Pro-line wheels with removable hubs..!! Do Not Buy, save your money..!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a set of those GPM 8x32 adapters a while ago, but it took forever to actually get a set of Proline tires I could use them on. Those came in today, so I finally got to try the fit of these:

20230914_142554.jpg

20230914_142819.jpg

20230914_142834.jpg

There's some random metal shavings strewn about and the paint job isn't perfect in places, but the dimensions seem accurate.

20230914_181902.jpg
20230914_182519.jpg

Put some threadlocker on the screws included with the Trenchers I got and the first adapter seemed to mount up just fine.

Got a set of those GPM 8x32 adapters a while ago, but it took forever to actually get a set of Proline tires I could use them on. Those came in today, so I finally got to try the fit of these:

View attachment 322307
View attachment 322308
View attachment 322309

There's some random metal shavings strewn about and the paint job isn't perfect in places, but the dimensions seem accurate.

View attachment 322306View attachment 322305

Put some threadlocker on the screws included with the Trenchers I got and the first adapter seemed to mount up just fine.
Anything would be better than the 💩💩💩 Proline supply with the wheels..🤣🤣

If anyone knows of any alloy ones for the 2.8" wheels drop a link here please..👍🏼 ("Alloy Wheel Hex Adapters 6x30 to 17mm")
I still can't get any in the UK, the Pro-line ones have been out of stock since I posted this thread..!!
That's 4 months without being able to use my wheels..😩😩
Thx

If anyone knows of any alloy ones for the 2.8" wheels drop a link here please..👍🏼 ("Alloy Wheel Hex Adapters 6x30 to 17mm")
I still can't get any in the UK, the Pro-line ones have been out of stock since I posted this thread..!!
That's 4 months without being able to use my wheels..😩😩
Thx
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...lgo_pvid=7dbae4c5-330f-4290-a644-96f9b1b1710c
Fwiw, I've heard folks say the DUracing products are pretty good. No direct experience myself though.

They are expensive though.. 😩 (cheaper than the over priced pro line ones)
Think I'll just throw the wheels in the trash......
What's the condition of the other 2.8 tires you have on the desperado wheels? Are those 17mm? Acetone will remove the tires from the wheels. I've been soaking Xmaxx tires for well over a week now.. I'm using a 3 gallon bucket that only fits 2 tire/wheels at a time. It works, takes a couple days each but the tires fall right off the wheels..foams were the reason I'm doing it so IDK if the foam survives the acetone bath without damage. Looks like they do, not sure..

@KnowAir .. yeah I know the acetone trick, sorry I should have been clearer in my rant :ROFLMAO: what I meant to say was remove tyres, then throw wheels in trash..!!
If I lived in the states I would post them back to proline with an angry letter telling them how bad they are..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::mad:

@KnowAir .. yeah I know the acetone trick, sorry I should have been clearer in my rant :ROFLMAO: what I meant to say was remove tyres, then throw wheels in trash..!!
If I lived in the states I would post them back to proline with an angry letter telling them how bad they are..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::mad:
Yeah, I hear ya. I have a hard time coming up with the scratch the Prolines go for, add to that stories like yours and uh, nope, not going there. Sorry for the lo$$.
The acetone trick is somewhat new to me, actually I've heard of it but never had a need..until Xmaxx that is. Tires are literally perfect, 2 full sets.. chafes my arse!! I am finding that "my" wheels are all cracked, my brothers are in much better shape. Winter bashing vs not I guess..🤷‍♂️

This is going to be a sweary rant about the total load of 💩💩💩 that these wheels are..!!!

So, last Sunday I took out the Mojavefied complete with its brand new 2.8 Mashers, I bought them discounted from full retail so got the full set for £52 (good job too.!!)

Here they are after 20 minutes of run time, one battery pack...!!!

View attachment 306923

The only reason I checked them afterwards was because during that 20 minute bash session one of the wheels decided to remove itself from my truck and in the process lost me a wheel nut..!!
Look at the next 5 pictures they are all broken..!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬💩💩💩

View attachment 306933View attachment 306934View attachment 306935

As it is this one was quite hard to see it it's broken....

View attachment 306936View attachment 306937

I decided to remove the hubs and clean them to see if they were all broken, and guess what they ARE all broken, but what's worse is that they are all broken in the exact same place..!!
I truly believe these hubs are engineered to break so you go and buy there totally over priced alloy replacement hubs..!!
And even worse still, there is no stock of the plastic ones in the UK till July...!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬 (good job I have other wheels..!!)

View attachment 306931View attachment 306932

I have had these other 2.8's you see below, the older ones without removable hubs, I believe they are the "Desperado" wheel for a couple of years with no issues at all..!!!
My first set were 2.8 badlands and I only swapped them out as they balloon like crazy, but the hubs are still to this day perfectly fine..!!

