Picked up a used Losi Super Rock Rey, any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
My buddy bought the SBR awhile back and we have a blast with that thing, much different than his mojave (Mojave is still great of course). So I started wanting the SRR because that is more my style and I love the aggressiveness of it. I managed to get one from OfferUp for $400 but it did have a couple borken A arms, broken rear strut mount, broken front shock tower, and a slightly cracked mudguard. Story has it he smacked a mailbox on his third run lol. But for $400 I am very happy. So being that this is my first Losi and first non arrma I am quite pumped. If anyone has any tips or aftermarket suggestions I would love to hear them! (yes I have looked at that beautiful $1500 kit from vitavon).

The SRR looks really cool(y)
From what I've read (SRR and SBR have been on my list and occasionallly pop up again;)) both rear tralling arms are a weak point. That would probably be my first upgrade to aluminium. I'd go from from there, because you can basically upgrade everything to aluminium and once you also start with the rear axle, you'd also start looking at the diff housings etc. 💸💸💸
Perhaps wise to buy a few spare stock arms ;).

Let us know how you like the SRR(y). If only they'd change the battery comparments...

(yes I have looked at that beautiful $1500 kit from vitavon).

So buy the kit and park it on the shelf and stare at your 2k paperweight.

OR, buy the stock parts it needs and go bash the sh!t out of it.

OR, buy the vitavon kit, bash the sh!t outa it and cry about it later.

Many different options you have, all involve money. How deep are your pockets?

The SRR looks really cool(y)
From what I've read (SRR and SBR have been on my list and occasionallly pop up again;)) both rear tralling arms are a weak point. That would probably be my first upgrade to aluminium. I'd go from from there, because you can basically upgrade everything to aluminium and once you also start with the rear axle, you'd also start looking at the diff housings etc. 💸💸💸
Perhaps wise to buy a few spare stock arms ;).

Let us know how you like the SRR(y). If only they'd change the battery comparments...
Yeah man I cannot wait to make it more custom. I am thinking a black body with some aluminum parts will look pretty damn awesome, also not planning on sending it much at all so I am not overly concerned about bending stuff. I know I am going to start with the rear arms for sure from vitavon, and the front tower might be next, who knows. Absolutley going to get some runs in before I start too much though. I was very happy to see that my Zee 7000 mah batteries fit, although they are a very tight fit. But I have already figured out a plan to do some trimming to make it fit better I believe.
So buy the kit and park it on the shelf and stare at your 2k paperweight.

OR, buy the stock parts it needs and go bash the sh!t out of it.

OR, buy the vitavon kit, bash the sh!t outa it and cry about it later.

Many different options you have, all involve money. How deep are your pockets?
Not buying that kit anytime soon thats for sure. I already did buy the stock parts so I can run it and enjoy it like that and maybe next time stuff starts breaking then I will get the goodies. But I sure do like the bling I will admit, I have my arrmas to bash the sh!t out of so this won't be beaten to oblivion.

Hmm you actually made me look up the battery tray size again;).
Apperenly I've seen a couple of different answers, ranging from 139x50x105 to 150x45x70:rolleyes:.
Good to hear you can run your 7000mah lipo's. I've read people saying you can run 5000mah at most. In the big heavy SRR that would probably only be like 10-15 minutes of play...

Yeah I mean they are TIGHT so it's not ideal by any means. But from my short look at it last night it looks like you can make one side of the tray slightly larger with a trim and I think that will be enough for them to sit in there happy. We shall see

Yeah I mean they are TIGHT so it's not ideal by any means. But from my short look at it last night it looks like you can make one side of the tray slightly larger with a trim and I think that will be enough for them to sit in there happy. We shall see

I was looking at used SBR and SRR a while back and the battery compartment design seemed to be a common complaint, I moved on from the truck for the time being but I think I saw a few "battery tray mod" videos when I was looking at review videos.

I was looking at used SBR and SRR a while back and the battery compartment design seemed to be a common complaint, I moved on from the truck for the time being but I think I saw a few "battery tray mod" videos when I was looking at review videos.
Yeah I will have to do some research to see what I can come up with. I will certainly be trying different things to make them fit better. I have a good amount of confidence in my first idea. So excited to run this truck, hoping I can Saturday when my a arms show up. Might have to wait on another part though.

Couple things I did since I got it were of course fix the broken stuff but I also went in and trimmed one side of the battery compartment and now my 7000 Zees fit beautifully! I also put some tape around the battery with some slack on it so there is a flap to grab to pull the batteries out, makes it easy! I got a vitavon locker for the rear because I wanted it to slide and it is absolutely doing so now. My issue at the moment is the steering is insanely loose. With my arrmas I can move the front tires a little when the truck is on but this is like I can almost completely turn the wheels and I believe it is making things very difficult to keep in a straight line. That being said I already had a big 1/5th servo in my parts bin so I am ordering the larger servo mount and a HR servo saver in hopes to make everything nice and happy. Last night I decided to put my 6s badlands on it to see how they look and I fell in love. I also had 23mm hex extenders so it is a little wider and a little lower to the ground which should help reduce roll overs. I also took the top tire off because that is adding to it being top heavy for sure and it looks freakin sweet!! I would like to put something in place of the tire that isn't so heavy but idk what that is yet. Then I got the idea of putting the SRR hexes and tires on my kraton and it looks awesome lol. Cant wait to rip them both.
C585556F-2368-401B-98AD-7EE2D5B5D697.jpeg

