Promodeler DS630BLHV.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, I’m right there with you. For $10 or $20, literally everybody should have a glitch buster plugged into their receiver.
Just buy a $3.00 Cap that covers Double or more than the volts of the BEC/ Rx power circuit rail, and solder a JR/Futaba connector to it. Plug into any open Rx port. Can it hurt? NO.
Will it make a difference? Not always. But a Cap on at the Rx has other slight advantages. Not just for the Servo. If I use a cap, I want to know what issue it is solving. Not just place it there because it can't hurt. A cap should not be necessary if you are working with good electrics to start with.
Brown out issues are what these Rx Caps ( Glitch Busters) are designed for.
And a Servo that contributes to Brownouts is a problem in and of itself.
Loss of Rx's Signal is an even worse case scenario.

Last edited:
Just buy a $3.00 Cap that covers Double or more than the volts of the BEC/ Rx power circuit rail, and solder a JR/Futaba connector to it. Plug into any open Rx port. Can it hurt? NO.
Will it make a difference? Not always. But a Cap on at the Rx has other slight advantages. Not just for the Servo. If I use a cap, I want to know what issue it is solving. Not just place it there because it can't hurt. A cap should not be necessary if you are working with good electrics to start with.
Brown out issues are what these Rx Caps ( Glitch Busters) are designed for.
And a Servo that contributes to Brownouts is a problem in and of itself.
Loss of Rx's Signal is an even worse case scenario.
You both made great points. And yeah, John admits being a flyboy and I can see how up in the air every ounce of spec matters. But he doesn't really tell us we need a dedicated lipo. Just says that's the way to get the full potential. That it's the best way. It's like rc control. The best way is with a Futaba RX/TX. Yet it's far from the only way. And njwhat I like most about a dedicated lipo is the risk of overvolting becomes nil. And yeah, if I can happy with an Amazon special cheapie, one of his servos not even at its full potential would be out of this world. Like you guys, I didn't run one either. Yet it is quite possible the one in question here was overvolted. I don't think so but that's based solely on not getting the "smell". You know the one all burned out electronics produce. I get where he's coming from though. And I'm sure he knows where we are coming. Like he says, he's just giving his bellybutton...err....opinion...lol

Update.

So now I have an RMA and address to ship the servo back. Even if this doesn't get repaired, knowing exactly what happened is worth the cost of shipping. I can learn to cross creeks better when crawling but the one thing that won't change is my love of taking my Sentons out in the rain or when the ground is slippery enough to do awesome drifts without shredding up my tires.
Will post and share results when I have them.

Update.

So now I have an RMA and address to ship the servo back. Even if this doesn't get repaired, knowing exactly what happened is worth the cost of shipping. I can learn to cross creeks better when crawling but the one thing that won't change is my love of taking my Sentons out in the rain or when the ground is slippery enough to do awesome drifts without shredding up my tires.
Will post and share results when I have them.
You should get a transcript of the discussion you’ll be having. I’d love to hear it.
What if a nice friend gave you a puppy, and you later brought it back and said, “yeah, I killed that puppy. Got any advice for next time?”
Cause yup, I’m sure it will be quite entertaining.

I find you don't need a Very fast or even High torque servo in the On road platforms. Too fast is no good, harder to Steer properly. Need to trim down the ST Expo and some Servo speed at the radio. If possible, with some radios. The wheels are small and on Pavement, and don't even need much torque at all.
I found that I like the 25 Kg FanModel servo best in my Lim. I also keep it at 6v BEC. The better servo, over my DS3225 35kg servo in this application when it comes to my Speed running. I have the DS3235 35kg servo in the V1 Infr. There is a difference. I run Stock DX2E (+AVC) in the Infr. , and Radiolink RC6GS (+Gyro Rx) in the Lim. Gyro control is way better in the Lim. Could even be the Gyro type, brand or servo. Not 100% sure.

You should get a transcript of the discussion you’ll be having. I’d love to hear it.
What if a nice friend gave you a puppy, and you later brought it back and said, “yeah, I killed that puppy. Got any advice for next time?”
Cause yup, I’m sure it will be quite entertaining.
But I'm not asking for advice. See, my current GF was one of the first people to ever grasp the nature of my hearing loss. I'm not hard of hearing. I'm hard of listening. Lol
I know the nature of how I crawl is going to damage components. I know that as a noob who jumped into speedrunning relatively fast without at least a few years experience meant it was going to get expensive for me. But I did learn young that fun and money go hand in hand.
I find you don't need a Very fast or even High torque servo in the On road platforms. Too fast is no good, harder to Steer properly. Need to trim down the ST Expo and some Servo speed at the radio. If possible, with some radios. The wheels are small and on Pavement, and don't even need much torque at all.
I found that I like the 25 Kg FanModel servo best in my Lim. I also keep it at 6v BEC. The better servo, over my DS3225 35kg servo in this application when it comes to my Speed running. I have the DS3235 35kg servo in the V1 Infr. There is a difference. I run Stock DX2E (+AVC) in the Infr. , and Radiolink RC6GS (+Gyro Rx) in the Lim. Gyro control is way better in the Lim. Could even be the Gyro type, brand or servo. Not 100% sure.
100% agreed. In fact I slow down the steering speed of every servo I've had via RL settings.

But I'm not asking for advice.
Well, you can bet your ass you’re going to get it anyway. And what do you think he’s going to say when you tell him you want a new puppy?

