Proline finally out with 3.8" belted...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
Wow... that's pretty rough.
I'd be curious to see how they work out. I'm still waiting for belted MX28s.

I mean, I can get two full sets of backflips from Jennys and have money leftover for beer.

This is important what you've said imo. I just bash so when my tires cut pizzas, I figure it's just part of the experience.
I like more control ......and balancing air control with ground control takes thought. I predict less air control with these new belted. On the other hand, on the ground they may be sexy as hell. But so would be the Sweep Racing Crushers. I blew some Terrian Crushers at under 70mph but I had plenty run time on em before it happened.

What I really like is the way the wheels look and the way the tires look. I love the Trenchers even not belted. More than looks, they also perform (I have a Slash VXL 2wd and I like em on that when it isn't broken.)
*I do have new belted 2.8 trenchers with 17mm on now but haven't tested yet.

After all that, I guess I mean that I'd rather have more good spares than single set of new fancies for a basher truck. The Backflips are all around awesome and I wish to one day have the new LP that come on the 4s.

Time will tell if they're worth the $. Seems like Pro-Line is getting behind them with that retail price tag. They must believe in em pretty strong.

Too expensive for what they are in my opinion, shall wait to see someone report back on here if they buy them..

I lifted this from Proline's website..

Please note that the Trencher HP tires are not meant to be extreme speed run tires and have achieved up to 75 mph or about 5,000 RPM under ideal conditions in testing. Over revving your Trencher HP tires could result in breaking the internal belt, which will NOT be covered under warranty. This can be caused by "diffing out" your tires or holding the throttle open while one, two or three of your tires are stopped, which substantially increases the RPM sent to the free-spinning tire or tires.

So I read that as, if they turn into pizza cutters your ? out of luck on the warranty...?
I mean, I can get two full sets of backflips from Jennys and have money leftover for beer.

I agree with @Just a Basher too..

Too expensive for what they are in my opinion, shall wait to see someone report back on here if they buy them..

I lifted this from Proline's website..

Please note that the Trencher HP tires are not meant to be extreme speed run tires and have achieved up to 75 mph or about 5,000 RPM under ideal conditions in testing. Over revving your Trencher HP tires could result in breaking the internal belt, which will NOT be covered under warranty. This can be caused by "diffing out" your tires or holding the throttle open while one, two or three of your tires are stopped, which substantially increases the RPM sent to the free-spinning tire or tires.

So I read that as, if they turn into pizza cutters your ? out of luck on the warranty...?

I agree with @Just a Basher too..
Good luck with wty anyway.

Yep, steep indeed. Probably stick with the BFs or Copperhead 2s.

Sure they are steep, but if they last 2x or 2x as long, that is beer money back in your pocket.

And the aluminum hex inserts are an option, but are they needed? I have only ever stripped one 17mm wheel, and that was a clear case of didn't torque the wheel nut...

I haven't had issues with the 17mm plastic hex in my old trenchers. Since they discontinued the standard trencher 3.8's... I'm glad I have a spare set on the shelf. Looks like they are $20 more a pair than the old ones without the alloy hubs.

Looking at the specs, these appear to be kind of in between the X and standards. Same width as the X, but a bit taller.

Yep, steep indeed. Probably stick with the BFs or Copperhead 2s.
The Trencher HP 3.8's are super heavy. For the price, I would expect a better speed rating with no warranty disclaimer. Lets face it, Pro-line is a US based company that makes most of their stuff here. They are expensive products. Taping your wheels would be the best option for most people if you don't like ballooning. Choosing tires is much like full scale cars and tires. You can get a set that disappoints. If you have money to burn go for it.
My contact at PL stated there are numerous preorders. Even he is begging for a set to play with, but cust. orders(vendors and individual) have to be honored first. And production appears to be slow. Hence labor. Hence price. It may be a great tire. I'll wait on this one.
I have settled on the PL standard 3.8 Badlands(favorite), BackFlips, and Copperhead 2's. Fine with these 3.
I also experiment with 1/8 Truggy Duratrax (1/2 inch offset version) X-Cons. Changes my Kraton into something I cant describe yet. Minimal ballooning, but low profile, more of a challenge. Only when I can find a semi clean hard pack "wet dirt" area, ideally of a clay. I wait a day after a rain storm. I go scouting around for that. I always bring two sets of tires to have.
The X-cons (c2) are not bad for the price. They are made very well. And very light. Its a track tire. These probably wont work for most bashers though.

