Rusted Spektrum motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyrickCZE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Senton 3s
Hello everyone.

So my son sunk the Granite in the lake. It was there for about 20minutes before I managed to bring it back to shore.
Next day I dissasembled most of it and then it was on the direct sun for 2 days.

Unfortunately, I did not open the motor case so yesterday when we did first runs it was acting strange, motor was cogging at low speeds.

Long story story, I opened the case today and found it to be rusty inside.
I will replace the bearings while Im on it, but Im here for an advice please - how would you suggest to clean the stator and the rotor, without damaging it?
I have no idea if its okay to sand it or whatever.

Thank you!
20230723_202243.jpg

20230723_202218.jpg

Steel wool and electrical contact cleaner. And a you mentioned new bearings.

I’d personally be too scared to use steel wool. If I were doing it, I could easily see myself scratching the rotor wrap and leaving tiny metal shreds behind to short out the windings.
I‘d probably go contact cleaner with a gentle brush and some good ceramic hybrid bearings.

Thank you guys,
I will start with some gentle brushing then.

Should I be able to remove the other motor can cap? (opposite side of the wires).
I tried hammering it out from inside but it won't move.
Do I need bigger hammer? : )

Also, regarding bearings - localy I can find 5x16x5 ceramic from Niio Bearings and from AVID.
But none of them says if its hybrid, I don't even know what that means?

The front motor cap is also held is place with a couple of small screws (3 or 4 of them).
If you give the motor cap a good amount of heat (torch sigarette lighter) is expands a little bit. Sometimes the bearing will fal out as a result, otherwise you'll need to tap it out with a hammer.

"Hybrid ceramic" bearings look like 'normal' bearings with a (stainless) steel or rubber sealed casing, but have ceramic inner ball bearings.
"Full ceramic" bearings are made entirely of ceramic. Those are pretty unusual, so in the 'RC world' hybrd ceramic bearings are usually just named ceramic bearings.

There is no screws on the front cap, well at least not any visible.
But I was able to get out the bearing without removing the cap, so I guess it stays there for now.

Thanks for the bearings info.

To me surprise though, the front bigger bearing was not steel covered (2Z or ZZ) but one side has rubber, is that good idea inside a hot motor?
I have pretty good gearbox sealing, do you think I can just go with 2Z bearings?

I think your motor will die before it can reach a temperature high enough to melt the rubber bearings seal. ;)
If you have both options though I would go (stainless) steel as those have less friction (less heat, more efficient) than rubber sealed bearings, and you don't need the additional dirt protection that rubber seals give as you said.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back