Typhon Pinon Gear won't go on New Brushless Motor!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thabigo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
SO I have a Typhon Mega 550. I went with the Firma 3150Kv Motor (5mm Shaft) then I got the 15T 0.8 MOD SAFE-D5 CNC STEEL PINION GEAR (#ARA310998). I also got a 21T 0.8 MOD SAFE-D5 CNC STEEL PINION GEAR (#ARA311004). Not sure what I am doing wrong but niether Pinon is going into this motor shaft. Any advice here? I am assuming it is suppose to go in nice and smooth like my Brushed 550 Mega motor does with the OEM 14T Pinon.

SO I have a Typhon Mega 550. I went with the Firma 3150Kv Motor (5mm Shaft) then I got the 15T 0.8 MOD SAFE-D5 CNC STEEL PINION GEAR (#ARA310998). I also got a 21T 0.8 MOD SAFE-D5 CNC STEEL PINION GEAR (#ARA311004). Not sure what I am doing wrong but niether Pinon is going into this motor shaft. Any advice here? I am assuming it is suppose to go in nice and smooth like my Brushed 550 Mega motor does with the OEM 14T Pinon.
Thinking you got a motor that doesn’t work with the safe D pinion. I know spectrum motors use that safe D pinion but not so sure about the Firma ones. I’m sure somebody on here can answer your question. I’m curious myself now…

Brushed 550 motors are all 3.175mm.
BLX Motors, Safe-D stuff is weird. 5mm and others larger to 8mm.
Several different I.D. Pinions there. Know what you got. Then what you need.

damn it I think it is the wrong shaft type. Looking at the photos of the 3900kv and the 3200kv Firma Motors they look different and have that grove to attach that C clip as well.
The First pic is the 3150kv, then the 3200kv then 3900kv.

Motor_1024x1024.jpg

IMG-1562_b6e06b4b-0596-407e-b6d7-fe25954d6df7_1024x1024.jpg

ArrmaVendettaMotor_1_1024x1024.jpg

Yeah that’s not a safe D pinion compatible motor. Just get a regular non-safe D Arrma pinion, like $5 or so.
Yea I will swing by the Hobby store and get a few. I was thinking 15t- 18t and maybe 21t. Test them out and see which performs better.

Yea I will swing by the Hobby store and get a few. I was thinking 15t- 18t and maybe 21t. Test them out and see which performs better.
Maybe at art out with 15 or 16. Higher than that may cause heat issues/cogging If you’re doing general bashing. A 3S typhon comes with a 15t pinion stock. The typhon is a bit lighter though and has thinner, lighter tires so maybe a 17t pinion would be fine. I would watch the temperatures close if you go higher than 16.

Yeah that tight fitting Typhon buggy body also heats things up quick.

I actually found a way to somewhat alleviate that, all you need to do is raise the body posts in the rear. It doesn’t get hot for me and I’m running an 18T pinion.

I've been avoiding the safe-D pinions for this reason. I wasn't sure if they fitted the non safe-D shafts.

I actually found a way to somewhat alleviate that, all you need to do is raise the body posts in the rear. It doesn’t get hot for me and I’m running an 18T pinion.
+1
Good idea. I thought of that. Now that you back that up, I will try it if hot.. I doubt cool weather will be an issue. Also running 18 in my TLRT.(y)

I use the Arrma stock Safe-D pinions on my Kratons BLX V4 motor (Not Safe-D). All I had to do was file down a little lip on the end of the shaft.
Ok thanks. Good to know.

I use the Arrma stock Safe-D pinions on my Kratons BLX V4 motor (Not Safe-D). All I had to do was file down a little lip on the end of the shaft.

☝️☝️..This is your answer if you want to go this route.. You will be able to use both styles of pinion...Just won't have the luxury of using the e clip..

Good point I didn’t think of.
So you file it all the way around or just at a certain point?

Good point I didn’t think of.

So you file it all the way around or just at a certain point?

No, just the end of the flat.. file the lip off the end of the land so it's flat the whole length..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back