S.S.T.Y.H.D.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the smoke out of a XT90s connector on battery side. Fried the antispark resistor and melted plastic inside connector. Note to self: Ensure the connectors are fully plugged in when charging.
Lesson learnt.

OK. This might not be the stupidest thing Ive done in RC but its close. Today I was out in the street driving my Kraton 4s with my neighbor that bought my Outcast 4s. Well we traded cars and remotes for a minute so I could try to diagnose what he was saying it was doing. I didnt really notice anything so I handed him the remote and he handed me mine. Well apparently my brain glitched and I was still looking at his Outcast and was wondering why it wasnt moving. A few seconds later I hear a huge crash sound and turn around to see what it was and it was my Kraton going basically full throttle in reverse into a curb. It was only then that I realized why his Outcast wasnt moving. :confused: :cautious:. The funny thing is that he did the same thing and was wondering why the Kraton was running in reverse into the curb. I immediately knew "stuff" was broken due to the sound of a pinion grinding. So I went and assessed the damage visible and saw the rear "bumper" was broken. Not much of a bumper but thats what Arrma calls it. I also noticed I had forgotten the 2 screws that mount the bumper to the shock tower. So Im sure that didnt help.

Anyway after getting it in the house and seeing what was bad I immediately noticed the motor was no longer parallel with the chassis. It was "off". You can see what I mean in pic #2. I also saw a gap between the mount and the motor. (Pic #3). So I took the motor mount cover off and saw I had bent the Arrma adjustable mount. I remember reading a thread awhile back where a few members said it takes a special touch to be able to bent a motor mount so I guess thats the bright side?? Thankfully I had all the extra parts I needed to repair the damage. I installed an Outcast rear bumper for now, and swapped in the HR motor mount. So I would say considering how hard I hit that curb I got pretty lucky. At first I was worried I had bent the actual motor shaft but it survived. Anyway thats my SSTYHD story. Pics below.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

20200828_022142.jpg

First week I stepped into RC. After a full throttle the car has a grinding sound, released the acceleration, so far so good, and the car come to a stop with grinding sound. Picked up the car a gave a bit of throttle, still same sound. Then thought would think a lot of times, maybe this can be solved with force. Gave a few full throttles. long story short, burning smell from motor. Went home, opened the motor and bearing was almost complete gone. LHS said maybe I got a bad bearing, since this should not have happened within 4 battery runs. Got a new motor under warranty, but pretty stupid anyway. Strange sound from electronics, do not solve them by doing the same and with power. Second thing I did was buy thermal pad, heatsink, fans and hybrid ceramic bearings, cause driving a lot without them when it’s 35C (95F) doesn’t help either.
Other thing that probably a lot of noobs did was swear a lot at pinions coming lose only to figure out what the flat part on the motor shaft is for...?

Last edited:
First week I stepped into RC. After a full throttle the car has a grinding sound, released the acceleration, so far so good, and the car come to a stop with grinding sound. Picked up the car a gave a bit of throttle, still same sound. Then thought would think a lot of times, maybe this can be solved with force. Gave a few full throttles. long story short, burning smell from motor. Went home, opened the motor and bearing was almost complete gone. LHS said maybe I got a bad bearing, since this should not have happened within 4 battery runs. Got a new motor under warranty, but pretty stupid anyway. Strange sound from electronics, do not solve them by doing the same and with power. Second thing I did was buy thermal paste, heatsink, fans and hybrid ceramic bearings, cause driving a lot without them when it’s 35C (95F) doesn’t help either.
Other thing that probably a lot of noobs did was swear a lot at pinions coming lose only to figure out what the flat part on the motor shaft is for...?

The last part of your post just reminded me of something. I kept having pinions come loose no matter what thread lock I was using. I knew what the flat spot was for but what was happening was I was putting the pinion on too far so the set screw was hitting the rounded part and not the flat. So they just kept coming loose until I realized what was happening.

