Rlaarlo Omni Terminator Monster Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy has one and it is a fun rig. He had to wait to wait a looooooooooooong time to get a replacement drive shaft though.

EDIT** Looks like replacement parts for it are on amazon now. Definitely a good buy!

I agree with you there, the Terminator hands down has a better diff & mount setup than the flux.
I wonder if the pitch of the center spur gear is 48p ? The shaft for the pinion gear is 3.175 . It probably is but I’d have to take it to apart and measure . I seen Amazon has some 5 packs of 24t -28T that look the same while the Rlaarlo website is $$13 for one pinion but 5 hardened is also the same price .

I wonder if the pitch of the center spur gear is 48p ? The shaft for the pinion gear is 3.175 . It probably is but I’d have to take it to apart and measure . I seen Amazon has some 5 packs of 24t -28T that look the same while the Rlaarlo website is $$13 for one pinion but 5 hardened is also the same price .
To mesh correctly, pinion and spur will have to be the same pitch or MOD. Price varies depending on the quality of the pinion gear.

1715415187856.png

I got my 2 carbon terminators last week, set both of them up for bigger batteries, did a better job than the official how too video, worked out a treat. The cars are great for what they are, though my problem with both of them is the drag brake or engine braking as it were,....when I lift off the accelerator the thing goes into hard braking, without me touching the brake, so much so that it goes end over end the second I lift accelerator, I've never once used the brake. I've seen on some Youtube videos that they can and indeed do 'roll' upon lifting the accelerator, but both of mine don't. I set my sons one up for 2s, exactly the same, it renders them almost undriveable.
I have the 8 channel transmitter, not set it up yet, don't think it will make a difference, think I'll need to buy 2 ESC's
Anyone had/got the same symptoms with a possible cure?

@the-D-
Rlaarlo website list the 60a ESC as having 2 modes. I will look into it when I get home, doing Mother's day activities currently.

I can assure you those Amazon pinions are not hardened and are probably made out of cheese.

@the-D-
Rlaarlo website list the 60a ESC as having 2 modes. I will look into it when I get home, doing Mother's day activities currently.
I'm at work right now putting a couple of hours in, had a look at the manual that comes with it, and it does say something about 2 modes, didn't have time to get right into it though

So far both these Amazon Chinesium pinions have been working. I have been swapping gears every 3-4 minutes of run time so no real long term testing. They look like new and my other ones stripped in the same amount of time.

Haosie RC Motor Gear, 48DP 5mm Pinion Gear Set, 5PCS Steel Shaft Hole Gear, 20T 22T 24T 26T 28T Climbing Car Gear Accessories for 1/10 RC Truck Climbing Car https://a.co/d/bnFczEG

So after fighting motor heat, ESC cogging and 2200mah battery heat I finally have a combo I like. So a hobbywing 10bl120 with 3660 2600kv 5mm motor and 26T/28T pinion. I have reasonable temps across the electronics, decent performance and not over weight. Weight is a huge issue with this truck as it hurts the durability.

Now onto why you should not buy this Chinese Garbage. My diff cups are starting to go. Not just the out drives but the dog bones to.

PXL_20240513_010413796~2.jpg

Absolute crap, finally get it dialed in enough that it's fun to drive and going to need parts ASAP. Rlaarlo makes junk, brand is way below HBX/Wltoys I thought my Wltoys took a crap fast. These cheap trucks should be able to go more than 10 packs before needing driveline parts.

To mesh correctly, pinion and spur will have to be the same pitch or MOD. Price varies depending on the quality of the pinion gear.

View attachment 365838
I popped in the 27T , seems fine and silent again . I didn’t use paper this time , went all the way tight and just a wee little bit out seems perfect . Thanks for the help . I appreciate it .

So far both these Amazon Chinesium pinions have been working. I have been swapping gears every 3-4 minutes of run time so no real long term testing. They look like new and my other ones stripped in the same amount of time.

Haosie RC Motor Gear, 48DP 5mm Pinion Gear Set, 5PCS Steel Shaft Hole Gear, 20T 22T 24T 26T 28T Climbing Car Gear Accessories for 1/10 RC Truck Climbing Car https://a.co/d/bnFczEG

So after fighting motor heat, ESC cogging and 2200mah battery heat I finally have a combo I like. So a hobbywing 10bl120 with 3660 2600kv 5mm motor and 26T/28T pinion. I have reasonable temps across the electronics, decent performance and not over weight. Weight is a huge issue with this truck as it hurts the durability.

Now onto why you should not buy this Chinese Garbage. My diff cups are starting to go. Not just the out drives but the dog bones to.

View attachment 366184

Absolute crap, finally get it dialed in enough that it's fun to drive and going to need parts ASAP. Rlaarlo makes junk, brand is way below HBX/Wltoys I thought my Wltoys took a crap fast. These cheap trucks should be able to go more than 10 packs before needing driveline parts.
I agree .