View attachment 306939

My second set were these ones you see below, if I remember correctly they are Interco's and they are even better because they have closed cell foams and hardly balloon at all, but Pro-line decided to discontinue them..!!!
I glued these up myself from loose wheels and tyres, they weren't bought as pre-mounts, also to my knowledge you CANNOT buy the closed cell foams on there own..🤬 again the wheels are Desperado's..

View attachment 306940

If Pro-line think I am going to buy £70/$70 worth of alloy hubs they have another thing coming, these things are a total RIPOFF in my opinion..!!! I've no idea if this was a Horizon Hobby decision or all Pro-line's doing but it's just unacceptable to modify the wheel line-up and make them all totally 💩💩💩 and breakable then charge an insane amount just to keep using your wheels..!!!!

So this is the end of my RANT, my top tip and advise to anyone looking to buy 2.8 wheels/tyres is look elsewhere DO NOT spend your hard earned cash on this 💩💩💩..!!

On a side note, these wheels below are from a Corally Sketer, they are better than any 2.8 Pro-line's, perform about 100 times better, don't balloon and are way cheaper too..!!!

View attachment 306942

😎
Thanks for the heads-up. You saved me a pretty penny.

Are the Pro Loc MX43's the only fixed hub wheel that Proline offers now for 1/5? Seems to be..
BTW, I see Proline no longer offers the sling shot 4.3 paddles without the wheels.. shame. I thought if I ponied up for a set of MX43 Badlands I could help justify the cost by buying just the paddle tires and use the same wheels for snow bashing..nope. Thanks Porkline. What's next, no more 4.3 Badlands without buying the wheels again too? Wtf is this hobby coming to? Duratrax has discontinued the only "good" 1/5 tires and wheels they ever made too..six-packs, hatchets, lockups..all gone. Oh, but they have the warthogs..with removable hexes. Look like tires for a toy IMO. Sad.. well, at least Arrma has upped their game with BF BB MT's!! Only game in town now IMO.

So I recently picked up a set of the the new Proline Mirage TT tires and wheels for the Mojave/UDR. So far, they are great, only a few packs through them, but I like them. I'm wondering if the broken hex adapters are due to positive offset? On the Mirage, the adapters for the Mojo are zero offset, the UDR adapters definitely have some positive offset to them. Maybe a half inch or so. Are the Raid zero offset adapters also breaking? I think this might be the problem, possitive offset plastic hub adapters. Perhaps it would be wiser to use the Proline zero offset adapters combined with extended aluminum hex adapters on the axle when needed?🤔

So I recently picked up a set of the the new Proline Mirage TT tires and wheels for the Mojave/UDR. So far, they are great, only a few packs through them, but I like them. I'm wondering if the broken hex adapters are due to positive offset? On the Mirage, the adapters for the Mojo are zero offset, the UDR adapters definitely have some positive offset to them. Maybe a half inch or so. Are the Raid zero offset adapters also breaking? I think this might be the problem, possitive offset plastic hub adapters. Perhaps it would be wiser to use the Proline zero offset adapters combined with extended aluminum hex adapters on the axle when needed?🤔

Any negative offset changes to the hub position will multiply the reactive forces on the moment of inertia. A longer hex adapter stresses the hub bearings where offsetting the wheel using a hub to wheel spacer also does the same, except the failure mode becomes plastic in Proline's case. 0-offset will provide the most reliable bearing life and not place any additional stress on the wheel/hub assembly.

If using an alloy hex adapter on an off-road jumper, I'd recommend a triple bearing alloy hub or one with HD bearing(shorter stub assembly) at minimum with MT tires. (6S platforms)

Any negative offset changes to the hub position will multiply the reactive forces on the moment of inertia. A longer hex adapter stresses the hub bearings where offsetting the wheel using a hub to wheel spacer also does the same, except the failure mode becomes plastic in Proline's case. 0-offset will provide the most reliable bearing life and not place any additional stress on the wheel/hub assembly.

If using an alloy hex adapter on an off-road jumper, I'd recommend a triple bearing alloy hub or one with HD bearing(shorter stub assembly) at minimum with MT tires. (6S platforms)
Pretty much what I was thinking.. I know the photos that @BashingBrian shared at the beginning of this thread are indeed positive offset plastic hubs, which may very well be the reason they cracked. Using extensions in general to achieve a wider width on an off road anything is a bad idea. TRX uses positive offset wheels on most all their rc's, which is basically cheaping out IMO. 👎
I guess I was also trying to say that if one really wants to extend the width of a rig, quality extended hubs is the best route short of using longer suspension arms which isn't always possible. Any extensions put alot of extra stress on the hubs, axles, arms, shocks.. least desirable way to go is extended plastic hub adapters I'd say..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back