Melted the grub inside the pinion???
Takes a lot of heat to melt a steel grub screw.... ?‍♂️

Removed my servo that I had already upgraded on my Senton to install the Kimbrough 124 saver. Did the trimming on the k124 and screwed it on the servo using the same screw from the arrma saver. Trouble is, the k124 has a deeper inset for the screw, making the screw way too long. Put it all back together, plugged in a battery and turned it on. The servo started wacking out, went full right, and proceeded to strip before I could get it turned off. Apparently the screw bottomed out and kept going, pushing against the circuit boardo_O. Just got my DS3225 servo that I'll be putting in today.

@typhon#5 Something getting lost in translation, that screw is steel and if you do melt that one you have a major fire on your hand before that even turns warm. :unsure:
Picture would be cool, no pun intended, if it's true you will get a million hits, if not we will just smack you ?

Removed my servo that I had already upgraded on my Senton to install the Kimbrough 124 saver. Did the trimming on the k124 and screwed it on the servo using the same screw from the arrma saver. Trouble is, the k124 has a deeper inset for the screw, making the screw way too long. Put it all back together, plugged in a battery and turned it on. The servo started wacking out, went full right, and proceeded to strip before I could get it turned off. Apparently the screw bottomed out and kept going, pushing against the circuit boardo_O. Just got my DS3225 servo that I'll be putting in today.
I did that once many years ago. Can't recall the servo, but it wasn't a cheap one and it was brand new... I about threw up as I realized what I did. Except, I was drilling it out to tap it and use a proper 3mm screw... the drill got away from me a bit, but I thought I was ok... I was not.

Might not be one of the stupidest things Ive done, but it wasnt exactly smart. Yesterday I was out bashing around my block and had a rickety jump I had made with a plastic storage bin, a cardboard box, and a piece of plywood. Despite being rigged it works great. Anyway I normally don't go for huge air because its on the street and I am running out of replacement parts. But last night I attracted a huge group of "Zombies" (Kids). Talbot calls them zombies. Anyway they were of course amazed at the jumps, backflips, etc. But they wanted higher, faster, cooler, etc. So I decided to go a bit faster this time on the jump and was amazed at how high it got off of such a simple jump. Anyway it went WAY higher than I expected and when it landed I immediately knew all was not OK. The rear shock tower split in half, the rear bumper broke in half, and I bent both rear tie rods. So that ended the night. Thankfully once again I had all the parts I needed to fix them, and straightened the tie rods. But like I said Im running out of extras so will probably take it easy for awhile. At least until I can start replenishing parts. Pics below. Moral of the story is don't show off for kids unless you are ready and able to fix some stuff. Because no matter what you make the truck do the kids will not stay impressed and will want MORE!!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Might not be one of the stupidest things Ive done, but it wasnt exactly smart.

That comment made my day! Reminded me of when the two roughnecks are talking on Deepwater Horizon near the beginning of the movie, "I don't know if it's stupid, but it ain't smart". Never heard the phrase before, but the first meeting I'm in at work, I'm sure to be able to use it at least 3-4 times an hour.

Also had another one in that movie, "Hope ain't a tactic". Kind of feel like that one fits with what's going on these days...

I think I've seen that movie 5+ times at this point... one of my favorites.

Might not be one of the stupidest things Ive done, but it wasnt exactly smart. Yesterday I was out bashing around my block and had a rickety jump I had made with a plastic storage bin, a cardboard box, and a piece of plywood. Despite being rigged it works great. Anyway I normally don't go for huge air because its on the street and I am running out of replacement parts. But last night I attracted a huge group of "Zombies" (Kids). Talbot calls them zombies. Anyway they were of course amazed at the jumps, backflips, etc. But they wanted higher, faster, cooler, etc. So I decided to go a bit faster this time on the jump and was amazed at how high it got off of such a simple jump. Anyway it went WAY higher than I expected and when it landed I immediately knew all was not OK. The rear shock tower split in half, the rear bumper broke in half, and I bent both rear tie rods. So that ended the night. Thankfully once again I had all the parts I needed to fix them, and straightened the tie rods. But like I said Im running out of extras so will probably take it easy for awhile. At least until I can start replenishing parts. Pics below. Moral of the story is don't show off for kids unless you are ready and able to fix some stuff. Because no matter what you make the truck do the kids will not stay impressed and will want MORE!!

View attachment 97111View attachment 97112View attachment 97113View attachment 97114View attachment 97115
At least its good to see there was a good amount of grease in there. (y) :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back