Kraton Savox 1210SG Servo Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stampederfan

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ordered a V3 this morning and know I will need a servo and mount upgrade at some point.

Am thinking about picking up a Savox SW-1210SG servo as an upgrade but I have four questions:
  1. It’s rated at 277 oz torque @ 6V - I see a lot of folks suggesting over 300 oz which this doesn’t have. I’m planning on running Backflips for summer and a slightly wider tire for winter (unselected a this point) and it will see a fair bit of snow so waterproof is important. I will be running a Dusty Motors shroud in the winter to keep the snow from packing up around the electronics. Does this servo have enough torque for my application?

2. Do I need an external BEC with the stock BLX185 ESC? Seems like I should be fine to run without one since it’s 6V. If the stock ESC croaks in the future I’ll probably go Castle.

3. Will this servo fit the standard size GKA servo mount or will I need the extended mount?

4. I believe the stock servo arm will work with this servo correct?

I’m open to adding a BEC or a different server based on any suggestions you all may have.

Happy Holidays!

I run this servo, and an extended mount might be good, I added spacers under the servo/on top of the mount. Has worked just fine. are there stronger faster servos? Probably. Mine car has done hundreds of cart wheels and A lot of crashes and big jumps. No problems with it ever. Here are the only pics I have of it, maybe they will help you. .

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the pictures and giving your opinion. I recall seeing those in another thread but I’ve read so many lately I’ve lost track.

Will likely order the GKA extended mount and my LHS has the servo in stock.

Are you running a BEC with it?

Arrgh, New v3 Kraton...

I've ran about 2 hours total, mostly 6S. Running in light snow, no shroud. Now it seems the stock servo dies about 5 to 10min into the run. No steering and no sound from the servo... Should I get the Savox? LHS has them in stock; I can machine my own spacers. Could it be something else?

Great pics and explanation. Thx!

Think I'll buy or make a shroud too.

I would have a shroud for snow, too. I can't say SAVOX 1210SG is the end all for servos, because it's my first high end servo ever. I can say I've beat mine down pretty hard and it keeps turning. I can tell you that several guys have posted servos, that are 1/3 of the price and work just fine for them. But you should replace the stock servo almost out of the box.

I've sent off an email to support. It stinks that I have to drop $30 to $100 on this after so little use. Seems as though I'd be upgrading eventually so I ordered a Savox SA-1283SG (I'll waterproof it). Got a nice pretty shower cap that with a little modification will work perfect as a shroud. After watching some videos of the Kraton I've realized that mine worked fine the first time out but then started to not turn as sharp on the second run.

THat could be your trim controls on your radio. one of those knobs will change how far the wheels turn.

It would be the DR and it was set to max. It was/is likely a weak servo (or a fault in the ESC). I was probably not careful enough in protecting my electronics from the snow and also over aggressive in my cleaning and use of WD40. The deeper snow and running 6S may have put a lot strain on the servo also. No word yet from Arrma ... which is discouraging.

Thank you for posting the pictures and giving your opinion. I recall seeing those in another thread but I’ve read so many lately I’ve lost track.

Will likely order the GKA extended mount and my LHS has the servo in stock.

Are you running a BEC with it?
I run this servo, and an extended mount might be good, I added spacers under the servo/on top of the mount. Has worked just fine. are there stronger faster servos? Probably. Mine car has done hundreds of cart wheels and A lot of crashes and big jumps. No problems with it ever. Here are the only pics I have of it, maybe they will help you. .
so does this servo need the extended mount and washers to fit??? I just ordered one the other night will be here today

Mine is arriving tomorrow. I'm not familiar with other versions other than the v3. I didn't order a mount yet because I want to see how everything fits and if there is movement. Perhaps the stock mount is better on the v3 vs previous versions. Since this servo is taller I expect to have to make some modifications.

Ohh ok. I didnt know that it was taller. Hopefully it wont be to much of a pain to install. I been debating if i was gona get a new mount also.

so does this servo need the extended mount and washers to fit??? I just ordered one the other night will be here today

My V3 isn’t in yet so I don’t know if the Savox 1210 SG will require the taller aluminum servo mount and/or washers or not. I’ll be going GKA since they are a half hour from my front door.

Stock servo dimensions are 41x20x38mm and the 1210SG is 40.6x20.7x42mm so they are both pretty much identical in dimensions with the Savox being just a bit taller. Not sure how tall the GKA extended mount is vs the regular one - the extended one might not be needed. I’ll,pop GKA an email and ask them and let folks know what I hear.

Got an email back from Greg at GKA - will need the GKA extended mount for the 1210SG if you go that route.

Not sure about the Voltage or Hot Racing servo mounts.

Bought the Savox 1210 yesterday, the stock one held up for two whole months... Put it in with the GKA mount and took it for a drive this afternoon and its doing the job well..no glitches or whatever. Going to a bmx track tomorrow and see how its holding up.

So i ended up getting the hot racing servo mount. Fits perfect with this servo and is solid as a rock!! Tested it today. Great upgraded. 19$

NO BEC, and I don't notice any glitching or brown outs.
What is a BEC? I am having a glitching problem..i hooked up the savox servo discussed above today and all went well...i turned it on, steering tested fine, but about 30 seconds later it went into runaway fwd, also lost reverse. Is there some process i need to do to calibrate the servo with the receiver?

There were little C-clip type spacers in the front upper A-arm, where it connected to the bulkhead. I lost them in my early stages of working on my car with out being fully prepared to work on it. Small parts easily got lost. Without the spacer there, the toe-in angle was excessive. AR330218 is the Arrma part number for the spacers I lost. I happened to be swapping all my bearings out for Fast Eddies, so I had extras sitting right there. It's the bearing out of the bell crank I believe.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back