Picked up a used Losi Super Rock Rey, any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked one of these up during the Horizon sale and it’s a lot of fun, but the upper suspension arm snapped. *sigh*

Hey man. Can you please share the details? Where exactly did you trim?
So on the side of the battery tray that the wires go out of there is a extra wall of plastic that isn't really needed. The red line shows what I cut off and yes I cut off the upper mount for the 2 screws going into the box. You have 2 screws going in the bottom through the chassis that hold the battery tray down just fine. But cutting that wall out gave me just enough room for the batteries
IMG_0046.png

So on the side of the battery tray that the wires go out of there is a extra wall of plastic that isn't really needed. The red line shows what I cut off and yes I cut off the upper mount for the 2 screws going into the box. You have 2 screws going in the bottom through the chassis that hold the battery tray down just fine. But cutting that wall out gave me just enough room for the batteries
View attachment 343668
Awesome. Thanks man. I just bought one and am learning as much as I can.

I returned mine after like 2 weeks after my original post back in March 2023. Learned my lesson haha but I hope you all enjoy yours.

Why the return?
  • Front steering turnbuckle broke on the first day out;
  • The front alignment was toed out so much that the car would just wiggle everywhere in reverse and was probably one of the reasons why the turnbuckle snapped when it landed a little off on the front wheel from a small jump;
  • I don't know what it is but I'm just not impressed with Losi RTR (not to be confused with TLR) plastic build quality and their lack of information on maintenance;
    • I've owned a couple of Losi RTRs and anything built before 2023 has been poop in my experience. The new 2.0 Rey series have been solid from what I've seen but the SRR and SBR 2.0 feels really cheap for almost $800-$900 rigs.
    • Coming from ARRMA and Traxxas, Losi has probably the flimsiest plastics
  • HH Customer Service was a nightmare and didn't want to deal with my return. It took them weeks of dragging their feet, but luckily I bought it through Amazon and they flexed their muscle on HH and they finally accepted the return so that they don't lose their seller status.
    • My LHS told me that HH was planning on leaving Amazon because those two did not align on their return policy (HH hates returns).
  • Easily the worst "large scale" RTR I've ever owned.

Last edited:
  • The front alignment was toed out so much that the car would just wiggle everywhere in reverse and was probably one of the reasons why the turnbuckle snapped when it landed it little off on the front wheel from a small jump;
  • I don't know what it is but I'm just not impressed with Losi RTR (not to be confused with TLR) plastic build quality and their lack of information on maintenance;
    • I've owned a couple of Losi RTRs and anything built before 2023 has been poop in my experience. The new 2.0 Rey series have been solid from what I've seen but the SRR and SBR 2.0 feels really cheap for almost $800-$900 rigs.
  • HH Customer Service was a nightmare and didn't want to deal with my return. It took them weeks of dragging their feet, but luckily I bought it through Amazon and they flexed their muscle on HH and they finally accepted the return so that they don't lose their seller status.
    • My LHS told me that HH was planning on leaving Amazon because those two did not align on their return policy (HH hates returns).
yikes man, that sounds like an absolute nightmare

• The front alignment was toed out so much that the car would just wiggle everywhere in reverse and was probably one of the reasons why the turnbuckle snapped when it landed a little off on the front wheel from a small jump;
    • Coming from ARRMA and Traxxas, Losi has probably the flimsiest plastics
Wow. Sounds like a terrible experience. Glad you were able to return it.

I’ve had a Super Baja Rey (V1) for a while and it has been an absolute tank. Literally zero breaks over ~12 months of ownership. The only time I’ve had to work on it was because I wanted to replace the slow stock servo.

Fingers crossed this Super Rock Rey on the same platform holds up as well.

Wow. Sounds like a terrible experience. Glad you were able to return it.

I’ve had a Super Baja Rey (V1) for a while and it has been an absolute tank. Literally zero breaks over ~12 months of ownership. The only time I’ve had to work on it was because I wanted to replace the slow stock servo.

Fingers crossed this Super Rock Rey on the same platform holds up as well.
I don't know what it is, but I preferred the SBR 2.0 over the SRR 2.0...but I'm stay away from a couple of Losi products for the foreseeable future (I do have the RZR Rey and I love it, but the steering bellcrank/servo saver is garbage). I love my ARRMAs, Axials and TLRs, but Losi - while innovative - their build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't get me started on the cash grab Hammer Rey either...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back