Couple things I did since I got it were of course fix the broken stuff but I also went in and trimmed one side of the battery compartment and now my 7000 Zees fit beautifully! I also put some tape around the battery with some slack on it so there is a flap to grab to pull the batteries out, makes it easy! I got a vitavon locker for the rear because I wanted it to slide and it is absolutely doing so now. My issue at the moment is the steering is insanely loose. With my arrmas I can move the front tires a little when the truck is on but this is like I can almost completely turn the wheels and I believe it is making things very difficult to keep in a straight line. That being said I already had a big 1/5th servo in my parts bin so I am ordering the larger servo mount and a HR servo saver in hopes to make everything nice and happy. Last night I decided to put my 6s badlands on it to see how they look and I fell in love. I also had 23mm hex extenders so it is a little wider and a little lower to the ground which should help reduce roll overs. I also took the top tire off because that is adding to it being top heavy for sure and it looks freakin sweet!! I would like to put something in place of the tire that isn't so heavy but idk what that is yet. Then I got the idea of putting the SRR hexes and tires on my kraton and it looks awesome lol. Cant wait to rip them both.
View attachment 233537
Stephen, how are the upgrades working out for the SRR

Stephen, how are the upgrades working out for the SRR
With that setup I loved it! But I just sold it this weekend, it just wasn't getting any love and I needed to clear space anyways. But it was a fun truck for sure, 1100kv motor on stock gearing woke that thing up like CRAZY

With that setup I loved it! But I just sold it this weekend, it just wasn't getting any love and I needed to clear space anyways. But it was a fun truck for sure, 1100kv motor on stock gearing woke that thing up like CRAZY
I totally get it. Many of the Losi are focused on “intended purpose” and not really general hardcore bashers. Whoever bought yours is really lucky!!

View attachment 233537
Both look great.

The SSR tires on the Kraton look perfect. They are the exact thing I’ve been looking for to complete my Kraton.

C6A39E65-1D9A-482A-8F30-100C9792FAEA.png

To get the SSR wheels to fit do I only need to get the SSR 20mm hexes and the wheels?

I totally get it. Many of the Losi are focused on “intended purpose” and not really general hardcore bashers. Whoever bought yours is really lucky!!
The guy drove it over the weekend and loved it so he's very happy!
Both look great.

The SSR tires on the Kraton look perfect. They are the exact thing I’ve been looking for to complete my Kraton.

View attachment 280325

To get the SSR wheels to fit do I only need to get the SSR 20mm hexes and the wheels?
Yes! The pin for the SRR is too wide for the kraton stub axle so you can use the kraton one but the kraton pin is a little loose in the SRR hex but when you put in the grub screw it tightens it up and makes it happy.

Yes! The pin for the SRR is too wide for the kraton stub axle so you can use the kraton one but the kraton pin is a little loose in the SRR hex but when you put in the grub screw it tightens it up and makes it happy.
Awesome. I'm currently running Talion tires on my kraton and was looking for something a little taller but similar width to the talions. These look perfect. Thanks for the info my wallet hates you lol.

Awesome. I'm currently running Talion tires on my kraton and was looking for something a little taller but similar width to the talions. These look perfect. Thanks for the info my wallet hates you lol.
Hahaha hey man my wallet hates me too!! But these tires are pretty huge honestly. Even bigger than fireteam tires. But they were pretty fun so I hope they work good

How did the SRR tires hold up on the kraton? Did the larger size tires put a lot of stress on drivetrain? I'm running the hobbywing max6 combo w/1650kv motor in my kraton. I jump the thing a lot but I'm not sending it 40 feet in the air.

I've got the 20mm hexes and wheels in my cart at $160. Want to make sure you liked them before hitting the buy button.

How did the SRR tires hold up on the kraton? Did the larger size tires put a lot of stress on drivetrain? I'm running the hobbywing max6 combo w/1650kv motor in my kraton. I jump the thing a lot but I'm not sending it 40 feet in the air.

I've got the 20mm hexes and wheels in my cart at $160. Want to make sure you liked them before hitting the buy button.
I really only ran it a few times with them. They were pretty slidy which was fun but they added so much more suspension travel so that was nice on landings. I never had a problem with the drivetrain when I had them

I really only ran it a few times with them. They were pretty slidy which was fun but they added so much more suspension travel so that was nice on landings. I never had a problem with the drivetrain when I had them
Do you think the handling is similar to the fireteams? I have some of those I've put on my kraton and they slide as well. I liked it in certain conditions.

Do you think the handling is similar to the fireteams? I have some of those I've put on my kraton and they slide as well. I liked it in certain conditions.
I would say they have probably about the same traction. They are just a good amount taller so it's different

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back