View attachment 366184

I ended up getting the same pinions . Thanks . I

I agree with everything you mentioned.
HBX uses better quality parts than Rlaarlo and Hypergo. Hypergo, like Rlaarlo, uses lower quality materials that are thickened up so that when people see a beefy car, they're attracted to it without considering the weight-to-durability ratio regarding fragility, in my opinion. A car that's too heavy becomes fragile, which is why my 2997a drives over obstacles and deflects crashes beautifully, most of the time, while the Terminator just destroys everything due to its weight, as it caves in on itself. HBX uses higher quality but lighter parts, rather than thick, heavy, and lower quality parts. Despite what youtubers say about the 2997a and Terminator comparisons, the 2997a is just as durable as the Omni but in different ways as it does not have significant mass to destroy itself like the Terminator. The 2997a is a much better jumper than the Omni, tending to glide further and landing softer. The 2997a climbs over obstacles much better than the Terminator as well. The terminator drive cups wear ultra fast, I am thinking they wear as fast as a 1/8 scale buggy on a race week. I've decided to stop bashing the terminator and use it as a recon, test, modding vehicle, mounting a camera and a 2W VTX, 2.4GHz at 1 watt, and 900MHz at 2 watts if I need to go further than 2 miles. I have had more fun modding and testing this car basically using it as a long range fpv ground explorer tool instead of a basher.
I expected more out of Rlaarlo after all the reviews. Agree the HBX metal drivetrain is a lot better than Hypergo's composite metal but still within reason if you don't upgrade too much. My HBX 16889a pro is still going strong after over 200 jumps. If only HBX made the battery tray bigger...

Can't say the same about Wltoys....124019 handles well, just don't hit anything including a strong breeze.

I expected more out of Rlaarlo after all the reviews. Agree the HBX metal drivetrain is a lot better than Hypergo's composite metal but still within reason if you don't upgrade too much. My HBX 16889a pro is still going strong after over 200 jumps. If only HBX made the battery tray bigger...

Can't say the same about Wltoys....124019 handles well, just don't hit anything including a strong breeze.
I also remember seeing a derby city vid on YouTube comparing the two and he s all for the hbx plastic .

I also remember seeing a derby city vid on YouTube comparing the two and he s all for the hbx plastic .
I got the HBX 16889a pro based on YT videos including Derby city claiming virtually indestructible. Wanted to test for myself....only destroyed 2 body shells so far. The car is light and plastic is flexible...its still going. Got it to work on my jumping skills as bad landings on the Kraton almost never ended well.

I had the same experience with my 144001. It handled well enough but everything is made of cheese. I replaced as much as I could with Lc Racing parts.

I had the same experience with my 144001. It handled well enough but everything is made of cheese. I replaced as much as I could with Lc Racing parts.
I should have done that. I went another direction. Got spare parts enough to build 2 more rigs. What cant be resolved with a hammer, I replace. M1 gearing is the only thing holding up in the drivetrain. On the plus side, parts are cheap. Onroad only now...don't want the headache of attempting to bash it offroad anymore.

Finally had an acceptable failure, slid on its roof backwards into a curb at 30+mph. Totally chinesium 7075 since it cracked. The shock is somehow fine? Going to hammer it out after I swap front and rear diffs to cut down on drive cup wear.

1715725689627.png

1715725641845.png

I should have done that. I went another direction. Got spare parts enough to build 2 more rigs. What cant be resolved with a hammer, I replace. M1 gearing is the only thing holding up in the drivetrain. On the plus side, parts are cheap. Onroad only now...don't want the headache of attempting to bash it offroad anymore.

The gearing on mine is mod 0.7 and last time I checked there were like 3 different pinions that would even work with the car.

Finally had an acceptable failure, slid on its roof backwards into a curb at 30+mph. Totally chinesium 7075 since it cracked. The shock is somehow fine? Going to hammer it out after I swap front and rear diffs to cut down on drive cup wear.

View attachment 366503
View attachment 366502
MC2 7075 cracks too. Ask me how I know.
Awkward George Costanza GIF

I got the HBX 16889a pro based on YT videos including Derby city claiming virtually indestructible. Wanted to test for myself....only destroyed 2 body shells so far. The car is light and plastic is flexible...its still going. Got it to work on my jumping skills as bad landings on the Kraton almost never ended well.
I ve had the 16980sa for a few months . It’s fun on 2s and a little crazy on 3s . I think that’s what sheared the 4 rear diff screws 😂. She’s all fixed but the remote only goes 20 ft so it wasn’t the controller as of today , hbx sent me one , so it should be the esc and receiver . It’s $25 on Amazon . I hate to bother them again . They already sent me 3 times to honor their 90 day parts warranty . My brothers has been perfect so far , about the same usage . The rlaarlo 1/14 brushless truggy on sale for $123 is a lot better all the way . I’ve been driving that one daily and the cf OT . Waiting for something still .

True. Stock is Mod 0.7, the unicorn of pinions. Only found 15,17,19 and 27(stock). Limited options.
I really wish they would have used a standard pitch, I honestly see no reason why they went with mod 0.7

Back