Race worthy Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi Everyone,

My project is to build my Arrma Talion to a light race worthy truggy. I plan to compete racing in Sydney, Australia.

My current mods are listed below:
Markhor 5mm carbon fiber chassis
Max 5mm carbon fiber Talion towers
Carbon fiber steering rack
Carbon fiber top plate
Carbon fiber steering plate
Hot racing front chassis brace
Hot racing motor mount
Rpm arms
Rpm skid plate
Hobbywing xr8 2250 plus combo
Bluebird servo

Future mods:
Tekin rx8 combo
4mm hot dog carbon fiber chassis
Carbon fiber servo mount
Tekno rear wing
Pro-line wheels
Scortched front and rear drive shaft
Scortched front axle cvd
Lundsford pivot balls
Lunsford turn buckle
Rcracinginnovations CF front suspension mount
Rcracinginnovations CF rear suspension mount
Rcracinginnovations rear suspension arm mount

Honestly, I would skip the Hot Racing chassis braces and motor mount. If you are racing, you won't be bashing hard, and the plastic will probably be completely fine, especially if you retain the tower to tower brace. Additionally, the HR motor mount doesn't really add much of anything over the stock one, rather, I would go for a PPS motor/center diff mount.

Honestly, I would skip the Hot Racing chassis braces and motor mount. If you are racing, you won't be bashing hard, and the plastic will probably be completely fine, especially if you retain the tower to tower brace. Additionally, the HR motor mount doesn't really add much of anything over the stock one, rather, I would go for a PPS motor/center diff mount.
Thanks for feedback.

The plastic front brace weighs 20.5 grams where as the hot racing weighs 20.9 grams. I actually stripped the thread on the stock one hence why I stuck with the HR brace. I didn't want to spend money .4 grams to save weight and the hot racing one looks better too.

The stock v4 sliding motor mount is actually 36 grams heavier than the Hot racing mount.

However the PPS mount looks beautifuly strong.

I hadn't realized how light the HR chassis Brace was, and was expecting it to be quite a bit more than the plastic. You could always get a Scorched center brace with HR ends when you order the driveshafts, too.

The PPS mount is awesome for getting the perfect gear mesh, and keeping it rock solid, that's for sure. With how light you are going, I think you'll be fine splurging a little on weight with the PPS mount.

Have you looked at possibly running true race truggy shocks from an ET48 or something similar?

I hadn't realized how light the HR chassis Brace was, and was expecting it to be quite a bit more than the plastic. You could always get a Scorched center brace with HR ends when you order the driveshafts, too.

The PPS mount is awesome for getting the perfect gear mesh, and keeping it rock solid, that's for sure. With how light you are going, I think you'll be fine splurging a little on weight with the PPS mount.

Have you looked at possibly running true race truggy shocks from an ET48 or something similar?
No I haven't thought about using the tekno shocks. I know the v3 kraton springs were equivalent to the tekno springs in 2018. I don't know if that has changed. What's the difference between the tekno and kraton shocks?
Everything on the list looks good and clearly you are looking at weight savings and rigidity.
The only thing I don't agree with would be the RPM arms. You don't want rubbery a-arms when racing.
Thankyou.

I previously had the dex8t durango arms but sold all my durango stuff. Does the stock arm offer sharper turns compared to the rpm arms?

Hopefully I still have my stock arms.

What's the difference between the tekno and kraton shocks?

Generally much higher build quality, tighter tolerances, etc. Incredibly smooth and easy to tune/maintain. Overall a race shock, not a basher shock.

Does the stock arm offer sharper turns compared to the rpm arms?

Yes. The stock arms are much more rigid than RPM (the flexibility is what makes RPM arms more durable), and that rigidity will give you more reliable and predictable handling.

ET48.3 shocks are a bit too long for the Talion iirc.

save a little more weight and use the old v1-v3 motor mount. I also would skip the skid plate for smoothness but I guess you need it with the carbon chassis.

save a little more weight and use the old v1-v3 motor mount. I also would skip the skid plate for smoothness but I guess you need it with the carbon chassis.
Yes I do have a V1 motor mount but there is only a 4 gram difference. I think it's worth the extra weight but I'll see how i go if i get desperate.

I was thinking of getting rid of the skid plates. Does it offer any benefit to racing?
I was thinking that as well.
I have the v3 kraton shocks. Apparently that was a replicate of the durango dex8t. The dex8t was a the race version of the kraton. Is it out of date or still a bash shock?

Yes I do have a V1 motor mount but there is only a 4 gram difference. I think it's worth the extra weight but I'll see how i go if i get desperate.

I was thinking of getting rid of the skid plates. Does it offer any benefit to racing?
Wow, only 4 grams...I though it would be more. A while back I compared it, the new v4 and an m2c. The original was lightest followed by the m2c. I should look around for my notes on it. For ease of uses it might be worth going with sliding unit.
On the skid, the reason most would not run one is it slowing you down by hitting the track with the edge instead of a smooth chassis. Of course the way I drive it wouldn’t matter much but...good luck with the build, I think you covered everything that makes the talion a little heavy for racing.

4g compared to the v4 or the hot racing? i found it 40g lighter than the (stock) v4 motor mount.

I have the v3 kraton shocks. Apparently that was a replicate of the durango dex8t. The dex8t was a the race version of the kraton. Is it out of date or still a bash shock?
The Durango shocks and the Arrma shocks are completely different. Even on the V1 Arrma shocks the only thing they shared with the Durango was the shock springs. The shocks on the DEX8T are closer to Tekno than they are to Arrma.

4g compared to the v4 or the hot racing? i found it 40g lighter than the (stock) v4 motor mount.
Compared to the hot racing.
The Durango shocks and the Arrma shocks are completely different. Even on the V1 Arrma shocks the only thing they shared with the Durango was the shock springs. The shocks on the DEX8T are closer to Tekno than they are to Arrma.
I had x4 durango dex8t. I should've swapped it before I sold all of them.
Wow, only 4 grams...I though it would be more. A while back I compared it, the new v4 and an m2c. The original was lightest followed by the m2c. I should look around for my notes on it. For ease of uses it might be worth going with sliding unit.
On the skid, the reason most would not run one is it slowing you down by hitting the track with the edge instead of a smooth chassis. Of course the way I drive it wouldn’t matter much but...good luck with the build, I think you covered everything that makes the talion a little heavy for racing.
The v4 mount is 81g, hot racing is 31g and the stock v1 is 27g. What was the weight of m2c?

Cool I'll get rid of it then if it is going to slow me down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back