rc wheel print

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollogold29

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
hey i was gonna 3d print some wheels for my rc car i am building but i need to know how can you figure out the thread width of a rc car tire to know how big the hole in the wheel needs to be

i was gonna use petg but what i need to know is the width of the borehole my tire needs for the screw to go through so i can tighten the wheels on to be on a 24mm hex

i was gonna use petg but what i need to know is the width of the borehole my tire needs for the screw to go through so i can tighten the wheels on to be on a 24mm hex
PETG probably won’t hold up for long. You’d be better off using a nylon filament. Or ABS, PC, etc. if you can’t use nylon.

I assume arrma 1/5 car since you mentioned 24mm hex. I don’t have one so I can’t help you there. I’m sure someone else will chime in with a measurement. Try posting in the 8S sub-forum if you don’t get an answer today.

That said, I highly doubt any wheel you print, with any filament, will last long on a 1/5 car.

If you don't have a set of digital calipers, those would be an EXCELLENT investment. Both for measuring parts you want to duplicate or mate with, but also to measure what you print, to make settings adjustments. This includes for printing & measuring calibration cubes.

One very-low-budget example: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Caliper-Adoric-Calipers-Measuring/dp/B07DFFYCXS

Though I don't like the plastic ones I've tried (like these), they are less accurate. These ones only read to 0.01", not 0.001", which is a big difference. But, if the budget didn't stretch to ~$20 metal ones, that go to 0.001", these are better than nothing.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they have a metal set (which read to 0.001") for $15. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-digital-caliper-63711.html

Unless it's drift tires or not more than 3s I think it's not worth the effort. PLA and PETG just break too easy for other applications than drifting. TPU would need like 99% infill. (100% often closes your nozzle in large area prints). I think TPU is too soft where the hex is.

I have printed wheels for aeroplanes. PLA for the rim and TPU for the tire. Infill was about 20% in oder to have some softening effect on landing. But those wheels have no drive unit attached. Harder materials like PLA or PETG also splinter on impact and that might be dangerous if a fast spinning wheel starts shooting out plastic splinters when damaged. Especially PETG where splinters are pretty sharp.

Might be best to print a "drift ring" that you fit around an existing tire. And just put it on to do some drifting. Like 0,5cm less diameter than the wheel has and work it onto the wheel.

Kevin Talbot has a video a really cool looking innovative prototype street car that someone sent him to test. Apparently quite a bit of it was 3-D printed. And he didn’t even get to do anything bad to it, he barely gave it full throttle in a parking lot and one wheel blew up and then it hit a little bump and the other two shattered. It was hysterical how this really cool looking prototype car just disintegrated… I mean, they obviously put so much effort into design in the car, it had four motors one at each wheel. But damn, they could not have tested it even once from what I saw.
I’m sure a big part of it is the design, but still, I don’t know too much about 3-D printing, but a wheel has to be pretty tough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back