Limitless Kaladeth's Limitless V2 - Technical Race Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty happy with my current setup. I’m sure it’s a case of ignorance is bliss. Will run with it for a few months and just improve things as I go. Just had a 25 minute street bash and I’m getting more and more comfortable with the car and the controls. Wishing for more track time but the weather is not cooperating! I will try to adjust only one variable at a time so I can structure my learning.

@SrC @Overkill - Actually some of the guys at the track did say, there’s way too much power on this motor (and esc), at least for this track; but we knew that coming in. A better suited setup is the Hobbywing EzRun Max6 combo 1650kV - shaves a lot of weight for sure!

https://amzn.to/3uj9i2f

But for now, just need to go easy and be careful.

I did notice the input shaft cup has a bit of slop to it (~1mm). Is that normal? Any way to reduce it?

@Overkill - If I recall correctly the session times were supposed to be ten minutes.

These just arrived today so will finally get some official lap times next time around. 🙈

IMG_0576.jpeg

Last edited:
The dual lock on the ESC popped off and wouldn’t fasten back down. The little screw standoffs get in the way of solid flat contact with the bottom of the ESC tray. So a little bit of dremel + filing and voila.

IMG_0609.jpeg

Other updates:

* Got rid of the XLX2 Aux Wire, in preparation for the Castle Link Quick Connect.
* Used dual lock to affix the ESC power switch to the side of the XLX2.
* 3D printed a GSM020 mount for right under the rear left wing.

@joshludden I picked up a second Limitless to set it up with the 1717+MMX8S. 🙈 If it goes faster on the track, I might use the other one with the XLX2 as a speed runner / parts donor.

I hit a snag because somewhere on the forum I thought I read someone say the Arrma D pinions work just fine on Castle motors. They do not fit. The hole on the Arrma pinion on the Arrma 25T MOD1 SAFE-D5 is too small for the Castle 1717 1650kV motor shaft. :arghh:

Car #2 will have the following build details:

I figured out how to use smaller pinions by using a different sliding motor mount plate, so it should be possible to hit my original 19T pinion + 46T spur design target. It turns out the Felony sliding motor mount has less material to the inside center line (~6 mm?), allowing you to use smaller pinions vs. the stock Limitless sliding motor mount (which is maybe understandably designed for bigger pinions for speed runs).

This works for the 1717, but unfortunately not for the 2028 because the motor size makes it physically impossible to move it in any further.

1707430654420.png

ChassisArrma Limitless V2
ESCMamba MMX8S
Castle Link USB Adapter
Castle Link Quick Connect
MotorCastle 1717 1650kV
Motor MountPractical Prototype Solutions Grublock Mount
Motor FansRCP Xtreme Cool Red Motor Bracket with 2x 40x28 Fans
PinionSpeedTek RC 19t pinion
Spool + SpurSpeedTek RC 46t spur
ServoPromodeler DS635BLHV
Servo ArmPromodeler PDRS25-15T

Radios, batteries and tires will stay the same between the two builds.

Center Spool Build

Minor difference, for the spool, I converted the stock spool to 46t by using a SpeedTek gear and some spacers, instead of dropping in a SpeedTek spool.

IMG_5796.jpeg

Changed ARA714000 2 mm to a 4.75 mm spacer and ARA714000 9 mm to a 7 mm spacer, both 3D printed in PLA+. @Tex Koder will these spacers be okay, or will it be better to switch to aluminum tubing?

I also had to extend the flat area on the drive shaft by 2 mm to the rear to allow for proper seating of the spur gear set screw.

Last edited:
@joshludden I thought about it but not sure how clean I can cut it. Mostly I am hoping the PP mount solves the problem.

Another option is to go up to a 49 spur. It seems like it would fit but I would need to widen the slot at the bottom of the chassis (the gear binds otherwise). If this works, it gets me three sizes down, which should be good enough.

IMG_0625.jpeg

Setup the new servo and soldered the connectors on the ESC. Spur and pinion got the wax treatment. Next up, loctite day.

IMG_0621.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a short update after race weekend #2. Super tired but super happy. 😃

Notes:
* No major crash / repair on either car!
* Finished the race!
* Fastest lap 24s
* Both cars hit a max speed of 50 mph on the straight.

Things to improve:
* Driving skill.
* Change tires from XM3/XM4 slicks to softer treaded. Thinking XB1/XM3, might need different for summer.
* Change camber from 0 to -4.
* Change toe in from 0 (in rear, out front).
* 3D print mod to reduce caster.
* Change diff fluids from stock to 80k rear, 1M front.
* Change shock oil to 1k.

I also need a motor fan for the 1717-1650, it ran a little bit hot. Any recommendations?

Still processing video from the GoPro, will add to this post later.

IMG_0686.jpeg

The Practical Prototype Solutions Mount gives me an additional ~6 mm (and more maybe?) to play with! A 19t pinion definitely fits. Printing a few smaller ones to test before I place an order for the real steel.

RCP fans are on the way too.

Hopefully I get it all setup in time for practice on Saturday.

IMG_0718.jpeg

New gearing ratios of the two cars after installing the new mounts:

1709102212711.png

Last edited:
The Practical Prototype Solutions Mount gives me an additional ~6 mm (and more maybe?) to play with! A 19t pinion definitely fits. Printing a few smaller ones to test before I place an order for the real steel.

RCP fans are on the way too.

Hopefully I get it all setup in time for practice on Saturday.

View attachment 351336

New gearing ratios of the two cars after installing the new mounts:

View attachment 351384
Looking beautiful, man! Dude, you should get @Gordo to do up one of those beautiful Delta F1 bodies for you. I’ll bet it’d make it faster! 😊

@Dan B. - Thank you so much! 😊 I like how you think.

I am eyeing those GT bodies but if anybody is up for helping with painting (I can only do single colors myself 😂), please hit me up would love to share ideas and get something going.

The practice got rained out today 😭 (boo) so had to be content with testing out the new motor mount and gear mesh, as well as the improved camber and suspension settings on the street. 🙈 I have to say the car is feeling freaking fantastic. Can’t wait to hit the track again.

I want to get that upper arm mod done - will probably just file the stock ones. Mostly curious if it will really help with steering. It’s still a bear to turn in those tight corners / simulated hairpins.

The diff oils are here so the next runs will be with a spooled front, the modified upper arm/caster, and hopefully the new PMT super soft tires as well. 🙌🏻

IMG_740.jpeg

@Dan B. - Thank you so much! 😊 I like how you think.

I am eyeing those GT bodies but if anybody is up for helping with painting (I can only do single colors myself 😂), please hit me up would love to share ideas and get something going.

The practice got rained out today 😭 (boo) so had to be content with testing out the new motor mount and gear mesh, as well as the improved camber and suspension settings on the street. 🙈 I have to say the car is feeling freaking fantastic. Can’t wait to hit the track again.

I want to get that upper arm mod done - will probably just file the stock ones. Mostly curious if it will really help with steering. It’s still a bear to turn in those tight corners / simulated hairpins.

The diff oils are here so the next runs will be with a spooled front, the modified upper arm/caster, and hopefully the new PMT super soft tires as well. 🙌🏻

View attachment 352125
Your build is looking great! And I see that rear upper mount just crying out for a GT body mount. 😊 What body were you considering?

@Mike-h no worries mate thank you. I went with the RCP fans. You got an amazing build going! Do the GPM arms move the upper pivot balls a little bit forward vs. stock?
The gpm arms are identical to stock, so unfortunately not.. I’d have to look on the bottom arms to see if they’re identically spaced or if they could be flipped to change the castor

Back