad, I made the mistake of trying some of their Bias line of lipos what a joke those were(that was before I did some research), this happened after about 5-6 runs....

My Hobbywing Max8 and 2200kv motor on a 14t pinion get a bit toasty after about 20-30 min of running on a 70* day.

View attachment 37365
Yeah. Venoms customer service sucks too. Never again. The company who sold me the truck recommended these batteries. I wish I lived near the company so I could go there and complain. Over the phone they are like ... whatever. Oh well.. live and learn. I'll buy some new batteries. Thank you for your help

Last edited:
I would suggest it’s the batteries. They are just about the minimum C rating that Arrma recommend and if they aren’t fairly new and in good condition the voltage will drop under load causing the car to think the batteries have run out not thermal cut out. If you switch that car off then back on again it will reset the LVC and run again for another minute.

I would suggest it’s the batteries. They are just about the minimum C rating that Arrma recommend and if they aren’t fairly new and in good condition the voltage will drop under load causing the car to think the batteries have run out not thermal cut out. If you switch that car off then back on again it will reset the LVC and run again for another minute.
Thanks for your help. From what everyone is saying... It's the batteries. Which sucks because these are the batteries the company I bought it from said to use. Ah well.... Now I have two batteries to use for something else!!

Thanks for your help. From what everyone is saying... It's the batteries. Which sucks because these are the batteries the company I bought it from said to use. Ah well.... Now I have two batteries to use for something else!!
I would suggest looking at buying two new 3S packs that are significantly higher C rating. Minimum of 50C is recommend I would say.

You could also buy a single 6S battery which will be simpler and have less to go wrong.

Make sure to buy a decent brand such as a Turnigy, Gens-Ace or SMC.

I just ran my outcast in grass yesterday for 20 minutes straight. Tall grass. I have a hobbywing 50mm motor fan/heat sink and I was running hobbystar 6200mah 50C packs. I did have to change my pinion from 14 to a 13T as I was overheating the esc on my previous bash. I was surprised it didn't overheat yesterday as the grass at the place I was running was taller than I'd have liked.

I also run HRB 5000mah 3S 50C packs, but only get 15 minutes on average run time with a pair. The 6200mah Hobbystars get me closer to 19-20 minutes.

Hate to hear that about your lipos. Hopefully they'll work out cooler in a 3s truck down the road.

New to this site, been reading this type of thread for hours now as my granite 3S blx is doing this same thing, shutting down when running not even that hard. I have two brand new HOOVO 3S 80C batteries. When i shut it off and back on again i get another few mins. Mine doesn't stop moving completely, it acts like low battery, runs really slow then if i keep driving slow it will shut off.

F if I know- I only *once* was ever able to run my car for more than 10-15 minutes without breaking last night.

And yea- it shut down. Thought maybe it was lvc, but the charger said the battery had 3.72-3 per cell left.

Still consider yourself lucky- today I took the truck out and a front tire tore itself apart the first time I hit the throttle- maybe 15 seconds into my day at most...
You should try not wrecking the hell out of your car then?

Goodness, 2019, quite a thread revival!

New to this site, been reading this type of thread for hours now as my granite 3S blx is doing this same thing, shutting down when running not even that hard. I have two brand new HOOVO 3S 80C batteries. When i shut it off and back on again i get another few mins. Mine doesn't stop moving completely, it acts like low battery, runs really slow then if i keep driving slow it will shut off.

Yeah, that sounds like LVC. What voltages are your batteries at when it cuts out?

You should try not wrecking the hell out of your car then?

Been a year since he was last seen on the forum, wonder if he will respond haha.

My apologies guys, didn't realize the thread was that old lol. Since we're here, any advice? My batteries are at 4.08 per cell when it happened.

Goodness, 2019, quite a thread revival!

Yeah, that sounds like LVC. What voltages are your batteries at when it cuts out?

Been a year since he was last seen on the forum, wonder if he will respond haha.
Oh, woooppps...I should pay more attention to the dates....

My apologies guys, didn't realize the thread was that old lol. Since we're here, any advice? My batteries are at 4.08 per cell when it happened.
Did you make sure the ESC is set to LIPO and not NIMH? If you can snag another battery from a friend try a different one and see what happens. Your ESC sounds like it thinks the batteries are too low so it's going onto LVC obviously way too early. Once you turn it off and back on again you can run them down right?

Did you make sure the ESC is set to LIPO and not NIMH? If you can snag another battery from a friend try a different one and see what happens. Your ESC sounds like it thinks the batteries are too low so it's going onto LVC obviously way too early. Once you turn it off and back on again you can run them down right?
I tried 3 diff batteries. I'll check the esc and see if it's set up right. If I shut it down then back on i get another min or two then it does it again.

I tried 3 diff batteries. I'll check the esc and see if it's set up right. If I shut it down then back on i get another min or two then it does it again.
Ouch ok yea sounds like it could be a bad esc then. If you're settings are set to LIPO then I would think bad esc. Horizon Hobby will warranty it out for a new one IF they have any in stock. You might get lucky and get a new Firma esc from the Vorteks ;)

Ouch ok yea sounds like it could be a bad esc then. If you're settings are set to LIPO then I would think bad esc. Horizon Hobby will warranty it out for a new one IF they have any in stock. You might get lucky and get a new Firma esc from the Vorteks ;)
I bought the truck off a guy about a month ago, it's from horizon hobby but i don't have a receipt. It was barely used when i got it. Will they still warranty it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back