Outcast Rear diff case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey man, no need to get bent. I wasn't "trying" anything. Arrma is known for two things: durability and ease of maintenance. I don't think there is much of a debate on that, especially with the 6s trucks. I don't own stock in Arrma or Horizon, so I honestly don"t care
Push the 2 bearings together then slide the diff assembly into the housing using the U shaped grooves. That's where you're going wrong. Nothing is broken you just haven't figured out how to reassemble it back correctly yet. Patience, you'll get it.

I've already installed the new pinion. Purchased the 3 parts that are all connected together, cuz I stripped the screw and couldn't remove any of it. The gear, case and the thing the rear center drive shaft fits into.

Another thought, you said the diff pinion exploded, it looks like there is quite a bit of grease in the lower right corner of the pic, could there be a chuck of the old gear or something stuck in the grease that is preventing it from sliding into place?

No, I had to purchase the case, pinion and rear center drive cuz I stripped the screw. I realise now I don't have the shim.

@Mr.Duke nailed it in his pics above, the bearing isn't seated in the channel correctly.

And another thing.....there are 2 different sizes of pinion.....you have the 10 tooth with (spiral?) curved tooth on it and you have the 13t straight tooth pinion. You can not interchange a straight tooth pinion on a curve tooth crown gear.....
Make sure that you have fitted the correct pinion to make the correct combination of pinion/crown gear. If you are trying to make a straight cut pinion to fit on a spiral curved crown gear ....that will never fit and will come out crooked in your diff case.

As said.....make sure you have the correct pinion.....i thought that the notorious/Outcast had the spiral cut gears....and the typhon or Talion (i am not sure) had the straight cut gears .....correct me if i’m wrong...also partly :p

Last edited:
And another thing.....there are 2 different sizes of pinion.....you have the 10 tooth with (spiral?) curved tooth on it and you have the 13t straight tooth pinion. You can not interchange a straight tooth pinion on a curve tooth crown gear.....
Make sure that you have fitted the correct pinion to make the correct combination of pinion/crown gear. If you are trying to make a straight cut pinion to fit on a spiral curved crown gear ....that will never fit and will come out crooked in your diff case.

Senton and Typhon both have the 13t and the Talion, Kraton, Outcast/Notorious have the 10t spiral cut pinion

After blowing up the pic to get a better look at the pinion....
I think you may have actually nailed it.... looks like the 13t straight cut gear installed instead of the 10 tooth

MountainHiker,
Count the teeth on the newly installed diff pinion, there should be 10

I looked also at both pictures from MountainHiker and the other one.....you can see the differences in pinions...the first one has a straight cut pinion.....the other one with the perfectly shimmed pinion and crown gear are spiral cut gears. But if you are trying to make a straight cut pinion to fit a spiral cut crown gear.....you can try what you want...but it wil never fit....

I looked also at both pictures from MountainHiker and the other one.....you can see the differences in pinions...the first one has a straight cut pinion.....the other one with the perfectly shimmed pinion and crown gear are spiral cut gears. But if you are trying to make a straight cut pinion to fit a spiral cut crown gear.....you can try what you want...but it wil never fit....

That's news to me. I'm fairly new and this is Disappointing to hear, but thanks. Will have to check it out. Just asked my local hobby store what I needed. That's what they gave me

You need part# AR310498
It looks like you have part# AR310468,
can you confirm?

Confirmed. The one on the right, is the straight one. Thanks again.
15453673849731517562216.jpg

Well hopefully the hobby store will let you exchange it for the right one.
And here is a link to the parts explosion for the Outcast bookmark this or save it someplace, I can't even count how many times I reference this.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/exploded-views/AR106032.pdf

Last edited:
Push the 2 bearings together then slide the diff assembly into the housing using the U shaped grooves. That's where you're going wrong. Nothing is broken you just haven't figured out how to reassemble it back correctly yet. Patience, you'll get it.

I got all the replacements, but I can't get the shim in without bending it.

What does your whole case look like? I had to get a replacement and at first I was told they discontinued it, then they said the part number was changed. I can tell the new one is different. The screws don't fit where they came out of. I have 2 shims on the left side, still acting up. After I get off work, I'm going to try a 3rd and see if that keeps it from slipping. That's the only way the diff slides in. I've been trying for 4 weeks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back