RCBattery.com 4s Lipo puffing after 3 runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrahbee

Send-Flip-Break-Fix-Repeat 🤙🏼
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Outcast 8s
  8. Outcast EXB
  9. Infraction 4x4
I bought 2 of these about a month ago and 1 is already puffing after only 3 runs. Contacted customer service and they said tough sh!t due to not having original connector. I have a 6s that’s puffing as well but it’s past the 90 day warranty. Is this just run of the mill, random, normal characteristics of lipo batteries?

This one is toast and getting chucked in a bucket of salt water.

02E3AEB7-CDF8-4F09-9ACE-0C6A01C2BDB2.jpeg

19440D88-8C0A-40AC-BE0A-1CB20000CBDF.jpeg

Self water is a myth. Find some way to discharge or take a hammer or an air gun to it. Then look at Smart batteries system. Much cheaper in long run and safer. One burned up car buys lots of Smart batteries.

Discharge with 12 volt buibs.

Self water is a myth. Find some way to discharge or take a hammer or an air gun to it. Then look at Smart batteries system. Much cheaper in long run and safer. One burned up car buys lots of Smart batteries.

Agree, never understood the salt water thing.. Seems messy to me. I just use some landscaping bricks and automotive bulbs.

I'm thinking if the salt water thing is a myth...I might just blast it with my 9mm Ruger. 🔫

I use an air rifle, take several hits sometimes. 9MM adds fun but plan ahead. Lots of intense hit and smoke for a bit depending on charge level. Do not wan to get any of the stuff on you as in splash.

Dang that sucks. I did ask them if I could change connector after buying since they didnt have the lipo with the connector I wanted and they said "NO WARRANTY". So I didn't buy them. The first pair I actually bought was high IR, but luckily they refunded me and made everything right. Use your purchase power and don't buy with them again. Quality speaks for itself.

Use your purchase power and don't buy with them again. Quality speaks for itself.
Absolutely 👍🏼 Been wanting some SMC's and try the new Onyx brand lipos although I'm not much of a speed runner..yet, so it might be overkill.

That’s too bad. I had seen some performance numbers from them and bought a few 3s packs from them. So far they’ve been working really well for me, but I haven’t really run them through that many times since spring is just arriving. Your problems don’t fill me with confidence.

It’s kind of ironic because if the pack puffed, you were pulling some poop out of it, and it was not the freaking connectors fault. A connector is at fault if you can’t draw enough through it and it melts or something.

That said I can understand to some degree their position… There’s a lot of people who have no idea WTF they are doing so they make rules to protect themselves. It is not uncommon. I would not even be surprised if SMC had the same rule… But I don’t know if they do. I have both by the way, and I’m happy with both… Let the cheapest win.

That’s too bad. I had seen some performance numbers from them and bought a few 3s packs from them. So far they’ve been working really well for me, but I haven’t really run them through that many times since spring is just arriving. Your problems don’t fill me with confidence.

It’s kind of ironic because if the pack puffed, you were pulling some poop out of it, and it was not the freaking connectors fault. A connector is at fault if you can’t draw enough through it and it melts or something.

That said I can understand to some degree their position… There’s a lot of people who have no idea WTF they are doing so they make rules to protect themselves. It is not uncommon. I would not even be surprised if SMC had the same rule… But I don’t know if they do. I have both by the way, and I’m happy with both… Let the cheapest win.
Well said. I was careful not to trash the company because I have several of their packs and only 2 are puffing. And yeh I was running those 4s packs in a OC 8s with a Max5 800kv..backyard bashing.

SMC doesn't have that policy thankfully. They also let you choose what connector you want when you order though so. 👌

They also let you choose what connector you want when you order though so. 👌
Heck yeh! 🤟🏼
Just put the checker on it after letting it cool down. 1 dead cell not even showing up.
F1512C83-2EEB-449D-8C5F-781358AEE778.jpeg

SMC doesn't have that policy thankfully. They also let you choose what connector you want when you order though so. 👌
That’s good to know. The only situation I could think of that stupidity could screw them on that is if someone cutting the old connector off and shorting it out because they didn’t understand you can’t cut both wires at the same time with a single set of wire cutters. Even then it’s really going just to spark and scare you as long as you don’t stand there and hold it.

It’s funny I’ve had a whole bunch of random, Amazon, trash, batteries, SMC, liperion, gensacearespammers, lots of infinity graphene little 4s quad batteries…. The only battery that I have ever had a cell just completely poop itself like your showing has been an SMC battery. It was a better battery overall while it was working, and I continue to buy SMC batteries… just pointing out that it can be a statistical crapshoot at times.
The warranty part sucks though!

That’s good to know. The only situation I could think of that stupidity could screw them on that is if someone cutting the old connector off and shorting it out because they didn’t understand you can’t cut both wires at the same time with a single set of wire cutters. Even then it’s really going just to spark and scare you as long as you don’t stand there and hold it.

It’s funny I’ve had a whole bunch of random, Amazon, trash, batteries, SMC, liperion, gensacearespammers, lots of infinity graphene little 4s quad batteries…. The only battery that I have ever had a cell just completely poop itself like your showing has been an SMC battery. It was a better battery overall while it was working, and I continue to buy SMC batteries… just pointing out that it can be a statistical crapshoot at times.
The warranty part sucks though!
haha it was actually @djrahbee who made the thread but I agree with you. I received an smc 4s lipo that was basically fully charged. They talked me into keeping it and trying it anyway so I did. IR was a little worse than the other 4s lipo I bought it with but I used it. After about 2 months that pack puffed up. Not as bad as the op's pictures but bad enough I didn't feel comfortable using it. Thankfully they sent me a new one, still one of my fav brands though.

I can attest that the salt water does nothing, weeks in the bucket most of the wires rusted off the tabs but there was still like 2v per cell on the cell I could still check.

12v light bulb works great.

Based on the 3.6V, you simply ran them into the ground. High C batteries don't like it. At the end of run, your lipo should be in the 3.7V range to keep it healthy. That is my guess.
45VC is considered high for them, they don't inflate the C ratings like all others.

If you keep running to LVC, this is what you will get.
Cheaper '100C' types are in a realistic 15C range, and they can take the low voltage a little better, they just get there a lot quicker.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back