PSA - Lipo Regulation // S.F. California

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
New Fire Code

For multi-residential housing..
You are Limited to Only 4 Lipo batteries.

Must charge with its original charger and on its own outlet , NOT power strip.

These regulations seem pretty reasonable to me. Looks like it boils down to the following, ONLY in multi-residence buildings, not individual dwellings:
  • A maximum of 4 personal mobility devices per household
  • Must charge with the original charger
  • Each must be plugged into its own outlet, not a power strip
  • Must be (stored or charged?) at least 3 ft away from each other
Since these regulations are specifically for lithium ion batteries and personal mobility devices, it looks like it has no bearing on RC vehicles.

Honestly, these all sound like common sense basic safety guidelines to me that anyone with a basic understanding of battery safety would already be doing anyway.

I suppose this is what happens when the technology comes down in price and becomes accessible very rapidly, you get a lot of people that are not super knowledgeable about best safety practices engaging in risky practices without being aware. Lithium battery fires are super nasty, most of the time all you can do is just wait for them to go out on their own.

Hopefully.. they will keep it focused towards mobility gadgets and not over-reach into our RC hobbies.

You just never know how it'll go these days.

I don't know that the regulation will do anything nor are they enforceable, but it's another set of eyes that will eventually figure out we have similar batteries.

What I don't get is they have to stored 3 feet part. I don't think that will stop fire. It might stop a sympathetic ignition but the fires already started. And no more than 4 devices in one household? That's just statistic and does it include EVs?

Then again laws are to get reelected and not produce results.

Back