Kraton Run Time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys just wondering how much run time are you guys getting on the kraton with a single 6s battery. and what MAH are you guyes running to get that run time. im looking at some SMC batteries and am trying to decide if the 4500mah is good or should i get the 5400mah. if i get the 4500 i can buy 3 if i get the 5400 i can buy 2. but if the 5400 is that much better then i would like those. still new to the electric side of things here, all these numbers and discharge rates and what not are confusing lol. Thanks in advance guys!

I run a max amp 5450 mh 6 s and get +- 30 min run time.

Thanks for the quick replies. i think i have decided to go with the 5400's. they are 134amp 90c discharge. those arnt to much for the stock esc are they? as far as amp and discharge go?

Thanks for the quick replies. i think i have decided to go with the 5400's. they are 134amp 90c discharge. those arnt to much for the stock esc are they? as far as amp and discharge go?
I think the stock esc has a 120amp? look it up though

The amp rating on the battery has nothing to do with the ESC so don't worry. That is the battery rating of how many amps you can safely discharge it at (MAH * C rating). So those batteries can discharge, continuously, up to 486 amps (5.4A * 90). Or at least they should. I question it because of SMC's spec of 134A / 90C. The 90C might be their burst rating and 134a their continuous, or about 25C. 25C would be more in line with their cost structure to other batteries. For example, most others are $120-150 for 45C +

When looking at your ESC rating it has solely to do with your motor. You'd match a ESC that has a greater output than the motor's rated amperage. Of course you still want to pick a battery that has a discharge rate higher than your motor could demand of it.

I haven't used SMC but I've seen people say good things about them in this forum. I was considering them when I need new ones, but now I question them with the whole is it actually a 25C battery and not 90C (Considering 60C is about the highest you see in this size battery atm, I'm inclined to believe 25C is actually SMC's rating). The brand I've been personally using for years in my helicopters is Glacier 45C from Buddy RC. I just bought this truggy and plan to use my Glacier 6S 4400 45C. Won't have the chance to solder my EC5 on the kraton ESC until this weekend to try them out.

Seeing as you new to batteries, I'm curious what charger are you using.

Last edited:
The amp rating on the battery has nothing to do with the ESC so don't worry. That is the battery rating of how many amps you can safely discharge it at (MAH * C rating). So those batteries can discharge, continuously, up to 486 amps (5.4A * 90). Or at least they should. I question it because of SMC's spec of 134A / 90C. The 90C might be their burst rating and 134a their continuous, or about 25C. 25C would be more in line with their cost structure to other batteries. For example, most others are $120-150 for 45C +
That is kind of the whole point of the "True Spec" batteries - all battery companies lie about C-rating. The best packs out there apparently are about 32C-35C - but are being sold at 100C-150C packs. SMC is trying to inject some 'truth in advertising" here. They list a C-rating that compares to what other companies would list the same cell at, but then guarantee the amp capabilities (by using a test that is no where near real world usage... but better than nothing.)

As for the battery ruining the ESC, JR is correct. The motor determines the AMPS, drawn, not the ESC or battery. They just try their best to supply what the motor is demanding. If they can't keep up with motor demands, then they will overheat and/or fail.

When looking at your ESC rating it has solely to do with your motor. You'd match a ESC that has a greater output than the motor's rated amperage. Of course you still want to pick a battery that has a discharge rate higher than your motor could demand of it.

I haven't used SMC but I've seen people say good things about them in this forum. I was considering them when I need new ones, but now I question them with the whole is it actually a 25C battery and not 90C (Considering 60C is about the highest you see in this size battery atm, I'm inclined to believe 25C is actually SMC's rating). The brand I've been personally using for years in my helicopters is Glacier 45C from Buddy RC. I just bought this truggy and plan to use my Glacier 6S 4400 45C. Won't have the chance to solder my EC5 on the kraton ESC until this weekend to try them out.

Seeing as you new to batteries, I'm curious what charger are you using.[

Thanks for the info. I didnt uderstand how all that worked, but as to what charger im using i have a i have a hitec mulicharger x4 80. charges up to 6s and can charge/discharge 4 at a time. i bought it at a race about 6 months ago when i was roaming the pits looking for someone to charge my 2s lipo bc my 40$ charger kicked the bucket on me lol.

I have a brand called Exylion Power, 6s 4200mAh 45C; and so far I get 30-35 minutes running on asphalt/gravel/light snow and 10-15 running in snow. A wild guess is that the difference is the result of snow getting into every corner making it heavier and also adding friction to the axles.

Last edited:
Jus bought a pair of hobbystar 8000mah 4s 100c for 108$ or how we in the UK say £80 I hope I'll get a long run time on them any one else used Hobbystar before

That is kind of the whole point of the "True Spec" batteries - all battery companies lie about C-rating. The best packs out there apparently are about 32C-35C - but are being sold at 100C-150C packs. SMC is trying to inject some 'truth in advertising" here. They list a C-rating that compares to what other companies would list the same cell at, but then guarantee the amp capabilities (by using a test that is no where near real world usage... but better than nothing.)

As for the battery ruining the ESC, JR is correct. The motor determines the AMPS, drawn, not the ESC or battery. They just try their best to supply what the motor is demanding. If they can't keep up with motor demands, then they will overheat and/or fail.
Yup like Jerry stated pretty much any C rating over 35c is made up. https://www.facebook.com/smcracing/posts/1408746142491194 This is one of the reasons I laugh at those people who buy Maxamps batteries.

I got my Kraton v3 a few weeks ago and SMC has a 6s 7400mah battery specifically for the Arrma vehicles. It had the XT90 connectors and all and is a perfect fit. Like a soft pack but with G10 plates (hard plastic) all around. So some hard protection but still skinny enough to fit in the new battery tray. As for run time it’s been 45min+ for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back