Typhon Rear Diff Mesh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 6s
I continue to work on the beat up 6s Typhon I picked up and the rear diff sounds off. I think the gear is meshed properly, but under load it sounds like the teeth are chattering/skipping.

There's no lateral movement in the diff and the pinion doesn't move in/out.

Here's a quick vid of the diff. I don't have one of the car driving, but can do that if it would be more helpful.

That looks loose to me, I would check for cracks in the diff case/cover, if that checks out add a shim to the ring gear side until your mesh is looking 💯

Are you just using stock Arrma Gaskets? No chance two got stuck in there?

That looks loose to me, I would check for cracks in the diff case/cover, if that checks out add a shim to the ring gear side until your mesh is looking 💯

Are you just using stock Arrma Gaskets? No chance two got stuck in there?
Oh, you know what, I didn't even think to check to see if it had a gasket! 🥴

I continue to work on the beat up 6s Typhon I picked up and the rear diff sounds off. I think the gear is meshed properly, but under load it sounds like the teeth are chattering/skipping.

There's no lateral movement in the diff and the pinion doesn't move in/out.

Here's a quick vid of the diff. I don't have one of the car driving, but can do that if it would be more helpful.

While you have it out

Remove the input gear, put a shim in there, and put it back together like you have it. I also have the differential cover seated on correctly to test correctly. Between adding shims to the ring gear and shimming the input gear, I am able to find the right spot between those two; I just have a little tick of movement like what you are doing not as much as you have.

I do this to all my 6S rigs. The rear needs to be solid since it takes the most power.

Take this with a grain of salt. I will even fair a little bit tighter but not binding. I know when running it and when I service it next, it will all seat in perfectly. Those are for rigs I have done over and over well past the break-in stage.

I had a similar issue. Awful noises. The input gear looked fine. I replaced it with a new one, and a new bulkhead, and it was perfect. Diffs are the hardest part for me. So persnickety.

Back