I don't even spend that much on my own shoes, and on something I'm going to rip up anyway, it's just not worth it to me. I like my Backflips and I kind of want to try some Copperhead2's on the Noto so I have plenty of tire options right now.

....and have enough left over for beer.

Sure they are steep, but if they last 2x or 2x as long, that is beer money back in your pocket.

And the aluminum hex inserts are an option, but are they needed? I have only ever stripped one 17mm wheel, and that was a clear case of didn't torque the wheel nut...
One member here has reported having to replace the plastic "replaceable" hubs
If the tires are reviewed excellent, maybe the aluminum set is worth it. I'm interested because imo, a set of good wheels and tires can rotate around the shop. Fun to try on several vehicles.

and they are very expensive vs alternate brands.
$145 for the whole truck
Then get the aluminum hex and add another $80 ?
Pretty steep imo.
I don't see any of these in my future unless reviews show that they're amazing.

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/trencher-hp-3.8-all-terrain-belted-tires-mounted.asp
Personally I have no doubt the reviews will be amazing. It’s probably going to revolutionize 8th scale off-road MT tires as we know it. Now, would I pay even $145 for them, that’s a negative.. I get around just fine with standard wide track trenchers geared for 60, and that’s way past fast enough for me. The only time it gets scary is if 2 wheels get up in the air and I’m hard on the throttle, but that’s easy to avoid so mine have lasted almost a year without damage.
too expensive for me. I don't think I could justify that kind of price for a toy car
This. Everyone seems to forget we’re playing with toys here, nice to know I’m not alone. At the end of the day it’s not a real truck and it’s not getting me from point a to point b. It’s strictly for enjoyment.

One member here has reported having to replace the plastic "replaceable" hubs
If the tires are reviewed excellent, maybe the aluminum set is worth it. I'm interested because imo, a set of good wheels and tires can rotate around the shop. Fun to try on several vehicles.
PL only shows the $40./pair aluminum 17mm Hex adapters as 6x32. This is specific to the 2.8's.
The 3.8's require 8x32 hex adapters. 8 bolts are used vs. 6 for the 2.8's. I don't see 8x32 alum. hubs on Pl's site yet. I am sure they will be available at some point. Logically costing even more than the 6x32 (2.8) alum. hubs.
But honestly if the 6x32's are showing issues of stripping out, you are stuck with purchasing expensive $40./pair alum. adapters because you made the $$ plunge for these expensive Belted HP's? The only option is to keep buying the nylon hubs at $8.00/4 pieces?
The aluminum hubs look like they do cost much more to CNC out of billet alum. But how does the average RC'er justify that?
By comparison, Incision aluminum Crawler wheel hubs by Vanquish Products for example only cost $10.00/pair!
Many here have asked PL to produce these Belted tires. They did live up to their promise as they value feedback for creating new products.
Are the belts truly molded into the tire's rubber or are they just belts that are glued to the inside of the tire? I think that is what separates the men from the boys regarding belted tires in general. Taping our tires is always the alternative option for us.
My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
The price is a shock for sure, PL leaving out the weight is not. Notice that under "specs"? ?
I would imagine its going to be a little more than the non belted versions. Looking around, looks like the non belted Trenchers are heavier than the backflips by 30-40 grams.

I'd love to try a set out, but $145 to just try something when I'm really happy with the backflips already doesn't make sense.

I always felt that the 6S BackFlips were on the lighter side compared to most others.

Wow... that's pretty rough.
I'd be curious to see how they work out. I'm still waiting for belted MX28s.

And we all know that beer is the most important thing in life.

I don't even spend that much on my own shoes, and on something I'm going to rip up anyway, it's just not worth it to me. I like my Backflips and I kind of want to try some Copperhead2's on the Noto so I have plenty of tire options right now.

....and have enough left over for beer.
I spend more money on my toy cars than my real one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back