Ripple voltage questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the capability of the esc is also part of the problem? I don't know what the gearing is like but castle explicitly states on their website

"Not recommended for use in high speed 1/8th and larger applications (IE Arrma Infraction and Limitless, Traxxas XO-1)"

Maybe the cap pack will be a bandaid?
He just needs to bring down ripple below 10% of the Lipo packs voltage.
A Cap pack is best when it uses caps that are double the rated voltage capacity of the Lipo.. 50 volt caps will cover most 6s applications easily enough. Also the higher the MicroFarads the better. More caps increase the MicroFarad rating. Yeah they always need to be soldered within one inch of the ESC's PCB, in a perfect world like stated above. Resistance can reduce the effectiveness. Connectors are good to have so you can swap out the cap pack. Some Caps go bad after a while. I always check their temps with a temp gun. They can shoot up to 150F. And make sure the cap's tops did not split/ vent out. Look closely. Then that cap is bricked.
I build my own cap packs.
My latest set of 6 caps are rated at 50v/3,300 uf's/microfarad each. Combined that is 19, 800 microfarads. This is technically the total combined capacity of the cap pack.
I always felt that 16,000 MicroFarads combined across the cap pack is the absolute minimum required for most any speed run rig.
I don't believe the lipo type has much to do with Ripple. It is something inherent to the ESC alone. Of course crappy lipos when speed running will cause other issues like amp cutting etc. A different issue altogether.
Caps can be a difficult topic. Many differing views with them.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back