Please help fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLauber

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
My spur gear and pinion are bothering failing I just upgraded to a hobby wing mad 10 combo and every ring I strip a spur gear and the pinion comes lose on the motor thing and I cant get the pinion to stay what should I do please help

You could use a t driver, but you need good quality tips, no monkey metal or you will keep stripping your grubs.

Yes. Be careful not to over torque with a T handled driver . Be gentle. I don't recommend them however for everyday RC wrenching. I have them also. But used mostly for other things, . Hand drivers are best for RC sized fasteners and "T handled drivers" also slows you down and can be awkward.
In a pinch are ok.
Don't buy them specifically for your RC wrenching at all! :cool:
And Don't buy BALL hex drivers. (n)

Should be 5x5mm They come in pack of 10 for like $2.99 You can buy them everywhere, hobby shop, Horizon, Ebay, Amain. Hit up your cookie jar.

Get yourself a good set of tools like @SrC said above ☝️, they're cheap insurance, that's why you're having these issues! 😉
Wait I belive it's a 3x3 unless the 17t is a 5x5 because maybe the 14t needs a 3x3
You could use a t driver, but you need good quality tips, no monkey metal or you will keep stripping your grubs.
It's not
Wait I belive it's a 3x3 unless the 17t is a 5x5 because maybe the 14t needs a 3x3

It's not
So is it a 5x5

Last edited:
Pinions can come with 2.5, 3.0 and 4.mm setscrews if that is what you are referring to. Pinion size is not always the determining factor. It's by brand. MIP gears and Tekno pinions for instance just choose to use larger setscrews for example.
Hope I understood the above correctly enough?

Pinion can come with 2.5, 3.0 and 4.mm setscews if that is what you are referring to. Pinion size is not always the determining factor. It' by brand. MIP geras and Tekin pinions for instance just choose to use larger setscrews for example.
Hope I understood the above correctly enough?
It can also come in 5x5

Yes, it's possible, usually based on Pitch size or Modulus of the gear. Larger Motor shafts get larger set screws in general. FWIW.

You never stated what exact Arrma rig you have. 🤷‍♂️ There are so many.🤷‍♂️ Did you know that? AF covers all if them. Should have posted this in the specific model thread listing.
Go to arrma-rc.com and look up you your vehicle diagram, the parts and description of size and #'s are shown. Everything is there. It's your bible. That's how we all do it.:cool:

You never stated what exact Arrma rig you have. 🤷‍♂️ There are so many.🤷‍♂️ Did you know that? AF covers all if them. Should have posted this in the specific model thread listing.
Go to arrma-rc.com and look up you your vehicle diagram, the parts and description of size and #'s are shown. Everything is there. It's your bible. That's how we all do it.:cool:
Ok I have a arrma granite 4x4 mega upgraded to hobby wing max 10 and I need to find the grub screw for the 17t pinion cause I upgraded to a 17t pinion and the grub ist stripped

What brand was the upgrade pinion? Arrma? Or generic?
If you were able to remove the set screw ,and you will need to do this anyway if wanting to install another one, try installing standard screws into the pinion to establish what size it is. 2, 2.5 3.0 ,4mm and so on. At most, the setscrew needs to be only as long as the original or the depth of the Pinion threads. Too long is no good obviously.

This is what I got from Arrm-rc.com for the mega 4x4. For the stock 14T pinion. (48 pitch Teeth) Do you still have the old stock pinion and setscrew for reference? Maybe that setscrew will work? stock is 3mmx3mm

SET SCREW M3x3mm (10pcs) (AR724303) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

Last edited:
What brand was the upgrade pinion? Arrma? Or generic?
If you were able to remove the set screw ,and you will need to do this anyway if wanting to install another one, try installing standard screws into the pinion to establish what size it is. 2, 2.5 3.0 ,4mm and so on. At most, the setscrew needs to be only as long as the original or the depth of the Pinion threads. Too long is no good obviously.

This is what I got from Arrm-rc.com for the mega 4x4. For the stock 14T pinion. (48 pitch Teeth) Do you still have the old stock pinion and setscrew for reference? Maybe that setscrew will work? stock is 3mmx3mm

SET SCREW M3x3mm (10pcs) (AR724303) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
Good Idea I'll try
Good Idea I'll try
I think it worked better cause it was smaller

Back