Reinforce/Strengthen Bodies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use drywall tape and silicone.
I vary the amount of layers depending how hard it's beaten.

My Typhon, I wanted light so 1 layer.
My Granite was the first body I reinforced, so that got 4 layers.

Everything else got 2 layers.View attachment 332058
what do you spread the silicone with? and how do you handle that nasty ass smell lol

After doing a few, some with Gorilla tape, some with drywall tape and ShoeGoo, I finally asked why I was wasting my time doing it. It does help the body to keep from tearing, but doesn’t really add that much extra life to them in the greater scheme of things, and it makes them a lot heavier.
But I really enjoy painting my own bodies, and by the time one gets destroyed I’m pretty much looking forward to doing the next one.
I agree, it adds weight and stresses out where the body meets the post. A body is a disposable item. I always run my stock body, and have my custom body for lookin at. :cool:

It has a smell at first but no where near as strong as the shoe goo. Its dry to the touch after about an hour and it's fully cured usually in about 1 day.
Nice.

The stuff I bought smelled soooooooo bad. My house smelled for at least a day and I had stuck it in my shed, it still smelled 2 weeks later. I haven't checked on it in a while but the last time I check it it was still wet and I put that stuff on it like a month ago.

what do you spread the silicone with? and how do you handle that nasty ass smell lol
The Lepage Quad is no where near as bad as shoe goo, but I do know some of the silicones can have a real strong bad smell. I just wear a rubber glove and spread it on by hand. Let's you really squeeze it into all the inside shapes.

Nice.

The stuff I bought smelled soooooooo bad. My house smelled for at least a day and I had stuck it in my shed, it still smelled 2 weeks later. I haven't checked on it in a while but the last time I check it it was still wet and I put that stuff on it like a month ago.
What did you use? I know the silicones that are rain ready within hours have a really potent smell but don't know why it wouldn't have dried yet. Might be a bad batch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back