Senton Senton 3S BLX - TBR Senton MEGA front bumper modified to fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yak22

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Just wanted to share my findings with putting a TBR Senton MEGA front bumper on my new Senton 3S BLX. It seems that most parts that fit the Senton MEGA do seem to cross over to the 3S BLX. This assumption was what prompted me to contact TBR to see if they had been able to test the MEGA bumper on the new 3S version of the truck yet. They hadn't.

So we agreed that they would let me return it if it didnt fit. So that was enough for me to give it a shot. TBR seems to think they will develop a 3S version in the future...

But for the MEGA version of the bumper on a 3S BLX, let me start by saying, it doesn't fit. I managed to make it fit with some modifications, but it is not a bolt on affair.

Ive attached some pics to help show what I did to make it fit.

Basically, it appears that the new front diff housing is shaped slightly differently, it has a bit of a point on the front, whereas the MEGA must be flat vertically. (don't have one to confirm, but based on the shape of the TBR parts, this must be true)
image1.jpeg

Anyway, when you try to put the flat TBR bumper brace on, it doesn't sit flat. If you tighten the screws, it pulls away from the red aluminum control arm pin support.
image2.jpeg

So thats a no-go. From what I could tell, the brace/plate that mounts to the front diff housing needed a bend in it. Its made of Delrin, so it seems to need a bit more heat to bend it than some other plastics Ive worked with, but it was possible using a heat gun. So after determining where I wanted the bend, I heated it up and put a mild bend in it. This seemed to solve the issue.
IMG_2643.jpg

Though the upper support that bolts the bumper to the plate didnt quite fit right at this point either. So this needed a small upward bend where it bolts to the mounting block, just to reduce stress and to make things line up better.

IMG_2645.jpg

So once I figured that part out I bolted it all together and all seemed good. But then I noticed that when the bumper was pushed upward, as if climbing over something, all was fine, but if the bumper was pushed downward, the delrin support plate would flex and pull away from the red aluminum control arm support along the bottom. I felt that this type of downward force was unlikely, but not impossible during a tumble of some kind. So I added a small metal bracket in between the chasis and the TBR bumper. This bracket gets held on by the large underside allen bolt, and reduces the likelihood that the parts would flex enough to separate at the bottom portion near the control arm supports.

IMG_2648.jpg

Then the finished product:
IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

Im not sure if this is clear enough for someone to try to duplicate it, but Im hoping it is. If not, I can try to answer questions.

Man was about to order one till I saw this one info thank u still might try it like u said some adjustments

How exactly did u bend it little more detail did heat up alittle and use pliers or have gloves on use hands or heat up and put glove on and put on bench egde where bend needs to be and do it that way just trying to think how u did it

I used a heat gun, with leather gloves on. I had the part in my vise, right where I wanted the bend to be. I heated the part along both sides near the 'bend line' and then pulled it toward me a little bit at a time. Heat, pull, heat, pull, heat, pull... it was really a matter of getting it warm enough since the material simply needed a higher temperature to become a little bit pliable.

Okay sounds pretty simple no u explained a little more I'm going to order one

You may want to check with them to make sure they haven't already made one specifically for this model truck. I let them know all about the modifications it required, so Im sure at some point they will make one that fits correctly. No idea when though.

Thanks for sharing!! This seems like a bumper I need. I don't mind using a heat gun to get this bumper to work.

Thanks for sharing!! This seems like a bumper I need. I don't mind using a heat gun to get this bumper to work.
don't forget that you will probably need to build some sort of a bracket to keep the lower part from pulling away from the chassis as well.

don't forget that you will probably need to build some sort of a bracket to keep the lower part from pulling away from the chassis as well.

I have had the stock skid flex away enough to let one side of the alum brace come off the hinge pin and out of its groove. but I was able to put it back in with no tools, just flexing it by hand so it wasn't too bad. plus I ran without the alum brace for quite a while and nothing broke. that bulk looks pretty damn beefy even without that brace.

Hello there guys, first time posting on forum so far but figured i would chime in on this one as i recently installed one of these bumpers on my Senton Mega 4x4. I have the same exact gap as you have shown in your second picture. Pretty sure the differential cases are the same on both chassis, at least as far as part numbers go, so there must be a little more to this. Something a tad bit off with tolerances when these are being made maybe?

It seems all of the plates that bolt to the diff housing need a bend to accommodate for this gap, at least in our case.

Hmm. thats interesting. Im surprised that T-Bone didnt mention that when I provided them with all of my findings. Maybe its just poorly designed.

Thanks for sharing this info! I have a Senton bumper that I bought in an auction by mistake that I will be installing on my sons new Senton 3s that I will be picking up today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back