Typhon Question about pinion mesh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mws@339

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hello all,
I just received my 20t pinion (ARA311003 20T 0.8Mod Safe-D5 Pinion Gear), this is for a Typhon 3s. I want to make sure before I button it up I want to make sure the mesh is correct.
PXL_20210203_212315501.jpg

Looks good there, but you can't tell for sure without the other half of the slipper cover on. Put it together, just don't put the screws in, and wiggle the spur gear where it sticks out of the bottom. You should here just alittle click when you wiggle it back and forth. Then spin it around some and try it at another spot to make sure the spur isn't warped or out of round.

Looks pretty good. Maybe a tiny swidge loose. Have you got a nice tight tiktok? I do it by ear!
Ps put some washers under the motor mounting screws
I tried to pull it in tighter but I think the pitch on the 20T is different from the original 15T. I have attached a pic of the 15T mesh.

PXL_20210203_194115589.jpg

Looks good there, but you can't tell for sure without the other half of the slipper cover on. Put it together, just don't put the screws in, and wiggle the spur gear where it sticks out of the bottom. You should here just alittle click when you wiggle it back and forth. Then spin it around some and try it at another spot to make sure the spur isn't warped or out of round.
Ok I did the wiggle test i did hear a soft click. i spun the gear to make sure it was not bound up. thanks for your insight just getting back in the game.

Last edited:
I tried to pull it in tighter but I think the pitch on the 20T is different from the original 15T. I have attached a pic of the 15T mesh.

View attachment 124343

Ok I did the wiggle test i did hear a soft click. i spun the gear to make sure it was not bound up. thanks for your insight just getting back in the game.
Looks good mate. Really need to get some washers under those motor screws though :)

Looks good mate. Really need to get some washers under those motor screws though :)
Thank you kind sir, I have ordered some locking washers, funny that is how it came from the factory washerless.

Alright, I put it back together and it seems to be bound up, rolling chassis does not roll well the rear axle is on the verge of locking, I am afraid to connect the battery. any ideas?

Thank you kind sir, I have ordered some locking washers, funny that is how it came from the factory washerless.

Somewhere Arrma admitted it was an oversight and should have been there. Otherwise you'll see the impressions left when the screw heads dig into the motor plate, making fine adjustments in setting the mesh more difficult.

Somewhere Arrma admitted it was an oversight and should have been there. Otherwise you'll see the impressions left when the screw heads dig into the motor plate, making fine adjustments in setting the mesh more difficult.
you ain't kidding what a pain in the ...

Ran the Typhon in anger today with the 20T pinion it was running great right up until it stopped. steering worked no throttle. Motor, ESC were not hot. I brought it inside, unplugged the battery plugged it back in and it works. I guess CTRL+ALT+Del works here as well. I opened it up to make sure there were no shavings and it was clean in there. Coated the spur gear with dry lube and put it back together and yes motor bolts have washers now,

Ran the Typhon in anger today with the 20T pinion it was running great right up until it stopped. steering worked no throttle. Motor, ESC were not hot. I brought it inside, unplugged the battery plugged it back in and it works. I guess CTRL+ALT+Del works here as well. I opened it up to make sure there were no shavings and it was clean in there. Coated the spur gear with dry lube and put it back together and yes motor bolts have washers now,
Huzzahs all around :)

Back