AWD 3d print

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I designed a chassis around the wltoys 144001 drivetrain using Solidworks for a college class. So far it’s been a fun budget build that really scratches the itch. I plan to make this a kit on 3d cults and Bambu Studio for the ultimate DIYers.

This is version 2.0.

The first version was an 1/8th scale with senton 3s blx electronics. This failed immediately because I used petg. Which has a mediocre impact resistance. In other words it’s brittle. This one is made using ABS and I have yet to see its durability. I plan to use nylon once the design is finished in hopes of strength similar to Arrma plastic. Im sure you know what they mean by Arrma Tough. Until someone makes a 400mm ^3 high temp printer that doesn’t cost a 4 grand, I’ll stick to this smaller 1/14 scale platform.

Anyone know if horizon hobby looking for CAD designers?
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

I designed a chassis around the wltoys 144001 drivetrain using Solidworks for a college class. So far it’s been a fun budget build that really scratches the itch. I plan to make this a kit on 3d cults and Bambu Studio for the ultimate DIYers.

This is version 2.0.

The first version was an 1/8th scale with senton 3s blx electronics. This failed immediately because I used petg. Which has a mediocre impact resistance. In other words it’s brittle. This one is made using ABS and I have yet to see its durability. I plan to use nylon once the design is finished in hopes of strength similar to Arrma plastic. Im sure you know what they mean by Arrma Tough.

Until someone makes a 400mm ^3 high temp printer that doesn’t cost a 4 grand, I’ll stick to this smaller 1/14 scale platform.

View attachment 354731View attachment 354732

View attachment 354730

You are on your way!
The chassis looks quite good.

Should make a Build Thread on this forum (online portfolio) to showcase all your creations. 👍

Several folks on this forum have 400+mm³ & high temp printers..

This is version 2.0.

The first version was an 1/8th scale with senton 3s blx electronics. This failed immediately because I used petg. Which has a mediocre impact resistance. In other words it’s brittle. This one is made using ABS and I have yet to see its durability. I plan to use nylon once the design is finished in hopes of strength similar to Arrma plastic. Im sure you know what they mean by Arrma Tough. Until someone makes a 400mm ^3 high temp printer that doesn’t cost a 4 grand, I’ll stick to this smaller 1/14 scale platform.

View attachment 354731View attachment 354732

View attachment 354730
Nice work 👍

You are on your way!
The chassis looks quite good.

Should make a Build Thread on this forum (online portfolio) to showcase all your creations. 👍

Several folks on this forum have 400+mm³ & high temp printers..
Thanks! I’ll probably add the build once I get the steering done. I have a kobra max but it’s not enclosed and it doesn’t have the capabilities to do nylon. What printers are there that size with high temp capabilities??

Thanks! I’ll probably add the build once I get the steering done. I have a kobra max but it’s not enclosed and it doesn’t have the capabilities to do nylon.

You can also DIY build a enclosure (using 1/2" rigid foam panels) or buy one of those insulated printer tents..
It doesn't have to be fancy to hold in enough heat.

And you can always upgrade the hotend to provide the higher temps.

What printers are there that size with high temp capabilities??

Just a few >>

Ender Extender 400XL
Creality CR-6 Max
Creality CR-M4
Elegoo Neptune 4 Max

(some may need upgrades to achieve the higher temps)

Good job @Slappy

I really like how you designed the shock towers

Perhaps the batterystrap holders could be a little beefer
Haha I thought the same about the battery straps. It seemed like an okay size in solidworks. Thank you for the feedback!!
You can also DIY build a enclosure (using 1/2" rigid foam panels) or buy one of those insulated printer tents..

Just a few >>

Ender Extender 400XL
Creality CR-6 Max
Creality CR-M4
Elegoo Neptune 4 Max

I’ll do some research on these! I just got an Bambulab x1c. I thought that would slow down the ever lasting need for no printers on the farm. Thanks Tex!

Just a few >>

Ender Extender 400XL
Creality CR-6 Max
Creality CR-M4
Elegoo Neptune 4 Max

I’ll check these out. I just got an x1c and I was hoping it would slow down my everlasting need to buy more printers. I think it made it worse haha. Thanks for the info Tex!

Awesome man, love it. You did a great job on the chassis, and it honestly looks very durable compared to a lot of others i've seen!!

Yeah, once you get a good stupid fast amazing printer you'd think it would make you satisfied. It kinda does but you are right it makes you want another, and another. Ive got a BIQU BX, Neptune 4 max, and a Bambu A1 250mm with AMS in the box I haven't had time to mess with. I will be adding another Neptune 4 max for sure in around 6 months when I get my print room built.

Anywho props man, nice chassis. I'm a 3D printing fool lately I got a ton of stuff on here for ya to look at haha.

Last edited:
Back