Well, you can bet your ass you’re going to get it anyway. And what do you think he’s going to say when you tell him you want a new puppy?
He likes proverbs so I expect something along the lines of "a fool and his money are soon parted" lmao

He likes proverbs so I expect something along the lines of "a fool and his money are soon parted" lmao
You might have just nailed it. 😂
But seriously, I’ll be interested in what he says after he evaluates it. If you can totally abuse it, submerge it, and after being rode hard, put it up wet? It will be interesting to see what’s up with it.
I‘m thinking water intrusion eventually permeated the monkey snot/conformal coating on the PCB and corrosion bridged and shorted the board. When you energized it months later it was game over.
Staying tuned…

Subbed.

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

First, allow me to state this isn't a rant against Promodeler. I will honestly state I treated this servo like the mouthy rebellious unwanted stepchild. Its been ĺcompletely submerged enough times to be immune to water boarding. It's taken tumbles and smack in possibly every manner you can think of.
Last year, after going through so many servo, cheap and otherwise, I bought a DS630BLHV for my SCX10.iii. Long story short, I got a TF2 and shelfed the Axial pending a rebuild. The servo worked during the last time out. It sat on my bench since last fall. Recently I took it out to check if a mount I made worked. And this weekend an Amazon cheapie pooped the bed so I put this in my TT02.
-plugged in properly and wires show no scuffs or missing insulation.
-endpoints were always used on the Axial. Whether or not it was 100% properly set is anyone's guess.
-the esc and receiver are the exact same ones from the Axial(Mamba X/R7FG)
-no binding, the whole front end including steering crank is Yeah Racing upgraded. Smooth as butter.

The servo refused to respond when powered up. No movement, no vibration. No sounds obviously loud enough for e to hear. Teeth are fine. But in 2-3 minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong, the servo grew VERY hot. That tells me there is a short.

My real questions are:
Is it normal for servos to "degrade" if left idle for months after heavy use?
Is it worthwhile or cost effective to have it repaired? Promodelers site mentions servo repair several times, even them repairing, but has no info on how to initiate a repair request.
Anyone have any guesses as to what happened? I'm 100% convinced the problem was me and not the servo. Just not sure how .
And yeah, I did email Promodeler this morning. Just figured you guys could answer faster and save me time.
honestly I would not even buy them looking at their homepage. And I use homepage here in the sense that it is mediocore or even less.

honestly I would not even buy them looking at their homepage. And I use homepage here in the sense that it is mediocore or even less.
Well, you’re missing out on one of the best servo brands on the planet.

John Beech makes it clear on that page that rather then spend on ads, sponsorships, and *I assume* his homepage and pass that cost on to you,
he just invests in better components. This allows him to sell you likely the best servos on Earth at an affordable cost.
His non-water proof or resistant servos hold up FAR better in water, completely submerged too, than most high end water proof servos. Plus I doubt the CEO of Savvox would ever take his own personal time to not only respond, but actively engage you in chats to answer any questions you might have .I'd still buy it if dial-up was the only way to access his page. ....

UPDATE:
So my return still hasn't found its way to PM. It was held up at customs for a bit and I suspect it was because the post office mislabeled it. They put it down as a motor when I tried to explain what a servo was. I suppose technically, it is a motor.
Screenshot_20230520_123555_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230520_123533_Samsung Internet.jpg

UPDATE:
So my return still hasn't found its way to PM. It was held up at customs for a bit and I suspect it was because the post office mislabeled it. They put it down as a motor when I tried to explain what a servo was. I suppose technically, it is a motor.View attachment 300889View attachment 300890
I always forget you’re from Canada and have to deal with that. And while we’re on the subject, do you have Trudeau‘s cell digits? I contacted him months ago about annexing VT but he hasn’t responded to my email.

I always forget you’re from Canada and have to deal with that. And while we’re on the subject, do you have Trudeau‘s cell digits? I contacted him months ago about annexing VT but he hasn’t responded to my email.
IF I did have his number I'd be blocked.

UPDATE.
OK, as far as I'm concerned my servo hasn't reached Sanford yet. I've been checking tracking each day and haven't seen any change since May 15.
Screenshot_20230526_113950_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230526_113945_Samsung Internet.jpg
So all I can say for sure is I haven't received a delivery confirmation. Was thinking maybe I'm jinxed shipping to the states or the postal workers see its from Canada and hope its either bacon or maple syrup and "lost" the package. But then I get an email from Promodeler.
Screenshot_20230526_112954_Outlook.jpg
Now, I haven't received a quote for repair or a scathing rebuff from John. YET. The first date is the original purchase. I assure you guys I didn't order anything. YET. I was waiting to see if repairing the servo was worthwhile and cost efficient. So.....what's going on here? Did I get lucky and my return landed on the desk of some underling at Promodeler on John's day off? Or is it being returned with the following explanation, "hahaha hahaha ha!"? I sure as hell did not expect a warranty claim. I was expecting a " Just buy another one" or "we can repair but the parts and labour comes to $xx.xx".
A part of me wants to message John and see what's up yet another part of me is saying "thats just a shipping label, wait until it's in the mail. John may not have caught on to the underlings mistake".
Ok, I will wait until it's in the mail. Just in case that underling scenario played out. Bro did me a solid, the least I can do is give him a couple days to get his affairs in order.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back